The Arterie

I picked up a framed poster from The Arterie this morning, the usual high quality workmanship which I was always go there. Sadly this may no longer be possible quite shortly as they have had a rent review which may well put them out of business. The manager told me that he has had the week from hell dealing with solicitors and surveyors as a result.

Not good news for Northcross Road or ED generally.(td)

I did the same and got the same story. All very sad, and so horribly shortsighted of the landlords.

All they'll achieve is pushing out the businesses that make the road what it is, and the only people who'll afford the rents are of course the chains.

Wimbledon village here we come.

Anyway I asked him to mention here where he'll be moving to as my pictures were also of superb quality, and he'll be a loss to the area.

Oh no! I use the Arterie fairly regularly it will be a travesty if he gets priced out of North Cross road, I hope that it doesn't come to that. If he has to move I agree that it would be a good thing to know where to so I can continue to use his services.

I know the chap well. This has been in the offing for a while.Workshop space for a business liek this is valuable.

I can understand why the landlord is doing it as well - he isnt a charity, as much as it galls me.

I have heard anterior trading in northcross road are closing down because the rent has been increased.The poor independants are being priced out of the market,so eventually we will have no choice but have the chains move in.What do you do????

Actually, I can't understand why landlords are doing this. I can't see any chains in their right minds wanting to be in North Cross Road. Food/drink/entertainment venues may be a different matter, but wouldn't that require a different type of licence?

And a chain may be here today, and gone tomorrow when the rate of return doesn't pan out straight away. Unless what they're after is investment property per se, Tesco-style, and then they won't be paying rent.

Does anyone recall what happened in Soho? Many of the smaller people were squeezed out, then hords of yukky sex outlets and sex tourists made it an awful place. Did not Westminster - that most Tory and non-interventionist of councils - step in?

There's something circular here: people come and shop because of the shops there now, paying current rents. If those shops go, those people may well go elsewhere, and the argument for raised rents disappears.