New Gym in Lordship Lane

Guest Filiz

I have just read the Southwark News paper and it stated that there will be a new gym opening in Lordship lane in May, maybe thats what the Walsh glazing will be turned into??

What is the point? we have Dulwich baths around the corner,why do we need another gym?

Hi Filiz

I feel another gym would be good because Dulwich Baths/Fusion gym is in a state of disrepair and after three years of them telling me investment is going to be made to improve it I don't believe them anymore. Another local, convenient to get to gym would be welcome by me. Does it say anything other than a gym is to open on Lordship Lane in May?

Quaywe, which one's 116?

Mark

According to the Southwark Development Controls website the gym will be at 8-10 Lordship Lane, which - I think - is the old Walsh Glazing site.

Excellent news!

from the website...

8-10 LORDSHIP LANE, LONDON, SE22 8HN

Change of use of warehouse building to Class D2 ( Leisure ) to accommodate gymnasium and physiotherapy together with alterations to front elevation (building is on Zenoria Street frontage, to rear of Lordship Lane properties)

I'm loathed to see that become a gym, I mean, Filiz has a point. Don't want to sound rude, but given it will no doubt be expensive (and, looking at the size of the place, exclusive!), I fear it will just become yet another place for overpaid, buffed up prats to feel good about themselves....

Jeez, what is it with this hatred of others based on assumptions as to what their pay packet to work ratio is? I'm going to make my own assumptions here based on your comments but can I guess that you're underpaid, not buffed up and looking for somewhere to feel bad about yourself. You should be happy that whilst you're clutching your can of Tennants Super and lying in a pool of your own wee in a shop doorway somewhere, these undesirables gym members will all be in one place where you won't have to integrate with them.

;-)

I agree - tha was a bit harsh also.... but needed to be said!

I also agree that it would be a shame to see Walsh glazing site turned into a Gym! - turn it into some decent shop(s) for all to benefit!

Is fusion really that bad?

The staff are sometimes a bit dozy but its pretty cheap, and manages to offer some very good concession rate prices to boot. The pool's a bit ropey (but aren't most public pools in London under pressure). I joined in August and was pleasantly surprised at the gym. I've never been a member of a swanky one, so maybe that's why ...

I've had great help from one of the instructors and I think its a fantastic resource to have on our doorstep.

If you want to see manky deluxe you should try the fusion gym at the elephant ...

That's interesting Mark, I checked that application with Southwark and it was for a French restaurant. Not sure if it was approved and judging by this post, it wasn't and is now going to be a gym!

There were people surveying on LL about 6-9 months ago asking residents if they wanted a gym locally. Thinking it was 116 I was all for it (as I was living about 50 meters away at the time.

I WISH ALL THIS PLANNING WOULD END AND SOMEONE WOULD ACTUALLY OPEN THEIR DOORS SO ALL OF THESE MYSTERIES ON WHO IS OPENING WHERE COULD BE SOLVED!!!

article in southwark weekender about the new gym. and I think Southwark weekender might be sneaking onto the forum for their east dulwich gossip.

here's the link to the company setting up the new "gym" on lordship lane:

http://www.esphysicalhealth.com/

article in southwark news as follows:

"Gym junkies of East Dulwich will be star jumping for joy when they find out a new elaborate gym is set to open up on Lordship Lane

The fitness centre is the next step for ES Physical Health (ESPH), a Camberwell based physiotherapy practice that has decided to spread its aerobic wings.

Work on the gym begins at the end of January with a proposed kick off date sometime in May (just in time to build a new body for spring!).

ESPH managing director Max Sharp said the proposed get-fit centre would entertain a whole new concept. Apparently the fitness Mecca will offer a combination of traditional and alternative medicines (there'll be an orthopaedic and sports doctor in the house as well as experts in acupuncture, massage and nutrition) plus exercise facilities for groovy classes like Pilates, yoga and Tai Chi, all under the one Lordship Lane roof.

Before you start thinking, 'Ho hum, not another gym sprouting up to bleed my bank account dry with exorbitant joining fees,' there is a positive catch. This gym is promising not to charge a joining fee, just a modest rolling monthly subscription.

We know you're excited but it's not open yet - watch this space and the Weekender will keep you in the loop."

Theirs No way we need another Gym! Im sorry but even though Dulwich Fusion Isnt the best its definately not the worse Gym ive seen! Its better than some of the first class gyms ive been to! If its a good work out your looking for, you wont notice the diference between the politics of a "better Gym" or fusion. If your someone that wants that little bit extra, then you probebly wont mind traveling to find what you want.

when fusion re-opens once the roof that fell in is repaired i'll have another look! not sure how politics has anything to do with wanting a safer, cleaner and more user friendly gym. sure the machines are as good as most places so therefore shouldn't effect your workout, but all the other little things mount up to make it one annoying experience.

This new thing doesn't look much like your traditional gym - one of their specialities is treating circus injuries. Lots of that on Lordship Lane...It also says that all cardiovascular sessions are a maximum of 4 per class and take place with a pysiotherapist. How is that like a normal gym?

Fusion isn't the worst gym I've seen, true, but it is the worst gym I've worked out in, or been given a workout induction in. The staff were so uninterested I could have tied myself up in a skipping rope and they wouldn't have noticed. The fact that I have a bad knee seemed lost on them too, and yes, I have decided to travel all the way to Streatham - I get excellent advice, and knowledgable staff to talk to, and I actually want to get in the pool...

Its true that staff are about as usful as someone trying to water a rubber tree. Thats not the worse thing! Whats worse is that they get paid the same as anyone in a first class gym. I used to be a Manager of a local gym (im not saying which one) And as much as the staff may be as qualified or even competant as anyone else they are cirtainly not as motivated! I left because the values of customer service seems to play second fiddle to Sales! Thus the empathy one would encounter at any one time! I would like to point out that this is my opinion only!

David, what I ment by Politics was that during a work out there are "house rules " if you like or "unwriten rules!" Like waiting times for machines and who might be next in line. That sort of thing. In a bigger gym there are less politics than a smaller gym.

Jo, did you tell them you had a bad knee?