Transport in south london

This is a complete shamble. And the annoying thing is that i used to be pretty easy. I'm going via Brixton now. Husband drops me off and picks me up -- not ideal but I can't bear using the East London line now Southern's got so bad. It's so crowded I had a panick attack recently.

It's taken x number of years for us to have a 24 hour subway service, we are i. Zone 2 and no nearby tube options. The trains are on strike constantly damaging business and individuals beyond repair in some cases. We get a bit of snow and everything closes down, can't even jump a taxi. This city is a bloody disgrace in terms of the transport network, is it any wonder many only use cars in 2016?

Louisa.

TFL seem to make transport improvements where the transport is already good (maybe because it's a quick win? or apparently cheaper?) and they forget about areas like ED/surrounding areas which desperately need transport improvements. There's no motivation to make it better.

The Victoria line service from Brixton tube is very good because it's so frequent and gets you to Oxford street in 15 minutes but it's such a shame that it's so near but so far! It's only 15 minutes by car but no parking is available so you need to be dropped off (if you are fortunate to have someone who can help), Uber is approx ?6-9 (one way) which is too expensive for daily travel, we don't have the flexibility of having access to Santander bikes (which the majority of zone 2 in the rest of London seem to have), the London overground doesn't stop at Brixton despite passing through Brixton station and there are only a tiny number of infrequent buses that serve Brixton from ED. It seems the best option is to cycle to work or to a station (if work is too far). The 'bike hangars' have been installed all over lambeth but very sporadic in ED...

Sadly no improvements are due to be made any time soon!! ps keep complaining to Sadiq, we've got nothing to lose.

A main part is that until the London Bridge works started, the Southern line from North / East Dulwich was fairly regular, reliable and decent.

That all fell apart in early 2015. With the strikes and industrial action over the summer when we had one train an hour in the peaks, which is repeating again now, things are just bad.

When Ken was mayor and Labour in government, there was some joined up working and TfL got hold of the old Silverlink services, i.e. West and North London lines.

When Boris was in charge, and we had a Conservative government, TfL gained hold of some more North East London / Essex routes.

Now that Khan is our Labour mayor, and Chris Grayling / Conservatives in charge of Transport at a government level, there will be no collaboration. Things seem to get worse when the mayor is of a different political orientation to the ruling government.

Lowlander Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Now that Khan is our Labour mayor, and Chris

> Grayling / Conservatives in charge of Transport at

> a government level, there will be no

> collaboration. Things seem to get worse when the

> mayor is of a different political orientation to

> the ruling government.

Indeed - particularly as Grayling has reneged on the agreement struck with Boris to hand Southern to TfL for, it appears, no other reason than petty party politics.

Grayling doesn't seem to care much about cyclists if recent reports are true.

How about a bus to Elephant and then Bakerloo or Northern? Masses of buses go to the Elephant including two from the LL area. Or a 37 or P4 to Brixton - not so good but a possibility.

But I agree with the comments about the inadequacy of S London transport.

Things also get bad for all front line services when the local governments are a different hue from central government- it is a direct indication that we are being used as pawns in their stupid power games.....front line services being used as political footballs...they have no social conscience or intelligence- if they did they would NEVER be politicians.

Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> Grayling doesn't seem to care much about cyclists

> if recent reports are true.

>

> How about a bus to Elephant and then Bakerloo or

> Northern? Masses of buses go to the Elephant

> including two from the LL area. Or a 37 or P4 to

> Brixton - not so good but a possibility.

>

> But I agree with the comments about the inadequacy

> of S London transport.

Also 185 to Oval (for Northern Line) or Vauxhall (for Victoria Line). 63 (I think) also goes to Oval.

Often quicker than going to the Elephant, once you are on the bus, but does depend on how long you would have to wait for it.

Sue Wrote:

> Zebedee Tring Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Grayling doesn't seem to care much about

> cyclists

> > if recent reports are true.

> >

> > How about a bus to Elephant and then Bakerloo

> or

> > Northern? Masses of buses go to the Elephant

> > including two from the LL area. Or a 37 or P4

> to

> > Brixton - not so good but a possibility.

> >

> > But I agree with the comments about the

> inadequacy

> > of S London transport.

>

>

> Also 185 to Oval (for Northern Line) or Vauxhall

> (for Victoria Line). 63 (I think) also goes to

> Oval.

>

> Often quicker than going to the Elephant, once you

> are on the bus, but does depend on how long you

> would have to wait for it.

63 goes Old Kent rd-- New Kent Rd-- Elephant and Castle then Blackfriars -- Farrindon -- Kings Cross

Foxy

63 has been my usual route to work in the city for years after getting fed up with unreliable poorly timetabled Thameslink services, but it's been getting slower and slower in recent years so I am seriously thinking of getting into cycling.

I can ride a bike but never done so in London, but am told that it's possible to get into town without having to dodge too much traffic now what with some segregated cycle lanes and so forth. Southwark do courses to help you get into cycling and my office has secure bike storage and showers etc. Might leave it to the spring when it will be light when I leave work though - not best to do in the dark when am a bit nervous.

indiepanda Wrote:

> 63 has been my usual route to work in the city for

> years after getting fed up with unreliable poorly

> timetabled Thameslink services, but it's been

> getting slower and slower in recent years so I am

> seriously thinking of getting into cycling.

>

> I can ride a bike but never done so in London, but

> am told that it's possible to get into town

> without having to dodge too much traffic now what

> with some segregated cycle lanes and so forth.

> Southwark do courses to help you get into cycling

> and my office has secure bike storage and showers

> etc. Might leave it to the spring when it will be

> light when I leave work though - not best to do in

> the dark when am a bit nervous.

The Southwark courses are brilliant - turned Mrs.H from a keen but nervy rider into a thoroughly confident one. The cycle routes are absolutely superb, from Peckham library to the City there's only one short stretch on very quiet streets, otherwise all off road and safe as houses. I've heard the bike trains are excellent too - good luck and enjoy, the privilege of being in control of your own journey instead of relying on traffic/public transport/strikes cannot be overestimated!

rendelharris Wrote:

> The Southwark courses are brilliant - turned Mrs.H

> from a keen but nervy rider into a thoroughly

> confident one. The cycle routes are absolutely

> superb, from Peckham library to the City there's

> only one short stretch on very quiet streets,

> otherwise all off road and safe as houses. I've

> heard the bike trains are excellent too - good

> luck and enjoy, the privilege of being in control

> of your own journey instead of relying on

> traffic/public transport/strikes cannot be

> overestimated!

Thanks for the encouragement - yes, the lady who runs the bike train has sent me the details of that too which sounds like a great idea. Just got to find a safe route to the Peckham Rye station - am definitely not cycling along the bus route down Forest Hill Road and Rye Lane.

I remember that when the hypothetical extension of the Tube to ED was discussed some time ago on EDF, there were a few people who opposed the idea for spurious reasons. However, at the time there were no actual extension proposals.

I believe that when the Clapham Junction to Surrey Quays section of the Overground was first proposed, there was a possibility that it would run at one point via Peckham Rye and ED, but this never came to fruition.