Walk to school week starting May 21..in East Dulwich

Sounds like a good idea. They could do with one of those in Camden as it's appalling the level of one mum one child 500 yards 4x4ing that goes on here.

Is east dulwich as bad in people's experience (I'm long gone by school run time)?

*incidentally will the growth of the suuburban pirate result in global cooling?

ah ..all together now

The Animals go in 4 by 4s hurrah hurrah

The Animals go in 4 by 4s hurrah hurrah

The Chelsea tractor keeps the kids safe

Oil and breeding going to waste

And they all go much to fast down on the old school run

And to think when I were a wee lad on those rare days I wasn't forced to walk the mile and a half to school (hail, rain or shine) , the 3 of used to squeeze into a little tiny Renault with nary a word about "visibility", "feel safer" or "needing the space"

Just imagine if everyone walked to school how many more people would be on the streets, thus making it both safer and more community-feeling. People less likely to get up to no good if there are more people on the streets instead of zooming around everywhere

(feels the soapbox totter after getting it out so early in the day)

Yep, walked or cycled, or walked with cycle the 2 miles everyday for 14 years. That's where I had fun with mates and larked and so forth.

I feel sorry for kids who know nothing but home, school and the inside of a bloody car, it's just plain wrong.

[borrows sean's soapbox for 2 minutes]

Can I borrow it for just a sec.

Just started letting my 10 year old walk from East Dulwich Grove down to the Hamlet with a few of his mates. Very nervous at first and trailed him from behind and was amazed/chuffed at how sensible and responsible he was. Its hard to let go but it gives them a real buzz to know that theyre grown up enough to be let loose a little.

Tillie

In a few more years they may even be shirking work, talking to strangers on the internet and then getting muellered in the pub with them later

.... oh wait

Back on topic: It's something parents and adults find all too easy to forget - that joy of doing stuff on your own. I used to love being asked to go to the shops to do "the messages" (one for DulwichMum that) all on my own and when I was walking back I had my head buried deep in a newspaper. I felt so grown up. And I was only 6 (true - a nerd even then)

Ah, so Sean's a Scot!!

We walk to school every day, and I think most of the Heber parents who are quite local do so too. But why are parents (i.e. mothers) always slated for increasing the traffic, when it's (car)commuters who are worst? Blame the mothers, that's what I say!!!

Oh Sean - you have taken me back - I haven't heard that expression for years. The number of times I did my mammy's messages - quarter of ham, loaf of plain bread and a pint of milk. Of course growing up then in Northern Ireland there was always the chance that your kid could get caught up in something life threatening with bomb blasts/ shootings but I was still walking to school age 5 with my older sister. After all she was seven! Who says that times are more dangerous now?

We started up a walking bus to Goodrich School about 5 years ago now. We tramp up to school up CPR come rain or shine 3 mornings a week wearing our stylish fluorescent tabards. What's happenning now though is that as the school catchment area has shrunk we aren't getting families from down CPR any more.

If any one interestd in starting up a walking bus at your local school contact Southwark Safer Routes to School. They did road safety training with the children and the parents.

It is hard work keeping the commitment going but much better than driving for all the obvious reasons. Nice and sociable too!