Forum Sponsors

http://www.elwyns.com/

www.dulwichcarpetcompany.co.uk

www.hensonsecurity.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
messageRe: Zip cars leaving vehicles in our road
Posted by daveybigpotatoes 07 June, 2017 12:42

Generally people who use Zipcar don't have a car. As such it seems perfectly reasonably to me for these folk to be able to park a hired car on the street near their house, or to leave a car there waiting for a new user.
This all equates to less cars on our streets on average.

Posted by ianr 07 June, 2017 13:38

I'm doubtful that they're doing anything actionable. They don't seem to be engaged in the "selling or exposing or offering for sale of any article", which could bring them within the Street Trading provisions of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, [www.legislation.gov.uk] if Southwark have adopted them. Nor do they seem to fall within the nuisance parking provisions of the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005, [www.legislation.gov.uk], which stops businesses placing cars for _sale_ on the highway within 500 metres of each other. I doubt Zipcar are doing either. Are there any other possibilities?

Their accounts for the year to 31/12/2015, btw, declared an operating loss of £3.5 million. [beta.companieshouse.gov.uk]

Posted by jocher 09 June, 2017 13:05

If you have a Zip Car that has been parked in your road for a week or so it is not likely to moved for at least a month when Zip Cars are launching a new scheme.
Please can you advise Louise Clarke from the Radio 4 You & Yours team who is interested in Zip Cars with advertising logos parking in residential streets. louise.clarke-rowbottom@bbc.co.uk

Posted by edhistory 09 June, 2017 13:10

Is the Oakhurst Grove one a fully liveried Zip-Car that is suspected of being used as advertising?

Mr Barber (IIRC) had some success in having advertising vehicles remove from East Dulwich Road.

Posted by jocher 09 June, 2017 13:21

Yes it is. I have e mailed Cllr Barber.

Posted by OutOfFocus 10 June, 2017 04:58

Are these zip cars not actually hireable. Perhaps someone with a zip account could check (ie see if they are available for hire).

Posted by edhistory 10 June, 2017 09:14

These are street advertisements if they are not for hire, even when they are parked in an approved bay.

Posted by jocher 10 June, 2017 13:19

Zip Cars told me this car is currently not for hire . Not until the new Flex scheme is introduced...sometime in the summer? They will not be moving the car until then. I don't see Oakhurst Grove as the perfect advertising location, but basically that is what they are doing I guess?

Posted by Applespider 10 June, 2017 14:43

As someone who is a target market for Zipcar, being able to leave it somewhere other than where it was collected from makes it hugely more appealing. If I choose to park it outside my house (or a friend's further afield) it is no different to other residents than if I was parking my own vehicle. Once scheme fully running, that space is likely to become free more quickly than if it depended on next time I needed to drive.

What doesn't seem clear is how Zipcar will ensure one doesn't end up abandoned or how they deal with a majority ending up in the wrong place (i.e. multiple users drive into town on a Saturday evening but take taxis home. How do the cars get redistributed back to where suburbia want them on Sunday morning?) The hire bike companies have trucks to help them get bikes to/from hotspots. Are Zipcar going to end up with shipping drivers around to spread cars back out or move those which are 'abandoned' in an unpopular location?

Posted by Sally Eva 10 June, 2017 17:27

We were members of Zipcar (we don't have a car) but found it didn't really work for us. We used the Zipvans and they seemed to be terribly popular -- we took stuff to the recycling centre and found about 5 other Zipvans there -- some used by "ordinary people" and some by tradesmen.

But in London public transport is so good and cycling provision is getting so much better that we never needed a car for an hour or so (which I think is basically the Zipcar selling point) and when we wanted a car for longer like a holiday with a disabled person we just hired an bog-standard hire car because it was cheaper.

So I am interested to see how they get on.

Posted by jocher 12 June, 2017 13:15

Update on Zip Cars in Oakhurst Grove.
The Zip Car in Oakhurst Grove was moved yesterday by a Zip Car representative. I happened to be in the street and spoke to the representative who told me he was going to drive around and recharge the battery and his instructions were to re park in Oakhurst Grove later. He also left another VW without the livery a few doors down which is still there.
I haven't seen the liveried car since and if they are being moved around then it seems more reasonable rather than taking up a parking space for weeks on end. He said he didn't know when the Flex scheme would be starting.

Posted by Abe_froeman 12 June, 2017 15:06

There has been one outside the Dulwich Leisure Centre for over a week now which seems particularly obnoxious given the parking pressure there.

Posted by daveybigpotatoes 13 June, 2017 13:01

I genuinely canít see an issue in Zipcars being parked on residential streets for residents to use. I am not talking advertising cars as this isnít on Ė I mean Ďfor rentí cars that could make ownership redundant.

Posted by Beulah 14 June, 2017 17:30

Zipcar now appears to have the system up and running.
But I suspect the Flex cars may stay where they are for some time as it costs 29p per minute or £17.40 an hour to use them.
Zipcar says it compares favourably with a London taxi fare but surely only if it's not comparing it to a fixed fare.
Can you imagine being stuck in a jam, totting up 29p as each minute passes?

I do think car sharing is the way forward for inner London but it has to make economic sense.

Posted by alex_b 15 June, 2017 09:16

Can you only use the flex cars for one way journeys or can you use them for return journeys at the normal hourly rate? Seems curious to have two fleets dedicated to the two different journey options.

Posted by beigemartin 15 June, 2017 17:44

I'm pretty sure they're different fleets. I think in order to be able to honour return journey reservations they need to keep the fleets segregated.

Posted by alex_b 16 June, 2017 10:30

That seems like such a waste; hopefully they'll work out a way of combining fleets in future.

Posted by Jeremy 16 June, 2017 11:41

Beulah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> But I suspect the Flex cars may stay where they
> are for some time as it costs 29p per minute or
> £17.40 an hour to use them.
> Zipcar says it compares favourably with a London
> taxi fare but surely only if it's not comparing it
> to a fixed fare.
> Can you imagine being stuck in a jam, totting up
> 29p as each minute passes?

Taxis (both minicabs and black taxis) charge for time as well as distance, so if you're stuck in a jam it still costs you. The comparison makes sense to me.

The real question is whether there will be a plentiful supply in prime areas.

I'd also be slightly worried about the drink driving aspect, people using them to get home late after a night out.

Posted by Abe_froeman 16 June, 2017 12:04

29p to move one from outside your house to outside someone elses's house seems ok to me!

Posted by Brissie 17 June, 2017 22:53

Abe_froeman Wrote:
> 29p to move one from outside your house to outside
> someone elses's house seems ok to me!

Ditto! 2 have suddenly appeared in Zenoria St. Finding a park in our street is tricky at the best of times and with two babies to load into a car it is not feasible to park in another street, nor is using a zip car. (At 10-15 minutes to load/unload the car with seats & children.... almost £6 and we haven't even gone anywhere! Of course I am aware that young families are not their target market).

Hopefully these cars will be moved soon!

Posted by jimlad48 18 June, 2017 18:28

A few have appeared on 'the toastrack' as well - not optimal given how bad our parking problem is, but at least it looks like we're getting a CPZ in a few months time when it will go away. Given our parking woes, I suspect anyone picking up a Zipcar is going to spend a fortune in hire charges as they try to find a parking spot for it in our neck of the woods - plenty of residents spend 45mins - 1hr looking for any space anywhere within the free parking area on most weekdays.

Posted by MissWiggy 21 June, 2017 14:55

There's been one outside our house for 3 weeks and hasn't moved in that time. Apparently the tracker has drained the battery which means it doesn't show as being an available car, can't be hired and won't move.

Seems a bit counterproductive.

Posted by bawdy-nan 24 June, 2017 12:37

The introduction of a CPZ won't make any difference as you can drop a flex zipcar anywhere in the flex zone, aside from some housing estates which are marked on the app. I've used these cars a few times and found it great: going out when I know I want to drink, so driving there in a zip car and getting a bus home for example.Having access to them made a recent period without our usual car, easily manageable. It is, of course, not as cheap as a bus but its so much cheaper than a taxi. I find it more convenient and flexible than a "by the hour, return to the bay" hire. If there were more of them and the rates settled into something combining the two schemes (ie they were more practical for a longer hire) then I might consider ditching the car altogether (thereby freeing up a parking space).

I can understand why people who have cars are annoyed by these cars appearing on their streets as I know that parking can be tricky but you might be equally annoyed at your neighbours who have a car all to themselves. At least the zip cars are available to anyone who wants to use them. It feels like a better use of limited resources (ie street parking space) than a community where each household insists on having it's own car. This scenario clearly only works when not everyone has a car. Feels hard to make the case that private car owners should have priority over something with wider community benefit.

Posted by wulfhound 27 June, 2017 18:32

Quote:
Ditto! 2 have suddenly appeared in Zenoria St. Finding a park in our street is tricky at the best of times and with two babies to load into a car it is not feasible to park in another street, nor is using a zip car. (At 10-15 minutes to load/unload the car with seats & children.... almost £6 and we haven't even gone anywhere!

Eh? It's £7 per hour.
Quote:
Of course I am aware that young families are not their target market).

Personally have found their Golfs and Fiestas are great for family trips. Granted, easier once the kids are old enough to get in and out by themselves, but that could be said of, well, everything in life. Waiting for the day that the Flex model expands further south and west - so far the zone is so small, I can adequately make most of those trips on public transport or bike. But places like the M25 belt, Richmond Park, Wimbledon Common, Kew Gardens etc. are easier by car, and hiring a regular Zip for a whole day is kind of pricey.

Posted by Tomwiddowson 05 September, 2017 14:49

V51 Wrote:
> I'm a zipcar user and as far as I know, it still
> is and always has been the case that we have to
> leave the cars in the designated parking bay.
> Perhaps the person has hired the car with ganxorent for a long.
> period and is just parking there as though it were
> their own car? And then they hired a different
> vehicle?

Yeap it is like this. I always use it to leave the car park there. In the bay

V517 Wrote:
> Zipcar car rental is in other coutries too? I think it is a good way to rent a car like sirent.. that nowadays its getting popular and popular all over the world.

I guess apart from Uk there is also the option in Ireland or not yet? Anyway, each country has its own platform nowadays. In spain where Im from there's at least 6 or 7 at the top.

Posted by maswan 10 September, 2017 00:29

I'm a user of zipcar for over 8 years and a local resident. I don't see why I can't park the flex car close to where I live, I pay the same as anyone else as a resident in Southwark. The car is taxed, insured and has mot. I once owned a car but wasn't being used often enough. London transport is great but not always reliable and can never replace my need occasionally transport myself and things more effectively. If a CPZ was introduced and a zipcar bay wasn't close by I'd end up buying another car to park in the same spot.

Posted by EDmummy 10 September, 2017 11:04

Been using Zipcar for 10 months now. I no longer have a car left in our street and walk/bus short distances thereby causing less pollution. I can understand that those living in very crowded streets may find it a pain if parking is taken up by these cars but hopefully as take-up of Zipcar increases, there should be less cars on the road. I do have a quibble though, the bay on the corner of Barry and Underhill is poorly marked and as a result, there is often a non-Zipcar parked there. Needs re-marking.

Posted by peckhamero 19 February, 2018 17:36

I am also a zipcar user. I dont understand the beef. We are sharing cars which means less cars in the street?

Posted by KaiShin November 28, 04:30PM

PandG Wrote:
> Has anyone experienced Zip cars leaving cars
> locally in their road as ours has limited parking
> - I thought they had to be left in allocated bays
> but for over a week we had a Zip car parked and
> left without moving then yesterday it was taken
> away and another one was left in its place. I had
> phoned and then emailed them and the change in
> vehicles seemed to happen after that. But no
> response so far to my second complaint.
>
> Does anyone know what there policy is for parking
> on residential streets?
>
> P

I tried to use the zip car services, but I didnít like the service as I paid, but had to drive a very old and broken car, so I wonít use the services anymore. And after such an unsuccessful experience in renting a car, I got my personal a car, but the problem is that I have to move to another city and I need a company to transport my vehicles. Iíve been looking for a company with a high reputation for about a week and came across [www.a1autotransport.com]. I want to contact them for help, but I need your feedback. Has anyone used their services?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was november 29, 07:55pm by KaiShin.

Posted by davidq100 November 29, 09:53AM

KaiShin Wrote:
"I paid, but had to drive a very old and broken car"

Really? I am very suprised. All the zip cars I've used have been very new.

Btw I would highly reccomend Zip Car Flex for getting to Heathrow. You can drop the car off in the short stay car park at T5. Rarely costs more than £20 even including their £5 Heathrow fee.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum