Busy buses

This morning I got on another extraordinarily packed bus at the Lordship Lane/North Cross Rd stop, which then didn't let anyone on further up the route until Denmark Hill. There was a 5 minute gap before the next bus by which time all those stops would be even fuller. I know this is nothing new but I've noticed on lots of morning buses that a v large proportion of the passengers get off at Denmark Hill. If there were a peak time station shuttle, this would really ease the pressure on the bus routes going all the way into town. Is there a precedent for the creation of such a service in London?

I tried this when I wrote to the GLA, which replied saying that because people could still get on buses - even if they were very crowded - then different services were not needed.

The 176 schedule is changing, as are the actual vehicles, this month, so that may make things better. Without seeming trite, I suggest getting up ten minutes earlier or walking up/down-route (Dulwich Plough/ED station) to be able to get on, or just walking full stop!

Ha, it may not be an original idea but it's still a good one. Nigello, there were plenty of people who couldn't get on a bus but point taken about leaving earlier.

Katy Tonbridge Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Here's a thread from ten years ago suggesting a

> shuttle bus to Denmark Hill. Plus ca change!!

>

> http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5

> ,6561,6561#msg-6561

I am afraid to say I do not see it getting any better soon, though the revamped timetable of the 176 just may help. That is why my suggestion to walk up or downhill was a real, non-facetious one. Not everyone can cycle, or even want to try because of their work's location, their timetable, etc., but nearly everyone can walk and in doing so can help themselves and others, at least when it comes to bus crowding - though I agree that the powers that be ought to do more to help.

NewWave Wrote:

> We badly need MORE busses serving central London

> not less.

> The overground is always hideously overcrowded and

> I've noticed the 185 and 176 are pretty full most

> times of day

Not so. I use either route (whichever comes along first)to get "uptown" quite a lot between about 11.00 - 15.00 and neither are ever crowded.

Back in 2005 I lived on Chandler Way Peckham and had to catch the 343 on Southampton Way to get to work. At the time it was the only option in that part of Southwark and was consistently in the "top" 10 least punctual and most over crowded services in London. Nothing in SE22 remotely compares with that experience.

adonirum Wrote:

> NewWave Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > We badly need MORE busses serving central

> London

> > not less.

> > The overground is always hideously overcrowded

Yes

> and

> > I've noticed the 185 and 176 are pretty full

> most

> > times of day

>

> Not so. I use either route (whichever comes along

> first)to get "uptown" quite a lot between about

> 11.00 - 15.00 and neither are ever crowded.

I'm talking about peak times I use them between 7.30am-10.30am and 4.30pm-8pm

I'm pretty sure they are quieter if you don't need to use them to go to and from work.

Nigello Wrote:

> It is not a race to the bottom! I would prefer

> fewer buses through the day and more, or bigger

> ones (or smaller shuttle services) at peak times.

Agree!!!!