Bed and Breakfast

I think you'd be on to an immediate winner here.

There are a few other threads on local B&Bs on the forum somewhere.. A quick read will tell you that when it comes to putting someone up in SE22 the pickings are slim to say the least.

Definitely... we run a small computer training company in ED, and regularly get asked for local or nearby acommodation for one or two nights. We usually end up recommending places near London Bridge, as there's pretty much nothing around here that you would want to inflict on someone you didn't hate. Let me know when you open!

Paul

www.ubiq.co.uk

Hotel looks good! Though unless students are more generously provided for when I was one I dunno how many of them will be able to afford the 'budget rooms' (with shared bathroom) - at ?89.99 / night.

I'd be interested to see what literature on the local area they have in the foyer (Karaoke night at the 'Silver Buckle', anyone?)

I've only been to the silver buckle about 3 times, and actually I've had a real laugh, and no trouble each time.... However, there have been fights in there on each occasion too... :-S

Back on subject, it would be great to have a local B&B, but I fear that with the property prices in ED, the room rates would be huge just to cover the mortgage..... Hope I'm wrong....

Am I right in understanding that there's some tax efficiency with mortgages and B&B, in that the interest on the mortgage can be set back against tax? Could be an effective 'sideline' business in that respect: secondary income, like...?

I wouldn't disagree with most of that, Alan. I'm just saying students aren't often able to spend ?89.99 on a room for the night - so it's odd that the article trumpets them as one of the hotel's target potential guests.

Mrs *Bob* has visited the (old) Karaoke night at the SB.. alas I have only ever been on the outside looking in (on the way past en route to The Castle, usually)

Back to the hotel:

A travelodge is ?60/night en suite in London, I think.

This hotel is ?120/night en-suite

So the price is comparable - but only if you double it.

Huguenot Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Am I right in understanding that there's some tax

> efficiency with mortgages and B&B, in that the

> interest on the mortgage can be set back against

> tax? Could be an effective 'sideline' business in

> that respect: secondary income, like...?

also capital gains implications, the other side of the coin.

Alan.. there's a double room with ensuite available at Travelodge (Battersea) next Thursday. It's ?60.

Shall I book you in?

It was you who said "The PRICE is comparable to a travel lodge"

Obviously there will be NO COMPARISON between this hotel and a Travelodge. But it does cost 100% more, so the PRICES are not COMPARABLE.

Alan - if by "The price is comparable", you mean that it is possible for one to compare the prices, then yours is a very unusual argument indeed!

The Great Eastern is ?400 a night, so you may as well say that this is also comparable to the Travel lodge. So why would you choose the Travel lodge, when the Great Eastern is so much nicer, and charge comparable prices??

Indeed: Kathryn.. there's a gap in the market as wide as the English Channel here.

Over the last year I've had to rummage around the area for rooms on three occasions - two of which there was nothing closer that London Bridge, so I can't see how you can go wrong!

Alan Dale Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

It's also

> near to Hoa Viet- the best Vietnamese restaurant

> there is.

>

Off-topic for this thread I know, but I have to ask where Hoa Viet is? I've had such a hard time finding good Vietnamese food in London.

Thanks

Pedants.:))

Kathryn, if you can't manage a B&B because the capital outlay + capital gains tax makes it unattractive, one could make a few bucks by creating a local 'spare room community'.

There would be a website,which would organise payment online, and of course be the focal point for the bookings and an insurance service perhaps.

The site could charge a 10% service fee, and act as some sort of arbiter (like a 'star' rating) to allocate prices based on size and facilities?

No need to get touchy Alan... nothing personal, I'm just having difficulty seeing your side of the argument here.

Anyway, I would also like to add that a decent B&B is a great idea. A friend of mine (actually, my friend's Mum!) ran the London marathon last year, and stayed in a place on Barry Road, and apparently it wasn't very good. And I've also heard bad reports on here of the rooms above The Uplands. So I'd say that a nice B&B would be a welcome addition to ED.