A man dressed as a cyclist (asking for money)

Tonight for the second time a saw a man. He looks like a wounded cyclist. He asks for some money so that he can go to chemist. He has got a leg, that looks wounded.

He asked us for money, but I met him just a few weeks ago doing the same. I told him that I'd seen him sitting wounded a few weeks ago and he told me it had been his twin brother! He was sitting just outside East Dulwich Station.

This is a classic homeless trick. It's really sad but the fully substance-dependant ones will often go to extremes - even scarring themselves and opening old wounds. Sadly it works and the vicious cycle continues. Next time you see him I'd advise calling "StreetLink" who help people in his situation. They often have substantial mental health as well as substance issues, as you can imagine.

I gave this guy ?10!! huh. He was very convincing, and it all happened very quickly as I was driving, stopped only briefly at a traffic light and he looked like he had literally just had an accident on his bike. Ah well. Live and learn!

There's a guy in Hoxton (he stabs his own arm) who does a similar thing. He's a heroin addict, much like the cycle guy will be probably. It's pretty grim and shocking, but it's the desperate length these people go to.

Don't beat yourself up for falling for it, your heart's in the right place. It's a convincing con trick by a sick person. Sadly.

Some are really persistent mind.

Standing outside the pub (not local) yesterday and some girl decides she's not going to leave me alone until I give her a pound (for a sandwich) - just stood there in some kind of stand off and I think she'd have stayed all night.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Who?s seen the guy that stands next to a car pretending it?s hes and he ain?t got petrol and he even has a jerry can with him 😂

He uses the car park in chourmert a lot and the one that killed me one time was when he was standing next to a brand new jag and he asks for something like 20p towards petrol 😂

He has a Afro and in he?s Afro he carries paint brushes , and he goes by the name of artist

After getting to know him I actually saw some of hes paintings and they was amazing really really up there with the top artists .

He seems decent to talk to but he is hooked on drugs and that?s why he does what he does, still no excuse but at least he don?t hurt no one!! 😂

Hi Capitals,

I have also noticed this "cyclist". Can I just ask if when you saw him he had a bike, because when I saw him he was just walking around in a helmet! After I gave him ?10 (as I was in a generous mood that day) he then scuttled away clearly uninjured!

People these days.

Love to you and yours,

Jonty