Notice of Public Meeting 21st Sep Action to deter Crimes around Greendale/Footpath

Some of you might have noticed here that I have reported a mugging incident I have personally experienced. Since then I have contacted a councillor Sarah King who has very kindly agreed to chair a public meeting as below.

Meeting to discuss possible action after mugging at knifepoint on path to Greendale

At:- Albrighton Community Centre Main Hall, 37 Albrighton Road, SE5 8AH

on Thursday, 21 September 2017, 7-9pm

This path is a very important connecting route for pedestrians and cyclists from both sides of Greendale. It is much used by adults and children attending the many surrounding schools and nurseries, and by shoppers, and commuters using the transport links in East Dulwich. Yet it is winding, narrow, overgrown and poorly lit, with only one CCTV camera, further up dimly-lit Greendale.

Please come to this meeting, to give your views and experiences in the area, and your ideas about ways of making it more secure. And hear from Southwark Council's representatives, as owners of this path, and the police.

I think that CCTV camera on Greendale is only there because London Assembly member Caroline Pidgeon campaigned for it.

From memory that followed an earlier knife point robbery.

If you haven't done so already it may be worth seeing if she wants to get involved in this.

An abandoned, presumably stolen, moped has been lying like a slowly rotting carcass for about three weeks at the junction of Greendale and the path to Sainsbury's. I'm sure multiple people will have reported it and I think this illustrates the attitude of the council and police.

It would be great if more people can get behind this effort.

MP, give me a shout if you want a hand delivering flyers to local residents.

Yes the abandoned moped symbolises the problem we face here. The CCTV right in front of it but I am not sure if it's in operation to be honest. Tracy Umney,

Unit Manager for Community Wardens, CCTV, DABS and Environmental Enforcement will be hopefully at the meeting and can tell us more I hope but I will also update her with this abandoned moped.

Thank you for offering to hand deliver flyers! That is super kind. I will DM you.

Anyone interested in distributing flyers please text me on 07738951751 for more info.

Sorry to hear of your experience Musique. The Greendale pathway starting from where the Greendale pub used to be (where the block of new flats is now next to the Mothergoose nursery) right along to the old scouts hall near to the East Dulwich Grove part has always been a precarious walk. As you say, it's been a great short cut for many years to shops and local schools/nurseries but once you enter it then it's very quiet, overgrown and literally no where to go if you do feel worried.

I remember a violent mugging years ago involving a carer and children.

5/6 years ago I witnessed a terrible dog on dog attack.

I'm sure lots of other things have gone on in between and surprised that local schools, shops don't get involved too.

I am truly horrified to hear about a violent mugging involving a carer and children.. I will look into this and perhaps the police team who will be there at meeting can tell us more incidents.

I am now working on inviting businesses inc. Sainsbury's and DHFC and their gym and also schools and nurseries around the area but if you can think of any other places please spread the words around.

Attached is a JPEG image of the flyer. Not good resolution unfortunately as I used the VISTAPRINT templates to create it but hopefully once we receive the flyer on Tuesday we will be able to upload better image. For meantime please feel free to use this image.

Many thanks for your support!

hammerman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry to hear of your experience Musique. The

> Greendale pathway starting from where the

> Greendale pub used to be (where the block of new

> flats is now next to the Mothergoose nursery)

> right along to the old scouts hall near to the

> East Dulwich Grove part has always been a

> precarious walk. As you say, it's been a great

> short cut for many years to shops and local

> schools/nurseries but once you enter it then it's

> very quiet, overgrown and literally no where to go

> if you do feel worried.

I think the path being referred to is in fact the narrow one that goes from half way down the Green Dale cycle path / footpath to Abbotswood Rd by the side of the football ground. The main Green Dale cycle path feels much more used and safer than it did in the past ? mainly thanks to the number of cyclists using it these days. But it's the small footpath that's the issue.

I would agree that that part is definiely in need of a make-over and some kind of CCTV. I've not walked along that pathway for ages on my own (only with my daughters going to Sainsburys) and I recently told them to be careful when they walked there the other day.

Then again, I would never walk up the main Greendale path on my own as that's where a lot has happened in the past. Once you are going through there then there's no escape!

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I couldn't attend last night - any feedback from them meeting?

The connection with Greendale could be widened to improve sight lines. Overall the path could be widened. The eastern end could be made much more attractive.

I've submitted a Cleaner, Greener, Safer application so South Camberwell ward councillors can allocate the required funding or find other budgets.

James Barber Wrote:

> The connection with Greendale could be widened to

> improve sight lines.

Definitely - I'm very careful now but when I first started cycling down that way from where I used to live on Champion Hill I had a scary near miss, which still gives me the shivers, with a tot on a scooter who came shooting out onto Greendale - it was summer and the vegetation completely hid the fact that there was an adjoining path at all. Better sight lines and/or a warning sign for those unfamiliar with the junction would be a great safety enhancement.

Apologies for this delay reporting back to you all. I was busy with work and my daughter was ill for a week. We had a good informative meeting. I would like to say thank you to many of my neighbours and our community who have been very supportive. I could not do this without your support.

Councillor Sarah King brought councilor Barrie Hargrove , a cabinet member for community and safety. Also we had a manager at Southwark CCTV team and community wardens at the meeting.

Many concerns and issues were addressed inc. straitening the path, controlling and improving the vegetation as well as more lighting, adding another CCTV and possibly linking with other privately owned CCTV at school ground next and more signposts etc.

James,

It's wonderful that you have also submitted an application for a Greener, Safer Application. Sarah King is also submitting one.

We will organise a walk about the area together with councilors and Southwark CCTV team so if anyone in joining please keep eyes on here. I will update in due course.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear everyone,

I attended the public meeting and came away with a sense that while a lot of us love Greendale and the little cut through path, it really doesn't look like it. It's a mess, which encourages people to do bad things there. The victim of the knife crime was very brave and proactive in getting the meeting together - well done!

I walk my kids down there every day - and will do for years, so I've decided to try and tidy the little path joining Edgar Kail way with Greendale. People may have seen me sweeping, cutting back stinging nettles and picking litter, normally on a Monday.

North Dulwich Pot and Plant Centre have very kindly got me 400 Daffodil bulbs at cost (thanks Anna!) which I'm going to plant next Wednesday - 25th October. I'll start around 10am. 400 is a lot - and I could do with some help. So if you fancy a bit of guerrilla gardening, bring a trowel, spade, gloves and come and get stuck in.

To my knowledge Daffodils don't stop crime, but if we can make it look a bit more loved down there, perhaps it will make people think twice...

Dan

Dear Dan,

Bravo to getting 400 Daffodil bulbs! I will share this with my neighbour whatsapp group and hopefully some of us will be able to join you. I am planning to join you at 10am.

Coninuidetnaly I have just heard from LibDem Assembly Member Caroline Pidgeon today and it sounds quite promising. Please see the below for a response from the Mayor.

Security of quietway routes - Greendale - Camberwell to Dulwich

Question No: 2017/3839

Caroline Pidgeon

A constituent was recently mugged on a proposed quietway route between Dulwich and Camberwell along Greendale, which is a pedestrian and cycle path which is not overlooked, is overgrown in parts and poorly lit, with only one CCTV camera. What action are you taking to ensure that appropriate security measures are in place on cycle quietways? Will you look at introducing CCTV on certain quiet routes? What specific plans do you have to improve the safety on Greendale?

Written response from the Mayor

As part of the Quietway route selection and design process, TfL works with the highway authority or land owner to ensure that the scheme design includes the appropriate measures to reduce crime and disorder and provide a safe environment for users. This includes a review of lighting and surveillance, which is upgraded where necessary. Vegetation clearance is also carried out as part of the Quietway implementation process. Future maintenance of overgrowth once a Quietway has been opened is the responsibility of the local landowner or highway authority.

TfL agreed to fund CCTV on Greendale in November 2016 following a request from the London Borough of Southwark to improve surveillance. This is yet to be delivered along this route, but will be in place before the Quietway is opened to the public.

Caroline Pidgeon is now in touch with TFL to determine the timeframe of this process.

Musiquepiano Wrote:

> Dear Dan,

>

> Bravo to getting 400 Daffodil bulbs! I will share

> this with my neighbour whatsapp group and

> hopefully some of us will be able to join you. I

> am planning to join you at 10am.

>

> Coninuidetnaly I have just heard from LibDem

> Assembly Member Caroline Pidgeon today and it

> sounds quite promising. Please see the below for a

> response from the Mayor.

>

> Security of quietway routes - Greendale -

> Camberwell to Dulwich

> Question No: 2017/3839

> Caroline Pidgeon

> A constituent was recently mugged on a proposed

> quietway route between Dulwich and Camberwell

> along Greendale, which is a pedestrian and cycle

> path which is not overlooked, is overgrown in

> parts and poorly lit, with only one CCTV camera.

> What action are you taking to ensure that

> appropriate security measures are in place on

> cycle quietways? Will you look at introducing

> CCTV on certain quiet routes? What specific plans

> do you have to improve the safety on Greendale?

>

> Written response from the Mayor

> As part of the Quietway route selection and design

> process, TfL works with the highway authority or

> land owner to ensure that the scheme design

> includes the appropriate measures to reduce crime

> and disorder and provide a safe environment for

> users. This includes a review of lighting and

> surveillance, which is upgraded where necessary.

> Vegetation clearance is also carried out as part

> of the Quietway implementation process. Future

> maintenance of overgrowth once a Quietway has been

> opened is the responsibility of the local

> landowner or highway authority.

>

> TfL agreed to fund CCTV on Greendale in November

> 2016 following a request from the London Borough

> of Southwark to improve surveillance. This is yet

> to be delivered along this route, but will be in

> place before the Quietway is opened to the

> public.

>

> Caroline Pidgeon is now in touch with TFL to

> determine the timeframe of this process.

But that's for the main Green Dale cycle path / footpath, not for the small footpath leading from Green Dale to Abbotswood Rd, which I thought was the focus of these concerns? For clarity, the footpath runs bottom-left to top-right here, between the two fields.

The small footpath will be a part of the mayor? Cycling Quieteay as I understand. Currently there is a CCTV on Greendale which was finally installed last year thanks to Caroline Pidgeon so this sounds positive as they will be considering about installing one possibly on the small footpath. As well as Councilor James Barber Sarah King has also applied for the funding so we will see. Any news I will keep you posted here.

Musiquepiano Wrote:

> The small footpath will be a part of the mayor?

> Cycling Quieteay as I understand. Currently there

> is a CCTV on Greendale which was finally installed

> last year thanks to Caroline Pidgeon so this

> sounds positive as they will be considering about

> installing one possibly on the small footpath. As

> well as Councilor James Barber Sarah King has also

> applied for the funding so we will see. Any news I

> will keep you posted here.

No, BNG's correct - the Quietway will run straight up the hill, joining Greendale and Champion Hill, the footpath isn't a part of it. Good luck with your endeavours, the footpath definitely could do with safety improvements.