Guerilla Gardening on Greendale

Dan White

Dear everyone,

I attended the public meeting after the knife crime on Greendale recently, and came away with a sense that while a lot of us love Greendale and the little cut through path, it really doesn't look like it. It's a mess, which encourages people to do bad things there. The victim of the knife crime was very brave and proactive in getting the meeting together - well done!

I walk my kids down there every day - and will do for years, so I've decided to try and tidy the little path joining Edgar Kail Way with Greendale. People may have seen me sweeping, cutting back stinging nettles and picking litter, normally on a Monday. I'm THAT weirdo...

North Dulwich Pot and Plant Centre have very kindly got me 400 Daffodil bulbs at cost (thanks Anna!) which I'm going to plant next Wednesday - 25th October. I'll start around 10am. 400 is a lot - and I could do with some help. So if you fancy a bit of guerrilla gardening, bring a trowel, spade, gloves and come and get stuck in.

To my knowledge Daffodils don't stop crime, but if we can make it look a bit more loved down there, perhaps it will make people think twice...

Dan

Good on you. It's not weird to pick up litter that you didn't drop (I do it as well) but it's sad some think it is.

The council has a responsibility to keep the area clean and tidy, free from rubbish and overgrown foliage, so do let the local councillor know what the problems are.

Would Love to Dan. I have often thought of gathering people do do the same, but time constraints prevent me from tending my own garden as well as the gardening at our school, as much as I'd like. I remember seeing people doing gardening there as part of a community service....I haven't seen anything of the like for years, maybe people get locked up more readily than are put to good use. I hope enough people can get involved, With enough people, the whole thing can be done in a day.

I don't know whether james Barber's application for the greener safer grant was successful. I fear all works carried out will be destroyed by the proposed development, but you know what, maybe a revamp now will help the objections against the planning proposal.....in short, i have some rare time to myself to work on Wednesday but I will come over at some point in the day to help out, and once the family are back on Friday, maybe there will be more hands, See you then.

Thanks so much for this - what you do is greatly appreciated by those of us who use the path every day. I'm currently heavily pregnant so not able to do any gardening but will keep in touch with this thread when am less incapacitated.

Thanks again

I heard today on Facebook that the developers have withdrawn their planning appeal, so Greendale is safe.

Apologies if there is another thread on this already.

ETA: Oh yes sorry, it's on the DHFC thread.

I'll leave this here though in case people don't read that thread.

Dear everyone,

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that came down to help out with a bit of Guerilla Gardening. Waka, Jess, James, Kurt, Ben, Lillith and my Mum and Dad, Leah and Owen - you're all super stars and with everyone's help we go the job done in no time.

Bodsier - know you wanted to come, and we'll be doing other sessions down there on Monday early afternoons, so bring a pair of secateurs any time you like!! And for the many words of encouragement - thank you!

Dan

Hi Dan I just logged in to message you, could have sworn I sent you a message yesterday but could see no trace of it. I will pass by today and see what needs doing, and will fit it in where I can as Monday afternoon might be tricky. Will see if I can convince my son.... Thanks everyone who helped, it will really make a difference to all that use it. :)

Hi Dan I just logged in to message you, could have sworn I sent you a message yesterday but could see no trace of it. I will pass by today and see what needs doing, and will fit it in where I can as Monday afternoon might be tricky. Will see if I can convince my son.... Thanks to everyone who helped, it will really make a difference to all that use it. :)