Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.clintonmckenzie.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
messageRe: Forest Hill Road Surgery - again.
Posted by Stevieboy80 08 January, 2018 22:57

Very sad to hear of Dr McColl's Passing
Saved my life once after kings sent me home with stomach bug
Only for dr McColl to realise I had severe case of appendicitis
Very grateful for her time and professionalism
I will always remember her

Posted by rachel.dgc 16 January, 2018 09:27

Oh dear, I have just come across this:

[www.cqc.org.uk]

Posted by Penguin68 16 January, 2018 10:15

It is worthwhile reading this report in detail - much of this appears to be about practice management and (possibly) box ticking. Most recent (unverified) figures seem to show improvements. There are some concerns, obviously, but the impact of having a severely ill senior partner must have added to management problems, and indeed been an obvious distraction. There are clearly issues with the front office staff which have been remarked on before, and possibly training for the back and front office staff in some safety related procedures. There are also some clear positives in the report. It does not persuade me (yet) that I need to change practice (after 30 years).

Posted by dbboy 16 January, 2018 10:26

"I am placing this service in special measures. Services
placed in special measures will be inspected again within
six months.

If insufficient improvements have been made
such that there remains a rating of inadequate for any
population group, key question or overall, we will take
action in line with our enforcement procedures to begin
the process of preventing the provider from operating the
service. This will lead to cancelling their registration or to
varying the terms of their registration within six months if
they do not improve.
The service will be kept under review and if needed could
be escalated to urgent enforcement action. Where
necessary, another inspection will be conducted within a
further six months, and if there is not enough
improvement we will move to close the service by
adopting our proposal to remove this location or cancel
the providerís registration.
Special measures will give people who use the service the
reassurance that the care they get should improve.
Professor Steve Field CBE FRCP FFPH FRCGP
Chief Inspector of General Practice"

Surely the Practice should have made public and told its patients that it had been put into special measures.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2018:01:16:10:29:54 by dbboy.

Posted by Reg Smeeton 16 January, 2018 10:40

Don't be put off Forest Hill Road by this thread - it's still a good GP practice. There are several sections in the report that are headed 'inadequate', but if you read the summaries you'll see that most of what the practice does is good.

I've had two recent visits to the surgery, and I was happy with the professionalism and care both times. The biggest problem is how long it takes to get an appointment, but frankly that's the situation in many GP surgeries across the UK because of the immense pressures on a sector that has been starved of resources.

Posted by Growlybear 16 January, 2018 12:19

Well yet again I had a really positive experience of the practice last month. I wasn't too well over Christmas, and rang to see if I could get a same day appointment on 27 December. After explaining my problem to one of the helpful and friendly reception staff, I was given an appointment to see the duty doctor that morning - at 8.20, just 20 minutes after my call. I was seen on time, and as always was treated with courtesy and professionalism from the doctor and the reception staff. I don't think you can really get much better than that. I've always been able to get a same day appointment if it has been really necessary, and if it wasn't urgent, then of course I'm happy to wait my turn for a routine appointment like everyone else.

Posted by alice 16 January, 2018 14:39

Got a same day appointment and saw an excellent doctor.

Posted by dbboy 16 January, 2018 15:14

That may well be the case and perhaps the Practice is trying to improve and provide a more coherent service to the patients, although the inspection was undertaken six months ago.

Clearly from the CQC inspection being put in Special Measures cannot have been done lightly and it is done to force the practice to take radical steps for improvements which CQC can then measure when they next inspect and which should be about NOW.

Posted by bobbsy 16 January, 2018 15:40

I just tried to get a non urgent appointment - none available for the next two weeks. Cannot book further than 2 weeks. Only way to get one is "to keep calling each day or during the day as the computer periodically releases new appointments".

Palaver.

Posted by dbboy 16 January, 2018 15:55

computer says, but who operates the computer? ridiculous.

Posted by JoeLeg 16 January, 2018 16:25

Iíve geneeally had really positive experiences with the practice - was recently able to be seen at an hours notice by the nurse practitioner who told me my suspected ear infection was actually rampaging strep mouth (really bad tonsillitis) that required immediate hospital admission, for which I was very grateful (the consultant at Guys told me I wouldnít have made it another 48 hours without needing an ambulance).
My experience has always been that if you can get past the front desk staff the medical team are good. In my recent case it was only when I explained how bad I felt that the person on the phone suddenly remembered that I could see the nurse. And sheís great.

Posted by FredCasa 16 January, 2018 17:43

The question is not whether the doctors (the ones that are left), or the nurses, or the pharmacists, are good or not - they are -, but why the practice was left to deteriorate between the two CQC reports in 2016 (requires improvement) and 2017 (inadequate).

This is not just a box-ticking exercise: a GP practice needs good management and needs to be safe for its patients; FHGP was rated inadequate on both.

The CCG (Clinical Commissioning Group) has had the responsibility for performance management of GP practices since April 2016, so the question is whether they could and should have prevented this deterioration. The overall situation in Southwark is pretty dramatic: out of 38 practices, 11 are either inadequate or require improvement, much worse than the national average. Given the local councilís resposibility for Public Health, itís surprising they have not put more pressure on the CCG.

Posted by alice 16 January, 2018 18:34

Ring at 8am for same day appointment or go to Lister.

Posted by alice 16 January, 2018 18:36

When schools go into special measures they get support how does it work for gps?

Posted by FredCasa 16 January, 2018 19:06

Once a practice is put in special measures, the CCG does provide some support and involves the Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) as well as the Local Medical Committee. What seems to be lacking is a clear programme focused on turning a practice around once the first 'requires improvement' rating is issued by the CQC.

Part of the problem is that CCGs were not set up to deal with primary care. Now they are commissioning GPs, so there may well be capacity issues.

Posted by Growlybear 16 January, 2018 19:54

dbboy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That may well be the case and perhaps the Practice
> is trying to improve and provide a more coherent
> service to the patients, although the inspection
> was undertaken six months ago.
>
> Clearly from the CQC inspection being put in
> Special Measures cannot have been done lightly and
> it is done to force the practice to take radical
> steps for improvements which CQC can then measure
> when they next inspect and which should be about
> NOW.

I've been with the practice for over 40 years, and have always found the service to be excellent. I have always, without exception, been able to get a same day appointment if I really needed one, and I don't believe that my most recent experience has anything to do with the surgery having taking 'radical steps for improvement' - same day appointments have always been available for those who need them, as opposed to those who just expect to be able to see a doctor immediately for a non urgent complaint. I don't see what more the surgery can do - they offer early morning, evening, and Saturday morning appointments, and most times when I look online there are appointments available, albeit a couple of weeks ahead.

Posted by vito 16 January, 2018 21:46

I m not sure Growlybear..
I have been with this practice 5 yrs and no prob at all till now! I thought it was a decent service but past year it has been disaster. winter and flu need to be taken into consideration of curse but
It has been 1 week calling them and i still don get an appointment. for some reason it seems i always need to call another day..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2018:01:17:00:38:21 by vito.

Posted by dbboy 04 April, 2018 17:52

Seems things have deteriorated further at Forest Hill Road Group Practice. I had to hang on for 30+ mins to speak with a Receptionist today to resolve a simple issue.

I just hope the Practice can survive, seems the current approach is to inform Patients appointments are available at the Lister Centre in Peckham Road as an alternative.

Posted by singalto 04 April, 2018 19:19

I gave up trying to get through today and will ring the Lister tomorrow. The FH practice message doesnít give you the Listerís number which is daft.

Posted by solar 04 April, 2018 21:05

I'm afraid I've given up with their phone line. it's easier to walk down the road and speak with someone face to face. Difficult for anyone with mobility issues though.

Posted by wonderwoman 05 April, 2018 07:39

Regarding the Lister clinic I thoughtit was daft to not provide a message as Singalto says but when I spoke to them about this I was told you would only get appointment at Lister through FHR surgery as an alternative if you can't get an appointment on the day with the duty GP. If that's the case they shouldn't put the message on in the first place as it gives people a false impression or change the massage!

Posted by nxjen 05 April, 2018 08:37

Perhaps the current problem getting through is temporary due to the Easter holidays. I managed to get through last week and the week before within 10 minutes

Posted by dbboy 05 April, 2018 10:47

How does a telephone consultation get changed to a face to face consultation, answer incompetent receptionist, so why did I bother waiting for a call that never happened, Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Posted by James Barber 05 April, 2018 11:48

GP practices are regulated If you're happy or unhappy with any GP practice you can complain or praise them direct - they all have complaints procedure. if you're uncountable doing this direct with them you can do this via NHS England:
Complaining to NHS England - [www.england.nhs.uk]

By post to: NHS England, PO Box 16738, Redditch, B97 9PT

By email to: england.contactus@nhs.net

If you are making a complaint please state: ĎFor the attention of the complaints teamí in the subject line.

By telephone: 0300 311 22 33 - opening hours 8am to 6pm Monday to Friday, except Weds when open from 9.30am

Provide as much information as possible to allow NHS England to investigate. Include some or all of the following:
- your name and a valid email or home address for reply
- phone number in case we need to contact you for additional information
- clear description of what you want to complain about and when this happened
- name of the service you want to complain about
- any relevant correspondence

--------------------
Regards jamesvbarber@gmail.com
former Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward (2006-2018)
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Posted by alice 05 April, 2018 14:58

Thereís usually online appointments available. If all those with internet access used that method it may free the phone lines for those that donít.

Posted by nxjen 05 April, 2018 16:15

Except there's NEVER same day, emergency appointments available online. Which is why those, like myself who book online whenever possible because the whole procedure is easier, have to phone if we need to be seen same day, or at least speak to a doctor, same day.

Posted by dbboy 05 April, 2018 16:50

So finally gave up and went to the surgery, after some time saw someone from the Pharmacy dept who provided me with the prescription I was due. It was a very very painful experience to get something so straight forward. Suggest they put the needs of patients ahead of the mundane processes and procedures they have that are clearly designed to take ages to work through.

How about a community owned and run Doctor's Practice were patients needs are at the heart of the practice. Does anyone know if community surgeries exist??

Posted by Sue 05 April, 2018 20:47

I moved to Elm Lodge Surgery in Burbage Road (just up from Herne Hill).

It's less convenient than walking round the corner to DMC, but I'm very happy with it so far in terms of both the receptionists and the medical staff.

Posted by James Barber 16 April, 2018 09:23

Forest Hill Group Practice has been moved from being in Special Measures to rated Good overall in a February inspection apparently.

But that inspection said they needed to improve access to appointments and telephone management.

You can see the full report issued 29 March here - [www.cqc.org.uk]

--------------------
Regards jamesvbarber@gmail.com
former Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward (2006-2018)
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Posted by Renata Hamvas 16 April, 2018 12:52

Here is the Southwark News article on this.

[www.southwarknews.co.uk]

I know local residents have had a difficult time securing appointment and there are still issues to be addressed for example with childhood immunisations. I hope the appointment issue gets improved soon. While it is great news that the practice gets a good rating, this needs to filter through to better access to services for local residents.
Renata

--------------------
Cllr Renata Hamvas
Labour Councillor For Peckham Rye Ward
Renata.Hamvas@southwark.gov.uk

Ward Surgery
4th Thursday of each month (3rd in December), 6.30-7.30pm Nunhead Library, Gordon Rd SE15

Peckhamryelabour.blogspot.com

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum