Stranded car at entrance to Crawthew Grove

worldwiser

Yes it's my friends car. She's had a horrible day. She's been waiting for a rescue vehicle for hours. We are sat in my flat hoping it'll arrive. Apparently the same thing has happened several times in the last few weeks to people. That bollard needs to be made higher - (James barber? ). Sorry to hear about your delivery. We are desperate for it to be sorted too!

What a traumatic time for your friend ,I do hope that car is sorted and that she's back home now .

I once managed to get my car straddled between two roads of greatly differing heights .And then had to walk to local bar and explain by sign language ( rural hillside village in Spain ) .The inhabitants all turned out and physically manhandled car back onto the road . Excruciating .

How did your friends car end up in such a position ?

I've just looked at the image.

This sort of obstruction is intended to stop vehicles cutting across or parking on the pavement. You see them at the edges of roads, mostly to stop lorries cutting the junction by driving across part of the pavement or parking on it. This was presumably what the supermarket delivery van was attempting to do. The aim is often to stop the motor vehicle using a space too narrow for them to take at speed or even too narrow go through at all.

What was your friend attempting to do?

Given we get one of these every month or so on the corner of Adys and Nutbrook I have a great deal less sympathy.

This means she was cutting the corner and not paying much attention to where she was turning. She was also going quickly enough to drive up the bollard and wedge herself on it. It may be that the roadwork sign obscured her view, but she should have been exercising extra caution in that case.

As drivers I'm sure we've all had moments where we've been careless and most of the time we get away with it, but there could have been a child on that pavement waiting to cross as she cut that corner.

This is probably the 4th time since living here that I've seen this so I do wonder if it needs to be made more visible. Still struggle to figure out how a car going at normal speed would end up like this but I'm glad you got yourself out of the predicament in the end.

worldwiser Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is probably the 4th time since living here

> that I've seen this so I do wonder if it needs to

> be made more visible. Still struggle to figure out

> how a car going at normal speed would end up like

> this but I'm glad you got yourself out of the

> predicament in the end.

If it was higher the car would have been quite badly damaged from the impact but would have been easier to extricate I should think. So the road would have been blocked for a shorter time. It is black so I guess it could be painted a brighter colour.

betty31 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

That

> bollard needs to be made higher - (James barber?

I would urge your friend to check if she can adjust her seat height as the current position may not suit her. This bollard should be clearly visible as it is.

• 10 months later...

It happens by us all the time. The driver cuts the corner and the raised chassis of the SUV lets the wheel drive straight up the bell bollard. Usually it gets jammed in the wheel arch so I guess the driver was going pretty quickly to get so far along.

Prosecutions for driving without due care and attention would be in order, if you can't spot a bollard you wouldn't spot a child waiting to cross the road either.