We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

http://avakitchens.co.uk

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
messageRe: Dulwich Village Junction
Posted by TheCat 13 February, 2018 17:36

Dulwich Village was closed southbound from the traffic lights at ND station this afternoon.....are they opening it during rush hour anyone know? and how long works meant to take this time?

Posted by Applespider 13 February, 2018 19:05

P4 is diverted between Wood Vale and ND station until 5pm Friday.

Itís going via Lordship Lane and East Dulwich Grove.

So guessing itís clised for the rest of this week

Posted by slarti b 13 February, 2018 19:13

I heard from the council that resurfacing of Dulwich Village between Turney Road and Village Way will be finished today, Tuesday.
They will then move on to re-surfacing work at the main junction (DV, Calton Avenue/Court Lane and Turney Road) and this should be finished on Friday 16 Feb. They didn't say what closures will be put in place for the second phase but probably worth avoiding the area if possible!

At least the council have sensibly waited for half term to do this.

Posted by sjsl 15 February, 2018 14:45

I'm confused... why are they now digging up the recently laid surfaces at this junction?! Haven't they got better things to do with our council taxes Ė or at least roads that actually need resurfacing.

Posted by rch 18 February, 2018 11:50

FYI, there's a Traffic Order advertised in the Feb 15 issue of the Southwark News stating that Calton Avenue will be closed for Highway works between Feb 26th and March 1st (ref 4082). It looks like the Calton Ave works are going to be the final phase of the junction redesign project?

From memory, they are removing the pedestrian islands while taking out quite a few parking places in order to create more passing points, then the whole lot will be resurfaced.

--------------------
Robin
Twitter: @ex_cllr_rch

Posted by EDOldie 21 February, 2018 13:02

The diversion for the Calton Avenue works is scheduled to send the traffic from the Village that normally goes along Calton Avenue up Woodwarde Road, down Dovercourt Road and through Townley Road to East Dulwich Grove (if it's open that is) and the traffic from East Dulwich Grove that normally goes along Calton is to be diverted along Townley Road up Dovercourt Road and down Woodwarde to the part of Calton Avenue that remains open to arrive at Dulwich Village.

Now, I'm no traffic expert but I suspect that Dovercourt Road, which is not the widest road in Dulwich usually with cars parked on both sides of the road, may not be the best choice. I wonder if anyone has bothered to try the route out between 8am & 9am? This sounds like a recipe for chaos far worse than the daily chaos we currently see at the junction of Court Lane and Calton Avenue.

Posted by kirsty_74 21 February, 2018 14:20

We have just been advised by my daughter's school that the East Dulwich Grove roadworks will not be finished until 28th February. Surely Calton Avenue will not be closed at the same time? Or is that wishful thinking?

Posted by rendelharris 24 February, 2018 11:41

Not trying to provoke anyone, just giving an opinion, but I cycled through here today for the first time since the works have completed (I assume they're completed now?) and I have to say I think it's a great improvement. I was sceptical as to its efficacy before but now one can see the whole plan I think it works well. The road surface is massively improved (obviously this could have been done anyway), which is a great boon for cyclists, and it's much clearer now who should be going where and when. The previous ad hoc, go when you fancy and line up where you want, arrangements for cars turning right off DV have been replaced with clear markings which allows cars going straight on free passage, the phasing of the lights seems much better - I rode through at 11AM and there were only half a dozen cars maximum queuing at any of the five entry points, when on Saturdays preworks, as I recall, the traffic would often be backed up to the chapel roundabout and the Red Post Hill junction in either direction. This may of course be contributed to by the fact that people have been avoiding the area and previous traffic levels have yet to resume, but on the whole it all seemed to be functioning very smoothly. The only danger in fact was a mummy and daddy who decided the best way to teach Timmy, Maisy and Daisy (one in a pushchair!) road safety was to run across the road against the red man in the path of a large accelerating cyclist! Fortunately I have good brakes.

Just my tuppenceworth and personal observation!

Posted by Bicknell 28 February, 2018 21:48

I had a chat with the lollypop lady this week, and she said there used to be a lot of cyclists, but they're not using it at the moment. She said pedestrians can't cross the bottom of Court Lane because the island isn't there anymore. She doesn't know why they took it away. More cars are going through than before, but drivers still dont know who has right of way, so there are horns blaring all the time. My take is that its better for cars, and may be better for cyclists, but worse for pedestrians. I don't like the trip hazard of the raised edge on the staggered crossing.

Posted by apbremer 01 March, 2018 10:28

The raised convex slippery edges on the kerbs are LETHAL and an accident waiting to happen, particularly in this weather.. Would that our tame councillors note and ensure that heads roll at Southwark. Appalling design.

Posted by siouzie14 05 March, 2018 18:27

Hi all

In case you missed it, Southwark Council are now collecting feedback about the junction via the following link:
[consultations.southwark.gov.uk]

There are some very good points about the junction on this thread and I would hate for them to be missed by the Highway people at Southwark who might be able to deal quickly with the most urgent and dangerous problems. Cyclists for certain are unclear about priorities. The trip hazard is an urgent issue.

Thanks

Posted by rendelharris 05 March, 2018 21:26

Could you clarify what the trip hazard is? That there are kerbs which people might trip over? Kerbs have been around for quite a while, people generally cope with them...

Posted by Bicknell 08 March, 2018 21:57

rendelharris Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Could you clarify what the trip hazard is? That
> there are kerbs which people might trip over?
> Kerbs have been around for quite a while, people
> generally cope with them...

No mate, nothing to do with kerbs. To stop people walking straight across, because they want you to wait in the middle, they've made an edge higher than the pavement to make a barrier. But if you don't know about them you could keep walking, and trip over them into the traffic. Lethal, especially for kids. Go and have a look.

Posted by rendelharris 08 March, 2018 22:21

You mean the edging to the island? Kerbs! You're not seriously claiming people are going to walk straight on into them, trip over and fall into the traffic? Can't see it myself - for a start they'd have to jump the first kerb then run on into the next one...I'm all for keeping things safe but with all respect I think you're imagining a "lethal" problem that just doesn't exist.

(Picture lifted from former councillor Robin's Twitter, hope that's OK RCH)

https://i.imgur.com/nFCwjPa.jpg?1

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit was 2018:03:08:22:28:50 by rendelharris.

Posted by johnhinton 09 March, 2018 08:02

The edges of the staggered kerbs at the junction of Turney Road and Dulwich Village are sloped. It would be easy to imagine stumbling on the sloped edges while trying to avoid cyclists and other pedestrians while keeping an eye on the time left to make the crossing.

Posted by mynamehere 09 March, 2018 09:16

Please respond to Southwark Cyclists on this:

[southwarkcyclists.org.uk]

[s3.amazonaws.com]

Many people think a lot of money has been spent on a result that falls far short

Posted by 1921 09 March, 2018 09:19

Can something please be done about the following as I have witnessed the same thing daily and an accident WILL HAPPEN and very nearly did yesterday. Thankfully it didn't.

When driving onto Court Lane, with Harold George on the left and additional set of traffic lights has been put in for the pedestrians to press so they can cross. Car drivers ARE NOT SEEING THEM as they are driving on the green lights that allow them to move in the first place and are driving straight through them. It is lethal, small children cross here without adults, this is an accident waiting to happen. Whoever designed this should be moved to a different department.

Posted by TheCat 16 March, 2018 11:47

when will it all end?...Calton Ave has been closed all week....

We live in the Beauval/Woodwarde/Calton/Townley area and it feels like we've been surrounded by roadworks for what feels like the best part of a year....Townley road has been ripped up a couple of time in various parts, woodwarde partly resurfaced, Dulwich village junction...jst to name a few....

Posted by rahrahrah 16 March, 2018 11:58

The road closure signs for Carlton Avenue are really inadequate. Traffic from the Village backing up as people have to do three point turns in the road, whilst others continue to drive up behind them.

Posted by Robert Poste's Child 16 March, 2018 16:22

The traffic light sequencing is a nightmare. As soon as the east/west cycle lane light is on green, cyclists going ahead, left or right in either direction immediately hit a red light due to pedestrians being on green at the same time, which is confusing. As I've said before, when cars trying to beat the lights north/south outrun the lights and don't manage to get all the way across before the lights change, that means cars, lorries, mopeds, bikes and pedestrians end up competing for the same small box. This afternoon a few small children were straggling across after the pedestrian light changed and there could easily have been an accident.

Posted by ED - NAGAIUTB 16 March, 2018 16:53

If you're heading across from Turney Road and up Court Lane, now that you no longer have priority over Calton Avenue and have to queue, this causes a snake of traffic that then blocks the junction. Nothing that the drivers exiting Turney Road can do to avoid it or be aware of it.

Considering 2/3 of the traffic continues up Court Lane, this is so poorly thought out. Just like the rest of junction.

Thanks Southwark :-(

Posted by kp4 05 November, 2018 15:38

Sorry, I know this has been discussed, but I drove through this junction for the first time on Saturday and after reading this post, I am still confused.

According to the google map, driving from Turney road to Court Lane I had a priority over the drivers approaching the junction from Carlton Avenue. There is a give away sign on Carlton Avenue (at least on the map) My confusion is that many are saying this is not the case but why?

[www.google.co.uk]

I just want to make sure I drive through correctly as almost had an accident on Saturday.

thank you in advance
Kat

Posted by Abe_froeman 05 November, 2018 16:03

Zoom in a bit more to street view. The priority seems to have changed and the yellow box is gone.

Posted by montassa 05 November, 2018 16:04

Simple: Calton Avenue road traffic has precedent all the way through the lights (when its green) and now finally there is a yellow box to stop them blocking the way for drivers to go through to Court Lane..

in other words - if in a rush , head down Calton Ave and not down Court Lane

Posted by kp4 05 November, 2018 16:35

Thank you Abe_froeman and montassa, it is much appreciated. It is very strange that Google provides 2x different views. I agree, that it might be safer to head down Carlton Ave instead of Court Lane now. Thank you again!

Posted by ED - NAGAIUTB 05 November, 2018 18:21

Google maps shows the date the picture was taken. FWIW I used it to see if I could park outside the Peckham sorting office when trying to collect a parcel. Google said yes, the universe said no.

Posted by christgill 05 November, 2018 18:25

I can't see the problem... Both the Streetview and satellite view show "give way" markings at the end of Court Lane.

Posted by Robert Poste's Child 05 November, 2018 22:08

kp4 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thank you Abe_froeman and montassa, it is much
> appreciated. It is very strange that Google
> provides 2x different views. I agree, that it
> might be safer to head down Carlton Ave instead of
> Court Lane now. Thank you again!

One of the views is out of date. Until the start of this year Calton Ave gave way to traffic from Court Lane. Now it's the other way round, with the yellow box to stop the junction getting gridlocked (like it was earlier this year before they got round to adding it).

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum