Tragedy! Curry Cabin shut down

Jim1234

kford Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Memsab answered when I called a take-away in. Very

> good replacement.

Memsab are picking up curry cabins takeaway orders then KF? That's a nice bit of business for them and Memsab are good.

Sue Wrote:

> Memsaab are great for eat in meals, but the

> takeaways we have had from them have been so very

> not good we shan't use them again.

>

> No idea why this should be.

Did you actually pick it up from the restaurant, or was it delivered?

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Memsaab are great for eat in meals, but the

> > takeaways we have had from them have been so

> very

> > not good we shan't use them again.

> >

> > No idea why this should be.

>

> Did you actually pick it up from the restaurant,

> or was it delivered?

Delivered, on each occasion.

If we were going to pick it up, we might as well eat in the restaurant!!

Of all the curry houses on LL you thought Curry Cabin would be there forever. It's certainly one of the oldest - at least 20 years? We gave up the slop a while back preferring to make our own but sad to see it go. It's a good little A3 site that. No doubt Louisa will scour the planning portal daily to keep us informed, dropping a few decoy rumours along the way....

Can I start the bidding?

What about keeping the brown smoked glass windows kept and converting it into a 1980s hipster bar? This means music provided by Blue Tit, baggy snow wash jeans and white sports socks. No beards, plenty of caterpillar moustaches and a cocktail menu themed around Southern Comfort. There would be a soda stream on each table and a blurry CRT television in the corner showing Casey Kasem's American Top 40 with the sound turned down. On Friday nights there would be dancers who dance like Tiffany in that video with wide legs and fists held to the chest. A welcome blast of reimagined, Global Hypercolour-enabled synth amongst the bland but well serviced dormitory LL has become. And leggings.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> Sue Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > Delivered, on each occasion.

> >

> > If we were going to pick it up, we might as

> well

> > eat in the restaurant!!

>

> yes, except that

>

> A takeaway is a takeaway

> A delivery is a delivery

>

> :)

Oh well, I'm so old my vocabulary obviously is still stuck in the days before you could get the takeaway delivered :))

But presumably they don't have a different chef depending on whether you are picking it up yourself or getting it delivered :))

It is a rent argument with the landlord who wanted to double it, such a shame.

I am also a bit gutted Costa is appearing where Londis was, we don't need a coffee shop when LL has such fantastic independent ones to choose from.

1921 Wrote:

> It is a rent argument with the landlord who wanted

> to double it, such a shame.

>

> I am also a bit gutted Costa is appearing where

> Londis was, we don't need a coffee shop when LL

> has such fantastic independent ones to choose

> from.

Londis is becoming Costa??

That's very bad news :(

At least Costa, a UK chain set up by Italo-Brits some forty-odd years ago, is doing a little to combat the scourge of plastic/paper cups by recycling them - whatever coffee shop they came from. It also pays its taxes fairly and squarely in the UK - something that Starbucks, for example, didn't always do.

It's certainly one of the oldest - at least 20 years?

It was well established (well it seemed so) in 1988 - so 30 years ago. Probably rather longer. In all that time I've never visited it! (but have visited most of the other sub-continent restaurants in LL). Its then proximity to a foot clinic was oddly off-putting.

1970 I think.

> It's certainly one of the oldest - at least 20

> years?

>

> It was well established (well it seemed so) in

> 1988 - so 30 years ago. Probably rather longer. In

> all that time I've never visited it! (but have

> visited most of the other sub-continent

> restaurants in LL). Its then proximity to a foot

> clinic was oddly off-putting.

1921 Wrote:

> I am also a bit gutted Costa is appearing where

> Londis was,

Is this certain? I know it was rumoured to be a Nandos or Costa but I thought change of use had been refused.

In other news on the same stretch - I have heard (from the woman who runs it) that the Sogim Pharmacy (formerly Co-op Chemist) on the corner of Shawbury Rd/LL is also closing soon, rent too high.

I've been here since 1983 and Curry Cabin was around then. As for Sogim, another chemist which has been around forever. Was formerly a Co-op before becoming part of the two store Sogim pharmacy a few years back.

Personally, I prefer Lloyds on North Cross Road. Never have issues getting meds from them, unlike Sogim.

It was. I remember it opening. Mr Liu was Chez Nico in those times.

> 1970 I think.

>

> Entirely plausible. It had a very settled in its

> ways feeling (from the outside and reading its

> menu) in 1988. As did Mr Liu. They were the

> 'chinese' and 'indian' bookends to LL in those

> days.

Bic Basher Wrote:

As for Sogim, another chemist which

> has been around forever. Was formerly a Co-op

> before becoming part of the two store Sogim

> pharmacy a few years back.

>

> Personally, I prefer Lloyds on North Cross Road.

> Never have issues getting meds from them, unlike

> Sogim.

Always seemed to have a weird sort of atmosphere, that pharmacy.

Hi 1921,

A Costa wouldn't be a shop. The Londis is an A1 shop. I very much doubt the change of use would be agreed.

Unless Southwark Council has buckled without a planning fight on this.

We have planning rules that 50% of all units must be A1 shop units for the hopefully obvious reason that a high street without shops dies.

A lot of the big coffee chains have been known to open up in defiance of licensing regulations, and continue to pay the fines while they fight for change is use.

The Starbucks in Blackheath village is a prime example; they simply opened in a building that was not licenced for it, because the continual fines they incurred were a costcthe company as a whole was willing to pay. Eventually the council relented and granted change of use.

Now, if I were cynical I might comment on the link between a council receiving a load of money from the fines for a fight it knows it will eventually lose anyway but stringing it put as long as possible...The point is that Costa may be willing to chance their arm, in the hope that the council grants permission retrospectively.