Attempted M/Bike theft Crystal Palace Road

Ron70

Last night 3 x people on 2 x mopeds attempted to steel a motorbike on CPR (near junction with Silvester) using a battery powered grinder to cut through multiple locks.

The police arrived just as the last of the locks were defeated so the bike was saved.

Multiple locks and a quick police response is the only hope of saving your motorbike.

Unfortunately not, they just chased them off.

Apparently the police (unless specifically trained) are not allowed to chase people on mopeds/motorbikes regardless of whether they?re wearing a helmet or not.

Unsurprising that this particular crime is so prevelant when there?s very little risk to the offender.

kford Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Usual MO is one on the stolen bike, in neutral,

> with the scooter rider pushing them with their

> foot. Scum.

>

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4L6qRRwaFI

I?m not sure that method would have worked in this case as this was not a moped this was an 800cc motorbike so I?ve no idea how they?d have got away with it. I assume they?d have broken the steering lock and wheeled it away?

I know that this particular bike had a deep buried tracker fitted so it would have been pretty straight forward for the owner to talk the police onto its location after it was taken I?d have thought?

The owner said that it?s covered by CCTV which the police are now in possession of, not sure it?ll help but worth a go.

Kford is very naughty. I also used the word "scum" in the Hither Green thread and was severely admonished as only unpleasant people used that word about the criminal classes. We must realise that they are really only vulnerable gentle human beings who inadvertently chose a valid alternative lifestyle as their father had shouted at them and Ma made them eat their hated greens.None of their illegal activities are, in fact, their fault but forced upon them by the unfairness of Society. We are all therefore to blame blah blah....

apbremer Wrote:

> Kford is very naughty. I also used the word

> "scum" in the Hither Green thread and was severely

> admonished as only unpleasant people used that

> word about the criminal classes.

That is such BS. You were criticised on the Hither Green thread for your ridiculous ranting at the police for arresting someone who had killed someone else while they investigated what had actually happened. Get your nose out of the Daily Mail and try using your brain instead of whining about political correctness etc, it's so boring.

They're scum alright, who've had my big 675cc bike away twice using the methods I linked. Scooter pushing a proper bike in neutral, with the steering lock shattered. So common, every bike owner I know has had a machine stolen using that MO. I'd run the fuckers down if I could get away with it.

Edited to add the word 'f u c k e r s'.

Amber Rudd confirmed that crime rates are completely disconnected to the government funding cut for the police service.

There you have it in black and white. Crime levels are acceptable and all part of the government approved budgeted deliverables.

I am sorry about your bike.

Sadly, bikes are easy to dismantle and sell as parts and the police don't even bother looking for them, as they know they will already have been shipped.

Jules-and-Boo Wrote:

> Amber Rudd confirmed that crime rates are

> completely disconnected to the government funding

> cut for the police service.

>

> There you have it in black and white. Crime levels

> are acceptable and all part of the government

> approved budgeted deliverables.

>

> I am sorry about your bike.

>

> Sadly, bikes are easy to dismantle and sell as

> parts and the police don't even bother looking for

> them, as they know they will already have been

> shipped.

Apart from violent crime, Crime rates have fallen. The more we want to 'own' the more someone will come and want to steal it. The violent crime is down to overpopulation and pressure- especially on younger people.

• 2 weeks later...

For those looking for some karma, this happened, too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5637663/Pictured-Battered-moped-thief-tackled-rugby-playing-banker.html

Petite scooter-riding scrote (is scrote an acceptable term?) vs ex-rugby player Mercedes owner: not a chance!

A mate had his bike stolen while it was chained to a lammpost, near Forest Hill - Onor Oak. Grinder job.

The truth is, not much can withstand an angle grinder attack. Bennets ran some tests, and even the toughest chains only take 30-50 seconds to be cut: https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/motorcycle-chains-and-locks/how-to-choose-the-best-motorcycle-security

The tests were with main-powered grinder; I am not sure if battery-powered take much longer. Hydraulic cutters are even quicker, but they are more expensive and bulkier, so they're more unlikely to be carried on a scooter. An anchor on the ground helps, like this one with cement, but, again, nothing withstands an angle grinder, it's just a matter of time.

Some say that smarter thieves leave a bike somewhere for half a day or so in case it's got a tracker; if the bike is still there when they get back, it means it doesn't.

This by the BBC was quite interesting (and sad):

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcthree/article/eac0d5c6-86e1-417e-b52c-956c688829c4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p05x9kfp

• 3 weeks later...
Back out again last night - seen 15th May after 2am scoping motorcycles on friern road. Thanks to my neighbour alerting the police and making sure they knew they were being watched my bike (chained anchored steering locked imobiliesed alarmed and tracked) is safe for another day - but i've lost one on this road before. Thanks to James Barber for the ground anchor on my front drive supplied at no cost to me!

Thanks for the heads up. Any descriptions? How many were there and were they on bikes?

Also have a ground anchor thanks to James and the bike is alarmed too. My son was out of work for 3 months due to these cretins.

dmcd808 Wrote:

> Unfortunately we need a Saudi attitude to crime,

> commit crime and you will be punished very hard.

>

> Thas the only way to deal with people who commit

> crime and have low IQs.

No confessions by torture or head chopping thanks.

Just good police intelligence and catch them in the act. If necessary bring back indeterminate sentences (I'm sure May would love that one) or just chip everyone :)

dmcd808 Wrote:

> Unfortunately we need a Saudi attitude to crime,

> commit crime and you will be punished very hard.

>

> Thas the only way to deal with people who commit

> crime and have low IQs.

Sorry, we cut the hands off criminals who have low IQs? Or criminals and people who have low IQs? Bloody silly comment either way.