We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.hensonsecurity.com

All Round Renovation

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 21 of 24
messageRe: Goose Green councillors - how can we help?
Posted by Spartacus May 04, 10:25AM

Hi Alan
This was raised to James on the 23rd April as an upcoming issue and he's not responded with a plan of action on how to stop this happening

I suggest as well as asking James you contact the head of the council and also the head of highways to get an explanation

Posted by jamesmcash May 04, 07:18PM

Hi all

I have checked and apparently the baseline measurements were carried out from 28th September to 16th October 2015, when there were no road works.

Rockets - the residents were overwhelmingly in favour of traffic calming measures being put in place, but as I say - we didn't get as far as we'd like with the canvassing due to the crisis so results are only tentative.

hopskip - Can you email me with more details? They can be closed for a variety of reasons.

Alan Medic - Thanks for letting me know about this. That doesn't sound right at all - I will raise it and see what's going on. Sorry about the inconvenience caused.

I hope everyone is staying safe and well.

Best wishes
James

--------------------
James McAsh - Labour Councillor for Goose Green ward
James.McAsh@Southwark.gov.uk
[www.jamesmcash.com] [twitter.com]

Surgeries: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm, East Dulwich Community Centre on Darrell Road

Posted by Rockets May 06, 12:05PM

James,
Are you telling us porkies.... the numbers below that were posted on here sometime ago suggest something completely different....

Can you provide a source for that please? Soutwark Council's own traffic surveys do not support that.
Their figures for DV over the last few years show:
2014 = 15,414 movements
2015 = 15,055
2016 = 14,822
2017 = 10,007 low because of works to DV
2018 = 14,375 estimate because they changed the reporting basis
2019 not yet published

According to those figures there has only been a 47% increase between 2017 and 2018 when the DV works were being carried out.

Also, as you were canvassing the Melbourne Grove area were you offering your support to your constituents to lobby against the plans your colleagues in the council are suggesting for the DV area to reduce the impact on their area or were you merely lobbying for additional restrictions on Melbourne Grove as a result of the plans in DV?

Posted by slarti b May 06, 12:27PM

James, The source of the 47% increase claimed during the consultation and shown in related documents now seems clear. It compares Oct 2018 (14,745) with Sep\Oct 2017 (10,290) when the traffic was low because of remodelling work on the DV junction. For comparison, in Sep 2015\Oct 2015 the equivalent figure was 15,055.
I suggest you check again.

To be frank, this doesn't mean the traffic in 2018 is acceptable. However, it undermines confidence in the consultation process, and our local councillors, if they continue pushing misleading staistics. I have had enough of Trumpian fake news tactics.

Posted by Spartacus May 11, 09:57AM

James
Conway are at it again, today notices have appeared on cars around the junction of Upland and Barry roads requesting no parking from today with no prior notice that parking restrictions are being imposed.

Not good enough in a period when people are still being asked to stay at home and some residents are on enforced isolation

Please sort this sort of p!ss poor behaviour from Conway out !

Posted by jamesmcash May 16, 04:04PM

Hi all

Regarding the DV figures - as I have said already, my understanding is that the figures are not from a period when there were road works. If you think that that is untrue then I suggest you lodge a complaint with the council. I'd be happy to support anyone with this - just drop me an email.

Spartacus - thanks for flagging this up again. I have reported it with the council. I agree that this is not a good process.

While we are on the subject of roads and traffic, the council has set out its Movement Plan response to covid19, and launched a website where you can make suggestions for changes to the highways or pavements in specific places around the borough. Do have a look here: [www.southwark.gov.uk]

More specifically, there are some proposals for Melbourne Grove, Derwent Grove and Elsie Road. If you live on one of those streets please let us know what you think: [docs.google.com]

Best wishes
James

--------------------

Surgeries: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm, East Dulwich Community Centre on Darrell Road

Posted by Rockets May 16, 10:42PM

James, it is quite clear the numbers for DV the council have been peddling are untrue. As the local councillor I would expect you to come back with a definitive answer...you presented those figures as fact yet when challenged seem to be taking what is being said in blind faith. It doesnít take Sherlock Holmes to do a little research and determine the councilís claim of 40% is utter tosh. Why donít you back your constituents who have asked you a question and find out whether the stat is correct or not?

We have uncovered a significant falsehood used by your council to lobby people to vote for your plans - you would be up in arms if another party did that. Youíre lying to us.

Then you brazenly send a survey about Melbourne Grove using Corona-virus to help your personal/political crusade to close Melbourne Grove to traffic. This is shameful. Just months ago you were lobbying for the CPZ on the basis that people used Melbourne a Grove to park their cars to use the station...yet now we hear no-one will be using the station so now what is your concern (ahem, sorry the concern of those residents who contacted you in such numbers that you felt compelled to start a new survey). Then you lobby people for more traffic measures on the basis of displaced traffic from the DV ďimprovementsĒ and now this...

....do you think we are stupid? Youíre out of control and are taking all the residents of East Dulwich for a ride.

What are you actually doing for your constituents....I read with interest the 5 things you are most proud of during your 2 years in office thus far [www.jamesmcash.com] And I note there isnít a lot about things you have done for your constituents, plenty of things you are proud of to further your political aspirations and curry favour within your party but little of tangible benefit to the majority of your Goose Green constituents.

Are you in it for the people or the party?

Posted by jamesmcash May 21, 05:28PM

Hi Rockets,

We seem to be discussing these traffic measures on three separate threads, so I will not respond on here.

But I am intrigued to know what you think my motivations are for considering this scheme, if it is not because I genuinely believe it would help the local community. I have no financial stake in the project and if it is as unpopular as you suggest then surely it will not help me to get re-elected. If my intentions are so cynical, what is driving them?

Best wishes
James

--------------------

Posted by Sporthuntor May 21, 07:46PM

You are right in that it will not help you get re-elected James: the plans are nuts and we are all quite fed up of Southwark councilís persistent false manipulation of data and total disregard for local opinion (as per the disgraceful CPZ process). Link this to your slavish following of the Tooley Street party line and Iíd say youíve got a pretty slim chance of getting back in. But we shall see...thereís still time to stand up for the majority of your constituents...

Posted by Rockets May 21, 08:44PM

James,you started the 3 threads.....winking smiley

You are clearly putting your ideological and political aspirations ahead of the majority of your constituents - you did it with the CPZ, you did it with your canvassing of Melbourne Grove when the Dulwich Village changes were proposed and you are doing it now with the Covid closure of said roads. We are all but a stepping stone in your political career - you seem more interested in keeping the Labour paymasters happy than the people you represent.....expand your echo chamber and you will hear that people want you to do more to represent your community against things like the DV road changes as they will have huge impact on us in East Dulwich - but no, you tow the party line and lobby for them even though the majority of your constituents don't want them.

And for the benefit of those who haven't read the blog here are the things you are most proud of in your two years representing Goose Green ward - all very admirable but not a lot there to inspire confidence that you are doing much for the people who voted for you. And with that, m'lud, the prosecution rests their case.....winking smiley

1) Amplifying the grassroots

Change comes from below, not from committee rooms. I see my role as giving progressive campaigns a voice in the Council. After voting against Delanceyís plans for the Elephant and Castle - with its lack of social homes and support for local traders - I have worked with campaigners trying to get a better deal. When Sisters Uncut pointed out that a Home Office immigration officer was working from Southwark Council, I worked with them, the Law Centre and local party members to kick them out.

2) Members shaping the council

When it comes to local government, party members often feel shut out. In my first year, I was Secretary of the Labour Group of councillors. In that role, I tried to bridge the divide by liaising with branch secretaries and putting membersí motions on the Groupís agenda. More recently I campaigned with party members and fellow councillors for an all-members hustings and member-participation in the vote for the new Leader of Southwark Council. We were successful with the former but not the latter. (This has since been postponed indefinitely due to the pandemic.)

3) Supporting trade union struggles

Weíre called the Labour Party for a reason - the workersí movement is central to everything we do. As a councillor, I have always tried to support trade union campaigns and disputes, from joining picket lines like at the PictureHouse to challenging the Royal Mail on the closure of our sorting office. On a number of occasions, I have aligned council policy with campaigns by Unite, Unison, GMB, TSSA, RMT, and NEU.

4) Engaging with the community

I pledged to meet every state school in the ward during my first six months. Since then, weíve worked together on a number of projects, from road safety to social inclusion. During the coronavirus pandemic, Cllr Maggie Browning and I have hosted a fortnightly coordinating meeting between East Dulwichís mutual aid groups. These groups show Goose Green at its best: caring, generous and committed to supporting the local community.

Finally, I cannot mention community engagement without bringing up the East Dulwich CPZ. This divided opinion in the community and there was no solution which would have satisfied everyone. Nonetheless, Iím proud of the work we did to bridge the divide and carve out a proposal that most people could live with.

5) Getting the work done

Itís the four points above that really motivate me. But much of the work of a councillor is unseen. Itís not enough to do the campaigns if the day-to-day work is neglected. Iíve not missed a council meeting in the last year, my record on casework is one of the highest in the borough, and Iíve submitted the most Council Assembly motions of any councillor.

Posted by Sporthuntor May 22, 09:47PM

Thank you Rockets. It is entirely telling that engaging with the community is Jamesí last area of pride and says little about general representation of the wider community: no wonder many of us feel there is no one who stands for us. CPZ was a massive betrayal of our community: lies, gerrymandering and finally bulldozing through just as Covid-19 hit our local businesses.

The first 3 points are Labour/union Party issues: whatever help you climb the greasy pole James...

Posted by Zig-Zag May 22, 10:09PM

Thanks for all your research Rockets and others. I've lived in Southwark for 40 years and nothing has changed in terms of my incredibly low opinion of the council. This is really pretty disgraceful. If they have manipulated those traffic figures as it would seem, they're really ought to be a high level investigation. We're not a Banana Republic...

I just don't understand how they can get away with it and hope people will use their vote more wisely next time.

Posted by Soylent Green May 24, 12:10PM

What a shame that a 'How can we help?' thread becomes a councillor bashing thread - not very helpful.

On a different note, is it possible to increase the frequency of bin emptying on Goose Green? The park has become a Lordship Lane food court, packed with people eating pizzas and burgers. Whilst most are tidying up their rubbish and placing it next to the over-flowing bins, yesterday's wind was blowing food packaging around. There is also the issue of where do you put your dog poo when the bin is over-flowing with food packaging?

Posted by KidKruger May 24, 12:34PM

Councillors know full well there is very rarely accountability to the public for their misdemeanours, manipulations and mistruths.
Just look at Central Govt. zero accountability, so it follows this will cascade down to the regions.
No example is being set Centrally and locally there is little appetite to follow good examples even if they existed.

Zig-Zag Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for all your research Rockets and others.
> I've lived in Southwark for 40 years and nothing
> has changed in terms of my incredibly low opinion
> of the council. This is really pretty disgraceful.
> If they have manipulated those traffic figures as
> it would seem, they're really ought to be a high
> level investigation. We're not a Banana
> Republic...
>
> I just don't understand how they can get away with
> it and hope people will use their vote more wisely
> next time.

Posted by KidKruger May 24, 12:38PM

Goose Green is a shameful mess, at night time if you've picked-up after your dog your are actually struggling to find a way to deposit it in one of the bins. Likewise other trash (for those who even consider carrying their own mess to a bin) is being left around the bin (OK) and piled on top, meanwhile the lazy folks are just leaving bottles and cans where they sat.

Soylent Green Wrote:
> ... is it possible to increase
> the frequency of bin emptying on Goose Green? The
> park has become a Lordship Lane food court, packed
> with people eating pizzas and burgers. Whilst most
> are tidying up their rubbish and placing it next
> to the over-flowing bins, yesterday's wind was
> blowing food packaging around. There is also the
> issue of where do you put your dog poo when the
> bin is over-flowing with food packaging?

Posted by rachp May 24, 01:57PM

I would agree that improving the bin situation in the area generally- the bins next to Pecjham Rye have also had rubbish piled up all around them due to them being full. When I went to Brockwell park yesterday, all the bins were empty and there were huge mobile bins all iver the place (big trunk shaped things). As a result, there was no rubbish in sight, thanks!!!

Posted by KidKruger May 24, 02:42PM

Lambeth 1
Southwark 0

Posted by Abe_froeman May 24, 02:45PM

More bins would necessitate more staff to empty them and we have been told before there is no budget for more street cleaning staff.

The coffers overflow for projects to close roads and ban parking though.

Posted by kristymac1 May 24, 07:58PM

Piling up rubbish next to a bin is not 'tidying up their rubbish', take it home ffs! If you take sh$t to a park the least you can do is take what remains back home with you, it's not difficult.... same as dog poo bags, if the bin is full take it home, you have a bin there dont you??

Soylent Green Wrote:
>.Whilst most are tidying up their rubbish and placing it next
> to the over-flowing bins, yesterday's wind was
> blowing food packaging around. There is also the
> issue of where do you put your dog poo when the
> bin is over-flowing with food packaging?

Posted by KidKruger May 24, 09:17PM

Exactly krisymac1 take it home, or to a bin on the high street.
Fold-up the pizza box so it'll fit in the bin.
It's so easy, yet isn't being done.
And this is presumably local people !

Posted by rachp May 25, 09:09AM

I totally agree, the lack of personal responsibility here is shocking. However, it does seem to be a reality around here. You can say something if you see it happening in person but these opportunities are rare. I do think the council could do more, whether that's more bin facilities or some kind of campaign. If you had signs by the bin saying please don't leave your rubbish next to the bin as it will blow away and presents a threat to wildlife etc, at least some people would be nudged to think about their actions.And others might be more emboldened to say something when they don't. Where local councils do undertake these kind of pro-active campaigns, I understand they have good results.

Posted by Nigello May 25, 02:22PM

The best one can do is do oneís best. In this case, taking rubbish back home or at least to a less full bin. People are selfish, even ďniceĒ SE22 folk. I agree itís bad behaviour but donít do nothing: pick it up yourself, tackle offenders verbally, speak to your councillor. Hoping selfish actions will go away is a waste of time.

Posted by Adidas_guy May 26, 10:14AM

I would like to ask why Overhill road is being re-paved with concrete slabs?

The existing tarmac surface seems in good condition and being a steep hill it provided grip in winter conditions.

I notice that elsewhere, where slabs have replaced a tarmac surface, weeds are growing between the slabs and some Slabs have moved, making for an uneven and possibly dangerous surface (trio hazards)

Posted by jamesmcash June 05, 06:55PM

Hi all,

Sorry for the delay in responding. As some of you may know, I am a primary school teacher as well as being a councillor (being a councillor is not, for most, a fulltime role) and the ongoing preparations for school reopening has taken up a huge amount of time, in addition to my usual responsibilities both in the council and in school.

Let me try to respond to all these points.

Solyent Green
I've asked for the bins to be collected more frequently, and for bigger bins to be put in place. Hopefully this will result in some improvements. Thanks a lot for flagging.

Overhill Road slabs
I will try to get more information about this. Thanks for flagging!

Blogpost
Rockets has pasted a blog post which I sent to Labour Party members. Consequently, it makes lots of reference to things which will not interest non-party members. Of the five points I make, two have a more party political and Southwark-wide focus, two are explicitly Goose Green focused, and one is a bit of both. I am not remotely embarassed by this - the role of the councillor is to do community work in your ward, and to do political work across the borough and beyond. I could of course do more in both areas but I think I have struck a fairly good balance.

Thanks for highlighting my record on casework though ;)

I hope this answers everyone's questions. Have a great weekend!

Best wishes
James

--------------------

Posted by Rockets June 05, 07:58PM

To be fair James the blog post is hosted on your personal public blog that you advertise within your own signature on this forum. So to allude to it being sent just to Labour party members is a bit disingenuous - anyone can click on the link at the bottom of your last post.

Posted by Abe_froeman June 05, 08:46PM

Isn't that also the website thst you have to sign up to to recieve the Goose Green councillors newsletter?

Posted by Sporthuntor June 06, 12:24AM

Itís just so depressing. When are the next elections so we can boot this shower out? Need strong independent councillors to represent us properly rather than their political party and personal aspirations. James Barber come back all is forgiven!!!

Posted by rupert james June 06, 09:51AM

And have him trying to score points against all others excect the lib dems. No thanks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was june 06, 09:51am by rupert james.

Posted by first mate June 06, 11:52AM

We need someone truly independent that cares about constituency issues and representing the majority more than internal party politics.

Posted by jamesmcash June 06, 03:59PM

Hi all

I will try to respond to all these points as well as I can.

Blogpost and newsletter - Rockets and Abe
Yes the blog post is hosted on my website. It includes a range of different articles and posts, with different audiences in mind. None of it is secret, hence me putting it on a public website, but if a non-party member reads a blog intended for Labour Party members then yes - you might find it focuses more on the Labour Party than you'd like!

Abe is absolutely right that the same website also hosts the Goose Green Councillor Newsletter. This is, quite explicitly, intended for Gosoe Green residents (not just party members). I did not send the blog post above out on this newsletter.

Next elections
Next elections are due May 2022.

Hope you're all having a good weekend - shame about the weather eh!

Best wishes,
James

--------------------

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1415161718192021222324Next
Current Page: 21 of 24

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum