We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.aardvarksweeps.co.uk

http://avakitchens.co.uk

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your East Dulwich doctor, dentist or butcher?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627
Current Page: 27 of 27
messageRe: Goose Green councillors - how can we help?
Posted by first mate October 07, 03:30PM

In our case the startling similarity between Southwark’ HLS scheme and current LTN measures, the former already being pushed well before Covid struck, begs a few questions.

Posted by Rockets October 10, 09:38AM

Cllr McAsh. The council is organising public meetings online such as this [www.southwark.gov.uk] so why can it not organise an emergency meeting to discuss these closures?

Posted by Spartacus October 10, 10:08AM

James
How can the council continue with the roll-out of LTNs when the emergency services have concerns with their implementation ?

[www.southwarknews.co.uk]

Posted by Dogkennelhillbilly October 11, 01:51PM

That comment was made in respect on one specific scheme, not all permeable barriers generally. I appreciate that the article is not clearly written in that respect.

You guys need to understand the hard facts about consultation in this context. The central government gave an extremely short window to councils to access money for experimental and COVID-related measures. They were not allowing councils to go through their normal processes. Doing the consultation would have meant the experiment wouldn't have happened because there would have been no money. The experiment is ongoing. The time to take decisions is once the experiment is finished and there is actual data.

Posted by Rockets October 11, 02:46PM

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That comment was made in respect on one specific
> scheme, not all permeable barriers generally. I
> appreciate that the article is not clearly written
> in that respect.
>
> You guys need to understand the hard facts about
> consultation in this context. The central
> government gave an extremely short window to
> councils to access money for experimental and
> COVID-related measures. They were not allowing
> councils to go through their normal processes.
> Doing the consultation would have meant the
> experiment wouldn't have happened because there
> would have been no money. The experiment is
> ongoing. The time to take decisions is once the
> experiment is finished and there is actual data.

DKHB - Sorry you're wrong. Have a read of the documents.

Emergency services (Fire, Police and Ambulance) have indicated they will not support schemes which promote hard road closures, as they will increase response times. Their preference is for camera enforced closures without physical prevention for vehicles. They also requested that emergency vehicles are exempt from the bus gate.

Posted by siousxiesue October 11, 06:22PM

jamesmcash Wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm James McAsh. I'm one of the three newly
> elected Labour councillors for Goose Green ward,
> along with Victoria Olisa and Charlie Smith.
>
> I wanted to introduce myself to the East Dulwich
> Forum community, and to thank everyone who voted
> in yesterday's local elections. I know I speak for
> Victoria and Charlie as well when I say that it is
> a true honour and privilege to have your trust
> placed in us.
>
> Regardless of whom you support politically, or
> whether you vote at all, we three Labour
> Councillors for Goose Green are keen to do
> whatever we can to help.
>
> If you want to raise something with us then you
> can do any of the following:
> - Email: James.McAsh@southwark.gov.uk,
> Victoria.Olisa@southwark.gov.uk,
> Charlie.Smith@southwark.gov.uk
> - In person at a surgery on the 2nd and 4th
> Thursdays of the month at 7pm at East Dulwich
> Community Centre, Darrell Road
> - On this thread!
>
> In general, we are able to deal with things
> quicker if you are able to provide:
> - Your address (or the address/location of where
> the issue relates)
> - A brief outline of the problem
> - Any communication you have already had with the
> council regarding the issue
> - For longstanding issues, a brief timeline of
> event
> - Photos, where relevant
>
> Best wishes
> James

Hello Councillor, could you please give details of the councillor for libraries? I'd like to query the non service being offered right now, as I suspect would many people on here. Many thanks

Posted by Abe_froeman October 12, 12:06PM

James I have a query on the road closures. When the second lockdown comes and people stop using their cars to travel to work etc, will the council discount traffic monitoring during that period to avoid ending up with farcical results for the success of failure of the current closures?

I am only concerned because of the severe confusion about whether or not the council exploited the low traffic figures during road works on dulwich village to justify the mess we are in now.

Posted by jamesmcash October 14, 04:38PM

Hi all,

Thanks again for all your comments. It's useful to hear the wide range of perspectives.

I am getting quite a few questions at the moment abot the low traffic neighbourhood (LTN) measures so I have put together a fairly lengthy set of FAQs here: [www.jamesmcash.com]

They cover the intentions behind the scheme, the process by which they have been implemented and what I think should be the next steps. It is also an attempt to honestly acknowledge the mistakes and shortcomings on the part of the council, and indeed on the part of us Goose Green councillors.

It's worth reading in full to get the whole picture but I want to draw your attention to the final two sections:

-----------
WHAT DOES SUCCESS LOOK LIKE?
In my view, we need to look at the effects across the whole area but also on individual streets.

The two key criteria are air pollution and traffic volume. Put simply, if these two measures are not reduced across the whole area then the scheme has failed. It is not enough to displace the traffic - we want to reduce it overall.

But even if air pollution and traffic volume decrease across the board, it matters how it is distributed. I want to see a social justice approach to the analysis. No matter what we do there will inevitably be some pollution and traffic. I want this to be shared equitably: protecting schools, nurseries and hospitals above all else; and not allowing the negative effects of air pollution to fall on those least able to bear them.

We have a new Leader of the Council, Cllr Kieron Williams, and this approach is already reflected in his leadership team. Instead of creating a post for ‘Low Traffic Neighbourhoods’, he appointed Cllr Radha Burgess as Deputy Cabinet Member for ‘Low Traffic Southwark’. The shift in emphasis is important: we want to reduce traffic across all of Southwark, not segregate ‘low traffic’ and ‘high traffic’ neighbourhoods. (To be clear, this is not the intention of LTN measures, but if they do not work properly this can be the outcome).

WHAT NEXT?
I have spoken to Cllr Rose and Cllr Burgess (the Cabinet and Deputy Cabinet members with responsibility for this area) to request that these measures be evaluated as soon as we can. I have further requested that the evaluation considers the following factors:

- Overall levels of pollution
- Overall levels of traffic
- The ‘social justice’ implications of how pollution and traffic are distributed (i.e. who lives on the more polluted streets?).

We will learn more from this evaluation process but here are my initial thoughts:

- Local businesses on Melbourne Grove, Grove Vale, Lordship Lane and elsewhere need support from the council: there should be a joined-up approach between councillors, the highways team and the local economy team.
- Matham Grove and Zenoria/Oxonian Street are clearly experiencing problems which can and should be remedied, probably fairly cheaply.
- The junction between East Dulwich Grove and Lordship Lane has long been a problem, and this has only got worse.
- Nurseries, schools and hospitals should be considered ‘vulnerable hubs’ which we prioritise for protection from pollution.

---------------

There are a few LTN-related questions on here which are not answered in the link above. I will come back to the forum to answer those as soon as I can.

The only non-LTN question was from siousxiesue about the libraries. I understand that the larger libraries are will have fuller opening relatively soon, and that this will include Dulwich Library but not Grove Vale. This is due to the social distancing requirements. The cabinet member responsible is Stephanie Cryan, her email address is stephanie.cryan@southwark.gov.uk

Best wishes
James

--------------------
James McAsh - Labour Councillor for Goose Green ward
James.McAsh@Southwark.gov.uk
[www.jamesmcash.com] [twitter.com]

Surgeries: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm, East Dulwich Community Centre on Darrell Road

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was october 14, 06:04pm by jamesmcash.

Posted by legalalien October 14, 05:53PM

That sounds really positive.

Has anyone thought about a rule that sets a maximum level of congestion / pollution for any given street?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was october 14, 05:53pm by legalalien.

Posted by Rockets October 14, 06:57PM

James - Well done, you have listened and reacted and we all appreciate that. Your post is clear and I am glad to see that the council is taking an area-wide view of the challenge now.

We all want to see the pollution issue tackled and I am hopeful that the council can bring all those from all sides of the argument into the discussion to come up with equitable solutions to tackle the problem.

Posted by legalalien October 14, 07:00PM

Exactly this.

Rockets Wrote:
> James - Well done, you have listened and reacted
> and we all appreciate that. Your post is clear and
> I am glad to see that the council is taking an
> area-wide view of the challenge now.
>
> We all want to see the pollution issue tackled and
> I am hopeful that the council can bring all those
> from all sides of the argument into the discussion
> to come up with equitable solutions to tackle the
> problem.

Posted by Dulwichgirl82 October 14, 07:20PM

Also agree

Rockets Wrote:
> James - Well done, you have listened and reacted
> and we all appreciate that. Your post is clear and
> I am glad to see that the council is taking an
> area-wide view of the challenge now.
>
> We all want to see the pollution issue tackled and
> I am hopeful that the council can bring all those
> from all sides of the argument into the discussion
> to come up with equitable solutions to tackle the
> problem.

Posted by AlexandHelenC October 14, 07:43PM

Thanks, James. That’s an impressively detailed and thoughtful post. I’m very skeptical about the scheme but am open to a persuasive case if one can be made.

I’d also urge you to help the businesses that have been impacted as much as you can. I can’t imagine many officials working in Southwark’s highways department have ever put blood, sweat and tears into building a business and may not understand how even the smallest drop in takings can be the difference between them surviving or not. You can give those businesses a voice in Tooley Street.

Posted by Serena2012 October 14, 08:55PM

James - I am encouraged by your response, with one caveat, which is that as a resident of East Dulwich Grove, I am incredibly concerned about any proposals to chase the displacement further by closing additional side streets, if that is indeed the plan in the context of Matham Grove and Zenoria/ Oxonian. Our home currently experiences 6-8 hours of queuing traffic outside it Monday - Saturday in circumstances where we experienced none before the initial closures in Dulwich Village and on Melbourne Grove in late June. This became exponentially worse once Melbourne North, Elsie, Tintagel and Derwent were closed in early September, particularly late in the evenings and on weekends. It feels particularly galling that while the residents of these streets (including Elsie Road, which is one of the most expensive streets in the entirety of SE22, and almost certainly the most affluent in the ward), get the benefit of no through traffic and a tranquil home environment, my young family and I have to cope with the extra traffic generated by those very same residents, their tradesmen; their nannies; their gardeners; their deliveries in circumstances where this did not happen previously.

The situation is becoming intolerable. We no longer sit in our front room as the noise pollution is so great. I genuinely don’t understand how you can sanction further road closures in these circumstances. I am wholly supportive of school streets, but what is happening here is hugely disproportionate, and is simply shifting the burden of pollution. The whole scheme needs a rethink, rather than tweaking around the edges.

Edited to add: I am encouraged by your plan to protect nurseries, schools and hospitals. It goes without saying however that if reducing air pollution in schools is the goal, closing roads such as Melbourne North and Tintagel Crescent while displacing all the traffic onto Grove Vale and EDG and therefore creating queues of idling traffic sitting outside schools in circumstances where this did not happen previously (which is the current status quo) is highly unlikely to achieve that aim. I note in particular that the entry point for years 10 and 11 at Charter ED is from EDG, which means that (thanks largely no doubt to the closures in Dulwich Village), hundreds of schoolchildren are now walking to their school gates on a much more polluted and congested
road than hitherto. This is different to safe travel to school/ discouraging parents from driving which can be achieved by less drastic school streets, operative Monday-Friday, a maximum of 39 weeks a year during peak drop off and pick up hours.

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit was october 14, 09:35pm by Serena2012.

Posted by Abe_froeman October 14, 08:59PM

Thank you James.

Hard agree with rockets and Alex's posts above.

Posted by Serena2012 October 14, 09:49PM

James - Just to add in the context of your social justice analysis, the attached list of the most expensive streets in each borough makes it clear that three of the five most expensive streets in Southwark (Court Lane Gardens; Burbage Road and Dulwich Village) will ultimately stand to benefit once Phase 3 is implemented in Dulwich Village. Of these, only one (Dulwich Village) houses a school, hospital or nursery, yet many of the roads bearing the brunt of these schemes (including EDG, Half Moon Lane, Grove Vale and Lordship Lane) house schools (and in the case of EDG, a nursery and health centre to boot). [www.google.co.uk]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit was october 14, 09:53pm by Serena2012.

Posted by seenbeen October 14, 11:34PM

Serena2012 Wrote:
> James - Just to add in the context of your social
> justice analysis, the attached list of the most
> expensive streets in each borough makes it clear
> that three of the five most expensive streets in
> Southwark (Court Lane Gardens; Burbage Road and
> Dulwich Village) will ultimately stand to benefit
> once Phase 3 is implemented in Dulwich Village. Of
> these, only one (Dulwich Village) houses a school,
> hospital or nursery, yet many of the roads bearing
> the brunt of these schemes (including EDG, Half
> Moon Lane, Grove Vale and Lordship Lane) house
> schools (and in the case of EDG, a nursery and
> health centre to boot).
> [www.google.co.uk]
> ews/property/london-house-prices-full-list-1906723
> 6.amp
Yes- the whole thing is a joke- and Winter is coming!
There is a noticeable increase in traffic in Crystal Palace Road now as well-which is supposed to be a cycling quiet way or some such scheme

Posted by Rockets October 15, 12:33PM

James,
Some follow-up questions from your post. Whilst it was good on words, there seems to be less on actions and it all seems a little open ended with little in the way of solid commitment to do anything other than review the data.

So:

- When will the council be reviewing the data - data collection went in some time after the closures so what is the timeline for the review?
- We kept being told by the council that pollution monitoring was too expense so how are you able to do that now and what baseline will you be using?
- Are we expected to live with the negative impact for the next 6 months whilst the council collects the data?
- Will the next phases of the closures be put on hold or does the council still plan on implementing them?
- Your comment regarding Matham Grove etc worries me as you seem to be focussed on putting measures in place to deal with the displacement rather than focussing on the source of the displacement. This would suggest to me that you think action to remedy the problem may not be forthcoming or a long way off. Is the council commitment to resolving the source of the problem? We do not need a sticking plaster approach to this.
- Given your admission of not consulting with shopkeepers on Melbourne Grove (and your subsequent apology) will you be forced to remove those immediately as this is in direct contravention of the powers given to you by the government to put these in place?

Posted by Siduhe October 15, 01:58PM

Quote:
jamesmcash
WHAT NEXT?
I have spoken to Cllr Rose and Cllr Burgess (the Cabinet and Deputy Cabinet members with responsibility for this area) to request that these measures be evaluated as soon as we can. I have further requested that the evaluation considers the following factors:

- Overall levels of pollution
- Overall levels of traffic
- The ‘social justice’ implications of how pollution and traffic are distributed (i.e. who lives on the more polluted streets?).

We will learn more from this evaluation process but here are my initial thoughts:

- Local businesses on Melbourne Grove, Grove Vale, Lordship Lane and elsewhere need support from the council: there should be a joined-up approach between councillors, the highways team and the local economy team.
- Matham Grove and Zenoria/Oxonian Street are clearly experiencing problems which can and should be remedied, probably fairly cheaply.
- The junction between East Dulwich Grove and Lordship Lane has long been a problem, and this has only got worse.
- Nurseries, schools and hospitals should be considered ‘vulnerable hubs’ which we prioritise for protection from pollution.

James, appreciate the post - I would also be grateful for a bit more detail as to how this broader focus will be implemented in practice, as it still seems to be very geographically limited to the streets directly next to the existing closures.

I've posted elsewhere about this but streets like Crystal Palace Road, Underhill, Overhill, Melford and Wood Vale are now experiencing significant traffic at peak times as people try to avoid the Court Lane closure. I rarely drive and I commute by cycle but my route home (down what used to be comparatively quiet side streets) now feels significantly less safe than it did (and is significantly more polluted). Like EDG, these are bus routes so can't be made into LTNs. I'm hoping that it will settle over time but what it feels like, is that the Council has made my life and the life of some of my neighbours worse to benefit the residents of leafy Court Lane - who already have massive gardens but can now extol the virtues of playing out in the street while the rest of us breathe in displaced traffic fumes.

I appreciate it's a lot more complicated than that but it has the same sort of adverse social impacts that you mention, and there's no plan at all from the Council (I understand from our councillors) to even monitor in our area. The irony that it's most adversely affecting the people who have already made the changes you are trying to encourage across our area isn't lost on me either.

Posted by Serena2012 October 16, 12:41AM

James - I have a question for you. In the modelling/ impact planning that Southwark undertook before deciding to close some of the significant East - West routes through the area, to what extent was there consideration of what would happen if, (as has happened three times in the past 6 weeks already), one of the area’s A roads is shut? This has now happened to Denmark Hill, Lordship Lane and Dulwich Common and the knock on impact on surrounding roads, including EDG has been utterly horrific. When I picked up my daughter from nursery this evening (on foot), Calton Avenue was gridlocked all the way to the junction with Woodwarde and beyond; Dulwich Village was at a standstill; Burbage and Turney were ridiculously busy; Townley was gridlocked and EDG had queues going Southbound stretching from the junction with Townley beyond Charter ED. This will only get worse as more and more local roads are closed. On a day like today, having Melbourne South and Court Lane open would have relieved a significant amount of pressure on other roads, many of which are also “residential”.

If this has not been looked at, I urge the council to start modelling, as in practice, it is unusual for a month to go by and for every A road in the area to stay open 24/7 during that period. Indeed, in the 8 years I’ve lived here, there have been significant roadworks on all of the area’s A roads, on average at least once a year, reducing the traffic (as a minimum) to single lane. The heavier the usage of these roads, the more frequent the upkeep will need to become. What contingency is there in place for these occurrences?

The air pollution outside the schools on EDG this evening was horrific and in all likelihood will be tomorrow as well, as from what I gather, Dulwich Common could be shut for a while. Of the hundreds of vehicles I walked past in queuing traffic this evening, none of which were moving, I could count on one hand the number that had their engines turned off. In circumstances where idling traffic generates double the pollution caused by free flowing traffic, this is completely unacceptable. Causing gridlock is not the answer, but it seems that to date, the Streetspace initiative is excelling at doing just that.

Edited 12 time(s). Last edit was october 16, 12:58am by Serena2012.

Posted by heartblock October 16, 08:22AM

Serena, absolutely agree. Maybe it is time for EDG residents to form a campaign group to lobby the Council? I would love to see a cycle lane, better pavements and more thought about pedestrians, residents, cyclists, patients, school children and staff working at the health centre, schools and nurseries in EDG. The actual road is a mess with cracks, noisy drain covers, useless pollution causing speed humps.

Now residents are paying to park in their own street as unlike the gated communities very few have the choice of parking on their own property. People on EDG are the forgotten residents in East Dulwich, including the 4-5 large ‘posh’ houses near the Village junction, where the traffic must be awful for longer every day, to the LL end where there is a dangerous junction and the mid section with high density flats, narrow badly maintained pavements covered in wheelie bins.

The council needs to think about changes that encourage walking and cycling and polluting roads used by cyclists and pedestrians is not the way. The council has caused more pollution by more traffic being at a standstill. EDG is now dangerous for cyclists and horrible for pedestrians.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627
Current Page: 27 of 27

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum