Forum Sponsors

www.advancedpainters.co.uk
xxxx
http://www.ellyallen.com/

All Round Renovation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617
Current Page: 17 of 17
messageRe: Goose Green councillors - how can we help?
Posted by Abe_froeman July 10, 10:44PM

James do you know when old unwanted brown bins will be removed please?

Posted by cella July 11, 09:05PM

Hi James
I've a massive exchange of emails with various Southwark staff about susscribing and then not getting a food waste bin to no avail. Each time someone different picks up the message, gives it a different job number and then nothing happens. Recently they've actually managed to remove both my blue recycling boxes despite me stating each time I did not want this to happen. We now only have one blue bin for both our flats. I've included Richard Livingston in several of my messages and he doesn't respond. Ive written to Caroline Bruce at the beginning of the week, copied to Peter John - nothing, not even an acknowledgement. Apart from the basic request which was checking on why the food waste bin hadn't been provided despite paying up, I think it's absolutely cynical and unprofessional for these people not to account to residents. Is there any way this can be resolved - the bin I mean, as I guess the accountability is a lost cause?

Posted by TheArtfulDogger July 12, 03:39PM

Hi James

With the waste strategy document from Defra "our waste, our resources: A strategy for England" [assets.publishing.service.gov.uk] published in 2018, page 72 talks about making garden waste recycling free for all households.

This clearly shows that Southwark Council are not taking this vital strategy into consideration.

Can you seek a response from the council assembly on what their rational is to now start charging for garden waste in light of the defra strategy and what the overall cost will be to local tax payers should they need to reverse their decision to charge including the wasted implementation costs?

Thank you

Posted by jamesmcash July 14, 05:28PM

Dear all

Abe_froeman
I am not sure. But if it is inconveniencing you then I would be happy to look into getting yours removed asap. Email me with your address etc.

Cella
I’m really sorry to hear you’ve had a negative experience with this. Can you forward the email you sent to me and I will then chase it up and make sure you get an adequate response.

TheArtfulDogger
When you say that the document ‘talks about’ making garden waste collections free do you mean this line?
“We will consult on the provision of free garden waste collections for households with gardens and seek views on the impacts and costs for local authorities so these can be taken into account in assessment of new burdens.”
It seems to suggest that following consultation with local authorities they might consider providing additional funding to cover the cost of providing the service for free. Were this to happen I am sure that the council would change its policy. The introduction of the charge is a result of the terrible cuts to local authorities from central government.

Best wishes
James

--------------------
James McAsh - Labour Councillor for Goose Green ward
James.McAsh@Southwark.gov.uk
[www.jamesmcash.com] [twitter.com]

Surgeries: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm, East Dulwich Community Centre on Darrell Road

Posted by TheArtfulDogger July 16, 03:11PM

jamesmcash Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> TheArtfulDogger
> When you say that the document ‘talks about’
> making garden waste collections free do you mean
> this line?
> “We will consult on the provision of free garden
> waste collections for households with gardens and
> seek views on the impacts and costs for local
> authorities so these can be taken into account in
> assessment of new burdens.”
> It seems to suggest that following consultation
> with local authorities they might consider
> providing additional funding to cover the cost of
> providing the service for free. Were this to
> happen I am sure that the council would change its
> policy. The introduction of the charge is a result
> of the terrible cuts to local authorities from
> central government.
>
> Best wishes
> James

Hi James
Cynical me feels that the new charge was introduced after the consultation closed, but before results were announced, and that the charge has been introduced just in time to claim additional funding from defra should they push through with the free garden waste collections, whereas if Southwark wasn't charging (as before June) there would be no additional funding.

Just a thought

As for the claim that it's a result of terrible cuts to local funding, I'm fed up of that cry especially as I have dealings with councils all over and see how terribly inefficient they are internally.

Posted by Mrs D July 16, 06:47PM

James, I received a letter a few days ago regarding work to the junction of Crystal Palace Road / Whately and Underhill Road. Does this mean that we will finally be getting a proper crossing at this junction?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617
Current Page: 17 of 17

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum