Forum Sponsors

All Round Renovation

www.no-flies.co.uk

www.nannycentral.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 18 of 19
messageRe: Goose Green councillors - how can we help?
Posted by October 03, 03:48PM

Thames Water introduced temporary traffic lights at the Dunstans and Goodrich Roads junction just over a month ago to repair a leak in the road. After two weeks the hole was filled in, the tarmac made good and the traffic lights removed. Another water leak about a metre from the repair sprang up through the road. The contractors could see this but chose to ignore it and moved on. Thames Water were aware of this new leak. I spoke to one of their supervisors who thought the first contactor had not tightened a collar in the ground. Nearly three weeks have now passed and thousands of litres of water have run away down a nearby drain. Thames Water have turned up today (Thursday) and opened up a hole in the road. I spoke to one of their operatives who thought the latest repair should take between two to three days to complete. We are constantly being told to conserve water but Thames Water allows so much water to be wasted because of their incompetent repairs service.

Yours Sincerely

Councillor Charlie Smith
Goose Green Ward Member

Posted by Abe_froeman October 03, 06:13PM

I'm interested in how that hirecar got moved, Lynne.

There is a huge fleet of taxis all over the area now that have been dumped, unmoved for months on end, blocking up the place.

Posted by Lynne October 04, 09:34AM

I don't know, Abe_froeman. It had been there for at least 6 months, I'd tried complaining to the company, Ubeequo and had no response. Then I moaned to James and and Southwark, (who said Ubeequo were licensed and so there was nothing that could be done,) and there it was , Gone! It may be a coincidence, but James might know.
Good luck to you, anyway. Then there's that fleet of camper vans near the junction of Upland/Barry Roads. They would p... me off if I was trying to park there.

Posted by jamesmcash October 07, 05:30PM

Hi ed_pete

The council is doing an assessment of the library for where racks can be installed. What this space!

Best wishes
James

--------------------
James McAsh - Labour Councillor for Goose Green ward
James.McAsh@Southwark.gov.uk
[www.jamesmcash.com] [twitter.com]

Surgeries: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm, East Dulwich Community Centre on Darrell Road

Posted by Abe_froeman October 08, 11:44AM

James

Do you know if anything can be done about a taxi that has sat unmoved for over six months? There is vegetation growing on the tarmac underneath the vehicle now.

many thanks

Posted by Abe_froeman October 14, 02:42PM

Hi James

Is there anything the council can do about all the crime that seems to be committed in our area, like install CCTV cameras and improve street lighting etc ?

If you look at this board there seem to be so many muggings and burglaries and vehicle thefts. It's deeply concerning and I wondered the council can be / are doing about it?

Many thanks

Posted by alice October 14, 02:46PM

And yet when police have public local meetings to discuss those very things. No one turns up.

Posted by Sue October 14, 10:54PM

Abe_froeman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> If you look at this board there seem to be so many
> muggings and burglaries and vehicle thefts. It's
> deeply concerning and I wondered the council can
> be / are doing about it?

It will always be the case that people will post stuff like that on here, so that it appears there are a lot in the area even if actually there aren't any more than in other areas.

Those who never experience any of it don't post!

I am not suggesting they don't happen, obviously, just that having a forum like this one means that you will be made aware of them, whereas if there was no forum you wouldn't be.

I think it's the statistics which matter, not a few posts on a forum.

And that doesn't mean I'm not very sympathetic to the people who are affected by crime locally.

Posted by rahrahrah October 19, 12:35PM

Any chance of Southwark working to bring Lime bikes to East Dulwich?

Posted by TheArtfulDogger October 19, 02:24PM

rahrahrah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any chance of Southwark working to bring Lime
> bikes to East Dulwich?

I would prefer the "Boris" bikes (or whatever they are called now) as they are contained in a docking station, where as the lime bikes can just be left anywhere making them a hazard for pedestrians, disabled and the elderly and also cluttering up the streets which Southwark are claiming to make better for residents.

Posted by Nigello October 19, 02:47PM

Please could Southwark clear the grids of leaves/soil, etc. When it rain heavily there are huge puddles in parts of the area - especially near Goose Green. If it is not a Southwark responsibility please could it be passed on to Thames Water or whichever party it is. Thanks

Posted by TE44 October 23, 10:58AM

Hi James can you tell me if the grounds of One tree hill and St Augustine Church are managed organically, thanks.

Posted by Abe_froeman October 31, 09:25PM

?

Posted by Lou November 13, 11:31AM

Hi James, I wonder if you can help:

Every Autumn I sweep up the leaves & berries that fall off the tree on the pavement outside my house, they fall pretty regularly, so around this time of year I need to do it every week - previously I used to put them into the brown paper bags, but since they are no longer free, I don't have any and my garden isn't big enough to warrant a brown bin. What should I do with these leaves?

Thanks

Posted by Nigello November 13, 12:10PM

Re the leaves, they leave Exclaimation a deep stain on the new pavements. Perhaps the stains will fade, or perhaps the paving stones were not pre-tested for porousness/suitability...?

Posted by goldilocks November 28, 12:06PM

Hi James

You may have seen the other thread re Amigos trees on Goose Green. This is a massive infringement on the green - taking over almost half of the open green space. Given the scarcity of open green spaces in the Goose Green area, how has it been decided that this is appropriate, especially the fact that its been let to a commercial operation and meaning that half the available space is pretty much out of bounds for the next month. Its also an eyesore when looking from ED Road towards goose green.

Would appreciate some feedback on how this was deemed appropriate and whether this is the start of commercially letting our public green space?

Thanks

Posted by bels123 November 28, 12:36PM

Completely agree Goldilocks and would be interested to hear from James on this. I would expect some kind of consultation with local residents before fencing off such a large part of our local green open space for a month.

Posted by Coggers November 30, 06:23PM

As a resident living next to the green I totally agree re Tree Amigos. Not only has this taken up a huge area of public space and is an absolute eyesore, but the generator used to power the lights can be heard clearly from inside our flat. Were any residents consulted on this? I cannot see any benefit for the green to be used for this purpose, especially when so many local businesses provide trees already.

Posted by kiera November 30, 09:17PM

From my experience, this is as I understand the situation:-
The council have adopted policies which commit them to making money from any suitable space, including parks and green spaces - anyone can apply to use anywhere. Council officers decide what's suitable for each space without any consultation with the public. If there was a Friends' group for Goose Green, they would probably inform you of their intentions, but you still probably wouldn't have much influence. There is no commitment to use the money they make to benefit the space they've rented out. Councillors will have been informed of any planned event, but you'll undoubtedly find that they are obliged to defend the policy.
I think it's totally wrong that council officers have the power to decide what's suitable, without consultation with residents. I think you are right to raise this with councillors.

Posted by December 01, 02:13PM

I am concerned about the Free Amigos tree sellers on Goose Green. I have contacted the Parks Department about the unsightly fencing, lack of toilet facilities, Also will any damage to the grass and ground be made good by Tree amigos when they finish. Also there is the potential problem of increased traffic and parking on East Dulwich Road especially now the number 12 and the 197 busses are being rerouted due to the works being carried out in Barry Road. I will also have a look at the generator problem.

Regards

Councillor Charlie Smith
Goose Green Ward Member

Posted by Abe_froeman December 02, 12:54PM

Hi charlie, good to see a councillor on this thread again after a couple of months in limbo.

Do you know how we can get the council to remove all the taxis that have been abandoned in the area? I am aware of over 20 of these vehicles that have not been moved for at least three months

Posted by goldilocks December 04, 09:24AM

Thanks Charlie. I think though that the bigger problem is the appropriation of public open space for commercial letting by Southwark council. Who made this decision? Does this mean that Goose Green is now 'fair game' to be sectioned off and rented out to private companies throughout the year without any notice or consultation? Its one thing to use the Green for fairs such as the Dulwich festival fair, but another to 'privatise it' in this way!

In addition - as a council who has declared a 'climate emergency' - allowing an enterprise to run a diesel generator next to people's homes for a month seems beyond irresponsible.

It would be good if in addition to the logistical issues you raise, you could also respond on these points.

Many thanks

Posted by rjsmall December 04, 10:36PM

Charlie's response also raises the question of how informed or involved are the local councillors made about decisions in their area.

Were our local representatives aware that Free Amigos tree sellers would be taking a chunk of Goose Green in advance along with the paraphernalia that would go along with the operation?

Posted by Pugwash December 04, 11:48PM

From experience ward councillors are not informed by council officers of important decisions made about the area. Officers, appear to deliberately ignore councillors and local residents when making decisions.

Posted by first mate December 05, 08:01AM

Perhaps Councillors can find out the how, when and who of the decision to let out a large section of Goose Green to a private company, seemingly circumventing its own climate change commitments in the process? In addition, how much money will Southwark get from the letting and where does that money get used?

It would be great if Councillors McAsh or Smith could post here on their findings.

Posted by Abe_froeman December 05, 12:46PM

You'd think they will be there for most of December so it must be a fairly sizeable profit the council will get from this.

I suspect we won't hear much from the councillors until after the general election now.

Posted by jamesmcash December 05, 06:06PM

Hi all

For some reason I have not been receiving emails telling me when someone posts on this thread. Sorry about that.

Regarding the Tree Amigos issue I have just sent out the message below to residents who contacted me.

Best wishes
James

----

Dear all

I am writing to you because you contacted me regarding the 'Tree Amigos' event on Goose Green Park. I only became aware of it when local residents contacted me. There was consultation about it back in July, where no issues were raised, but it is fair to say that it was not as well promoted as it should have been.

The Tree Amigos event is in many ways the kind that the council should support:
- the trees are sustainably grown
- they offer craft workshops for children
- it will accommodate Goose Green primary school’s Christmas Carol event on the 12th December
- it helps to raise revenue for the council's important services, after almost a decade of brutal cuts

However, I do not believe that it is well-suited for Goose Green Park. Above all, residents and traders have raised concerns that there are already local businesses who sell Christmas trees in the area and they risk losing business from this event appearing well after their business plans were set.

As a result, we have agreed with the council that Tree Amigos will not be invited back to Goose Green Park in future years.

In the meantime, I want to reassure everyone of the following:
- The council will reimburse the licensing fees for the local tree sellers who may lose out from this decision
- If there is any damage to the park's ground, Tree Amigos will be will be to cover the costs of any reinstatement that’s required.
- The noisy generator has been replaced with a quieter more efficient model.

I have cc’ed in council officers Aileen Cahill [] and Charlie Simm [] who have offered to answer any further questions you may have.

I hope that this allays some of your concerns. Many apologies for the problems caused by this issue.

Best wishes
James

--------------------
James McAsh - Labour Councillor for Goose Green ward
James.McAsh@Southwark.gov.uk
[www.jamesmcash.com] [twitter.com]

Surgeries: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm, East Dulwich Community Centre on Darrell Road

Posted by nxjen December 06, 09:33AM

Thanks for this James. While we’re talking about Christmas trees, can you advise about the arrangements for the disposal of Christmas trees? Previously, these were left out and collected free of charge. What are the arrangements now an annual fee has been introduced as many wishing to dispose of their Christmas trees may not have taken out a subscription.

Posted by kiera December 06, 11:26AM

So James, as you didn't know about this event on Goose Green, are you saying that the council carried out a consultation in July but didn't include local councillors? What a strange "consultation" - it seems it didn't include local residents or businesses either - a typical Events Team consultation.
Are you going to challenge the council/cabinet member to change the events policy to include consultation with local people?

Posted by tiddles December 06, 12:07PM

Thank you James
Sounds like a good result all round. I suspect that in the anticipation of gaining much needed revenue
It has not been realised how people would feel about the loss of public space and the impact on local businesses.
Kind regards

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...910111213141516171819Next
Current Page: 18 of 19

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum