We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.circlepsychologypartners.co.uk

http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

http://avakitchens.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 26 of 27
messageRe: Goose Green councillors - how can we help?
Posted by rahrahrah September 18, 03:02PM

first mate Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> rahrahrah Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > would also make it super easy to get to Herne
> Hill
> > for Thameslink services.
> >
> > If people could hop on a hire bike and leave it
> at
> > the station, it may also have a positive impact
> on
> > car congestion along EDG
>
> Sadly, seems bike theft is on the rise and making
> all day parking at station secure enough possibly
> not realistic, also only limited space outside.
> People can use folders though and take them into
> work.

this is why a hire bike scheme like Lime or Santander would be great (you don't have to worry about your bike being nicked). They have them in nearly every other part of the Capital, except Southwark, where they only operate in the north of the borough.

Posted by rahrahrah September 18, 03:04PM

e-bikes like Lime are particularly good, because they can be used regardless of fitness level. A segregated bike lane and local e-bike hire scheme would create a lot more opportunity for people to connect to trains and tubes easily, cheaply and quickly.

Posted by ed_pete September 18, 03:10PM

Thing is, if you could get enough people together you could just go and get a load of Lime or Jump bikes from Central London and distribute around ED and Peckham. They're dockless after all.

Posted by Dogkennelhillbilly September 19, 03:48PM

rahrahrah Wrote:
> first mate Wrote:
> -----
> > rahrahrah Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > would also make it super easy to get to Herne
> > Hill
> > > for Thameslink services.
> > >
> > > If people could hop on a hire bike and leave
> it
> > at
> > > the station, it may also have a positive
> impact
> > on
> > > car congestion along EDG
> >
> > Sadly, seems bike theft is on the rise and
> making
> > all day parking at station secure enough
> possibly
> > not realistic, also only limited space outside.
> > People can use folders though and take them
> into
> > work.
>
> this is why a hire bike scheme like Lime or
> Santander would be great (you don't have to worry
> about your bike being nicked). They have them in
> nearly every other part of the Capital, except
> Southwark, where they only operate in the north of
> the borough.

Not entirely true: Lime coverage is pretty much a rectangle between Peckham, Harringay, Ealing and Putney. There are some chunks carved out (presumably where councils have prohibited street parking?) and a couple of lumps added on. But there is plenty of London that doesnt have Lime service.

Posted by rahrahrah September 19, 04:08PM

Sorry, I meant Lime / Boris similar (I.e. some type of hire bike scheme). sE London is notably underserved compared to the rest of the Capital, as it is with most other forms of public transport

Posted by rahrahrah September 19, 04:09PM

ed_pete Wrote:
> Thing is, if you could get enough people together
> you could just go and get a load of Lime or Jump
> bikes from Central London and distribute around ED
> and Peckham. They're dockless after all.

You get fined if you park them outside the zone

Posted by Abe_froeman September 20, 10:14AM

Southwark council are not willing to pay for Boris bikes in this part of the borough

Posted by heartblock September 20, 01:52PM

Dear James,

Can Southwark rethink buying Boris bikes to encourage cycling.

Can the noisy drain between The Health Centre and the School running from LL to DV direction be repaired so we can all sleep at night.

Can the useless speed bump on the bend of EDG be removed and replaced by cameras so that traffic (when it is moving) is going at 20 or less rather than making more pollution and noise as it hits the ramp shedding particulates.

Can EDG have new paving as this has not been replaced for over 30 years, while the gated communities have lovely new paving.

Now the parking zone has come in ...the middle section after the bend could easily accomadate a cycle lane with parking on one side making it safer and the pavement in other sections could be widened as a shared pedestrian cycle path.

Maybe time to spend some of my 30 year + rates on my road?

Posted by northernmonkey September 22, 01:02PM

Heartblock - i wholeheartedly support what you have written - these are all very sensible points.

Also since the CPZ came in the stretch between the Charter School and JAGS has been transformed in terms of parking - adding a segregated cycle lane would provide a greater distance between homes / pedestrians and the pollution from cars. Even large scale EV adaotion won't do anything for particulate matter emissions so solutions are needed!

Hire bikes would provide an easy way to get from Dulwich / PEckham to Brixton for the tube meaning that the overcrowded 37 wouldn't be as difficult to get on!

Posted by MarkT September 22, 01:42PM

"Can the noisy drain between The Health Centre and the School running from LL to DV direction be repaired so we can all sleep at night."
That's 2 of you now want this. It's starting to look like a movement.
Surely that is a culverted stream. Are you asking James Knut McCash to hold back the waters?
MarkT

Apologies for my spelling of the Historic King's name. My first version, with a C, was bleeped out.

Posted by Rockets September 30, 07:38PM

It's getting on for a month since Cllr McAsh last made an appearance here and a lot of questions are still unanswered. He is fast becoming this forum's Ferris Bueller....winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by dougiefreeman October 01, 12:18AM

Completely ignored an email I sent to him and all other Cllrs also regarding the road closures.
Helen Hayes got back to me within a week...

Posted by Rockets October 01, 09:45AM

Yes it seems as if all councillors have a LTN filter on their inboxes that sends any email from anyone daring to question what they are doing to their trash!

Are they all still unable to do surgeries at the moment? If so, what I can't work out is that in this modern world everyone else is managing perfectly well to communicate via video calls etc yet our councillors seem to have given up on any direct contact with their constituents - using Covid as the excuse for zero communication.

Or perhaps they don't want to talk to people right now! winking smiley

Posted by Abe_froeman October 01, 12:30PM

hi James

Do you know why the council have consulted with so-called "Southwark Cyclists" on low traffic neighbourhoods, but haven't bothered to consult us, the people who live on the affected streets and who voted you in to represent us?

many thanks

Posted by Penguin68 October 01, 12:58PM

Do you know why the council have consulted with so-called "Southwark Cyclists" on low traffic neighbourhoods, but haven't bothered to consult us, the people who live on the affected streets and who voted you in to represent us?

Because you aren't worth spit, but Southwark cyclists (most of whom by definition don't live, or cycle, in ED) are God's Chosen. And have views which match those of Tooley St. Nobody is stupid enough to consult those who might disagree with you, when those are powerless to alter things.

Posted by Abe_froeman October 01, 02:06PM

If a councillor was frank enough to admit that then I would probably vote for them again to be fair!!

Posted by Dogkennelhillbilly October 01, 07:05PM

Rockets Wrote:
> It's getting on for a month since Cllr McAsh last
> made an appearance here and a lot of questions are
> still unanswered. He is fast becoming this forum's
> Ferris Bueller....winking smiley
>
>
> [www.youtube.com]

Bickering on the internet with pseudonymous numpties like you and me just probably doesn't seem like a good use of time at the moment.

Posted by Rockets October 01, 07:26PM

Ha ha...he was more than happy to when he was pushing his questionnaires to help justify the closures...winking smiley

We all miss him and the back and forth we all used to have - he gave as good as he received. I do feel sorry for him as I do suspect he can see the folly of these closures and he did, when he came last came on here, say he was concerned about the inequalities it might be creating. I very much suspect though that councillors have been placed under a party gagging order on the subject and encouraged to hunker down and not talk about it - it's becoming a white hot political hot potato and Labour HQ will be well aware of the damage it is doing ahead of the mayoral and council elections.

Posted by Dogkennelhillbilly October 01, 07:44PM

"Labour HQ will be well aware of the damage it is doing..."

Delusions of grandeur.

Posted by Peckhamgatecrasher October 02, 06:17AM

In defence of James, he has been doing some behind the scenes chasing for me which has resulted in a very satisfactory outcome.

Posted by Rockets October 02, 09:11AM

Dogkennelhillbilly Wrote:
> "Labour HQ will be well aware of the damage it is
> doing..."
>
> Delusions of grandeur.

Ha ha...so you don't think Labour HQ, with a new leader, after the most humiliating of election defeats where the biggest accusation was that they had lost touch with the electorate, isn't watching with interest what is going on across London with councils, the majority of them Labour run, over LTNs?

I am not the delusional one....winking smiley

Posted by jamesmcash October 05, 01:19PM

Dear all,

I hope that you are all well.

I have written an article for SE22 magazine about the low traffic neighbourhoods. Many of you will have had it posted through your door but if you have not then you can read it online here: [semagazines.co.uk] (Page 38 of SE22).

This follows from the explainer I wrote in our September newsletter, which you can read here: [www.jamesmcash.com]

A fair few of the questions in this thread are answered in one of those two articles. I will try to answer a few more here.

LTNs - positive feedback
I really hope the council stay the course, and make these changes as well, as restrictions on Townley Road, permanent. I don't have high hopes though - the reopening of Camberwell Grove to traffic proves that ultimately the petrol heads always win the day over at Southwark HQ.
It is clear that there have beeen major benefits to the schemes and we would not want to lose them. However, this needs to be balanced against the negative effects. I think we need further time to assess this. I am keen to hear the views of all types of road user - not just those who drive.

LTNs - negative feedback
Are you concerned by the negative impact this is having on your constituents?
Yes. It is clear that the measures have so far had mixed results. Some people like them and have benefited a lot. Others have not, and have had a more negative experience. As I said before, I expect the negative effects to diminish in the medium term and I am committed to evaluating the schemes fully.

LTNs - monitoring
Please can you tell us where the council is monitoring car numbers and pollution levels on streets other than those that have been closed?
In addition to the roads which have been closed, I have requested that there be monitoring on East Dulwich Grove, Lordship Lane, Grove Vale, Matham Grove and Zenoria/Oxonian Street. They are at various stages of monitoring. There are some data from pre-implementation but it is not comprehensive and it is difficult to identify the extent to which changes were caused by the LTN measures relative to city-wide traffic increases resulting from the evolving covid situation. The monitoring will therefore need to look at comparable roads as well as comparing figures before and after implementation.

LTNS - public virtual meeting
I think this is a good idea. I would like to see sucha meeting be incorporated into the evaluation process.

LTNS - consultation, Southwark Cyclists
It was not possible to run a proper consultation for the LTNs (for reasons outlined above). Southwark Cyclists, like local residents, were not consulted regarding whether the measures should be put in place. However, the coucil sometimes asks them for technical advice regarding how best to implement cycling infrastructure.

LTNS - Car targets
Is it correct that the council is targeting a 50% reduction in car usage in the area
Iíve not come across this statistic before.

LTNS - Local businesses
I totally accept that we did not do enough to communicate with local businesses in advance of implementing the measures. For that, I apologise.

We are trying to rectify this now by organising regular meetings with the businesses in the affected area.

Cycling paths
The suggestions on here sound great. I would love to see a road network which allows cyclists to totally avoid the main roads. It's just a case of finding the funding, and designing measures which balance the needs of all road users (at the moment the balance is clearly against cyclists!)

Cycle hire
TfL are reluctant to bring cycle hires this far south. There have been discussions about bringing them closer - e.g. Peckham or Camberwell - but Dulwich seems to far for them. I agree that this would be positive though, and it's something I raise at every opportunity I have

Noisy drain
heartblock - would you mind emailing me with further details? Happy to look into this. But if it is indeed a historic stream then I may struggle!

EDG speed bump
I'm in conversations about this speed bump and whether it should be removed. Replacing it with a camera is trickier though, as these have running costs that most other road measures do not.

Response to emails
Completely ignored an email I sent to him and all other Cllrs also regarding the road closures. - dougiefreeman
Many apologies - I try to always respond promptly to emails from constituents. In this instance, I expected one of the other recipients to respond, given that the email contained a number of technical questions which I was not well-placed to answer. I have since responded and hope that you will get a further response from officers in good time.

Yes it seems as if all councillors have a LTN filter on their inboxes that sends any email from anyone daring to question what they are doing to their trash! - Rockets
I don't think this is fair. With the exception of the email mentioned above, I think I have answered all the emails sent to me. I sometimes receive emails addressed to a long list of recipients and do not always respond to those, but if someone emails to ask me a question they can be 99% sure they will receive a response.

General comments
We all miss him and the back and forth we all used to have - he gave as good as he received. - Rockets
Thank you Rockets. I missed you too. One day I will retire and then I'll be able to spend the entire day engaging in banter with you. Until then, sadly I have to fit my time on this Forum alongside my other commitments.

In defence of James, he has been doing some behind the scenes chasing for me which has resulted in a very satisfactory outcome. - peckhamgatecrasher
Pleased I was able to help! (Not sure what this is in reference to!)

Best wishes
James

--------------------
James McAsh - Labour Councillor for Goose Green ward
James.McAsh@Southwark.gov.uk
[www.jamesmcash.com] [twitter.com]

Surgeries: 2nd and 4th Thursdays of the month at 7pm, East Dulwich Community Centre on Darrell Road

Posted by Rockets October 06, 07:03PM

Cllr McAsh,

Thank you for your responses

Some more questions for you:

PHASES 2,3 and 4
Given your concerns about the negative impact of the Phase 1 closures made in Dulwich Village would you not agree that it would be foolish to proceed with any other phases of the closures until the issues created by the first Phase are resolved? It appears clear that Phases 2, 3 and 4 are designed to do no more than chase the displacement created by the first phase. Surely the negative impact of any closures needs to be properly assessed before more closures are put in place?

PHASE 4
In the current Phase 4 plans East Dulwich Road will no longer be accessible from the East or West fork of Peckham Rye. Are you not concerned that this will force more traffic around the back-streets of your ward, further increasing congestion and pollution and will have a negative impact on the lives of your constituents?

Why is the council so determined to try and stop East/West travel across Dulwich? Has this been identified as the major cause of traffic through the area? Surely closing these routes (DV junction, Townley Road, Burbage Road, no right turn onto East Dulwich) is just going to force more traffic down other routes like East Dulwich Grove. The issue remains for the council that you cannot close every road and each time you remove a road it places more pressure on the other roads.

LTNs - monitoring
Is all of the monitoring in now? Will you be willing to share all of the data received to be independently verified - the council doesn't have the best track record in reporting accurate monitoring figures? From what I can gather from your email you are we to assume that you will not have like-for-like numbers for comparison? Why did the council initially decide to only put monitoring in place on the closed roads?

Lordship Lane
You rightly raise concerns about displacement on East Dulwich Grove and thank you for that as the situation there is untenable but are you also concerned about the impacts on Lordship Lane. Both ends of it, north and south are now awful and the northbound section heading towards Goose Green roundabout is particularly bad and this is having a significant negative impact on the shopping area where a lot of your constituents chose to shop and eat and drink. Are you concerned about this and what, other than removing the closures causing the displacement, can be done?

LTNS - public virtual meeting
I was suggesting this imminently rather than waiting for the evaluations. When would the council be willing to use a virtual meeting to engage with the Dulwich community? There is a significant weight of public opinion against the closures and 1,500 people signed up to support One Dulwich who are suggesting pragmatic half-way house measures but given the council seems reluctant to engage in discussions about these ideas over 2,400 people have since signed an e-petition to have all the closures removed completely - the council's inaction, and determination to force more closures, is leading people to lobby for the complete removal.

E-PETITION
Do you know why the e-petition was closed by someone at the council? It has since been re-opened but it would be good to know why it was closed and who closed it.

LTNS - consultation, Southwark Cyclists
You don't need to consult Southwark Cyclists whether they agree that the closures should be put in place because you know the answer to that already but it looks very bad that the council can find the time to engage with them (and seemingly pander to their every whim and request) and yet cannot engage with the residents directly impacted by the closures. Why does the council need to prioritise the opinions of a cycle lobby group, given them the same level of influence (or maybe even more so)than the emergency services, TFL and refuse collection services? You would have to agree this is, optically, a very bad look for the council especially as both the council and TFL has departments dedicated to cycling and can surely provide the same input? So, why is this group considered so important and are the people the council engaging with at Southwark Cyclists local to the Dulwich area?

Finally I can assure you, no-one is asking you to engage in frivolous banter - unless of course you happen to categorise the serious concerns many Dulwich residents have about the closures of roads around the area and the associated traffic displacement and increases in pollution as banter. winking smiley

Many in the wider Dulwich community just want some answers to questions they are posing due to the negative impacts these closures are having on large parts of our communities. Whilst some of the least populated parts of Dulwich revel in their joy at closed roads and their ability to hold street parties on what used to be a key route through Dulwich others on more densely populated roads are having to live with dangerously high pollution caused by the significantly increased congestion caused by the closures. This is completely untenable and I am, frankly, surprised that any Labour council or councillor is happy to stand back and let this continue.

Posted by ab29 October 06, 07:08PM

Agree with everything Rockets has written.

Posted by Lynne October 06, 08:18PM

Me too

Posted by first mate October 06, 09:37PM

Me too.

Posted by FairTgirl October 06, 09:54PM

Agree with Rockets and have some comments to make on your post Cllr McAsh.

While we applaud you for trying to answer some questions on a public forum, probably to save some time, it might have been better if you or your colleagues had actually just answered some emails from very worried people in your ward - I am yet another whose email (sent on 9 September to yourself and other councillors) remains unanswered - as do all the questions posed in a meeting and in a follow up email.

So as you have choosen to engage on a public forum, perhaps you can explain and answer some of the below.

Firstly this;
"LTNS - Local businesses
I totally accept that we did not do enough to communicate with local businesses in advance of implementing the measures. For that, I apologise.
We are trying to rectify this now by organising regular meetings with the businesses in the affected area."

Just to clarify you did not 'not do enough' you and fellow councillors did exactly nothing.
You have not arranged a single meeting - the exceptionally worried businesses contacted you and have arranged and chased for every single meeting, and continue to do so.
You have as yet not responded to any of their questions.

Perhaps you can explain why yourself and other councillors courted the opinions of only select residents in February, door knocking for a resident only survey and holding meetings in July to show them plans?

Did those plans include the discussion of the removal of more than 1/3 of business customer parking at the same time as the road closures?

Why did you tell businesses the road closures were related to Covid and social distancing when flyering had preceded it in February 2020?

Businesses have seen you outside their premises over the course of the year with other stakeholders, who we now know were involved in decision making. We know you are aware of the businesses and where they are, so why in decision making documents relating to the East Dulwich Phase 2 were the businesses omitted from the site map diagrams, on Melbourne Grove north in particular where there are 13 separate businesses, and omitted as stakeholders and thus from any consideration in impact surveys?

All businesses had re-opened by the time you held your meeting on July 15th - some had been open again post-lockdown for a month. Why did you again not invite them?

Would you consider an apology enough in light of the above and the fact that many business owners have already had to start exceptionally stressful conversations with their partners and families over their likely business future, eg Should they close and make redundancies just before Christmas? Should they get themselves into debt to try and ride out this minimum 6 month experiment? What kind of festive season can they and their children expect if they can't pay their mortgage?

Real lives, real impacts. And you just ignored them. Why?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was october 07, 11:51am by FairTgirl.

Posted by holymoly October 06, 10:53PM

very clear FairGirl. Deserves an honest response but our Cllrs reluctant to admit any failure or bias...

Posted by Spartacus October 06, 11:31PM

Rockets and fairTgirl
Couldn't agree more.

The council and councillors are just paying lip service to people whilst ignoring them totally.

Come elections they won't be happy to lose their seats I suspect.

Posted by FairTgirl October 07, 12:20PM

Islington residents are starting legal action, as have Ealing residents against road closures.

Notable quote from the piece in Islington Gazette - a 2018 High Court battle between Trail Riders and Fellowship and Wiltshire County Council set a precendent that consultation is still necessary under ETROs. (Experimental Traffic Road Orders).

Erik Pagano (resident who brought the case) said: [ETROs} should only be used when the works are genuinely experimental and not just novel and certainly should not be used to circumvent the normal consultation process."

[www.islingtongazette.co.uk]

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1718192021222324252627Next
Current Page: 26 of 27

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum