Nuisance on no 207 Lordship Lane

I have been a local resident for over 8 years here on Lordship Lane, never have i experienced anything like what im about to explain.

I was walking by the other day with my son where gravel from the building work on the scaffold on 207 Lordship Lane nearly dropped in front of me.

I screamed in shock and said what are you doing that nearly hit my son and i had such abuse by the builders swearing at me with what looks like a cannabis cigarette hanging out of his mouth.

I was shocked and gobsmacked by what had happened, they looked like cowboy builders, no helmets on whilst standing on top of the scaffold, it was just all so bizarre especially for the Lordship Lane.

When passers by intervened they also told me about the nuisance this tenant is with the building work going on through the night, the smell of cannabis and police at this premise all the time. Im not sure if anyone could help but if you happen to know the landlords details i would be so grateful to get in contact with them and let them know what a horrific kind of a tenant they have.

Am I right to think that this scaffolding is resting on the pavement? If this is so, it needs to be licensed and there should be a license attached to the poles. If this is on the pavement it is obstructing a public right of way and must be safe. Apart from the cannabis and the lack of helmets this doesn't sound safe.

It is most unlikely a simple tenant is undertaking construction work - more likely a leaseholder - although they would need the ground landlord's permission.

What you describe is unsafe and dangerous work practice - something that the council and/ or the H&S Executive should be addressing.

If you are concerned you might also want to contact your local councillor, or a councillor for the ward in which 207 Lordship lane sits (which I think is the new Goose Green Ward) if you are in a different ward yourself.

I heard a very similar story to you own!

A lady was nearly hit by gravel in the same place and again all was given was verbal abuse.

I have been told by the neighbours these people are leaseholder not the landlord and I'm sure they will be horrified at what they are doing.

Call the police. I have had to do it to them this week as I am at my wits end with them.

If you get the contact details of the real landlord then please PM me them as I would like to know what is going on also.

Please report this to the council as well as the police. This sounds like not only a nuisance but a bad accident waiting to happen.Only last month a young mother was killed by bricks falling from scaffolding at a building site in Mile End

I?m so glad someone has brought this to he forums attention as I live a few doors down and the amount of noise you here through the night is unbelievable.

It seems like these cowboy builders comes to work in the evening and works through the night, no consideration whatsoever for the neighbors.

We all have called the council but still no outcome of this.

There was even a incident the other day where the leasholder was causing havoc with one of the neighbors who was explaining to her that the noise through the night is unacceptable but again nothing came of it.

Shame the girls from the salon left i heard the leaseholder stole all their goods and changed the locks on them.

I hope they managed to get their possessions back.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Looks like the three people who've made complaints

> above are all first-time posters with profiles

> created today. You may well have a good reason for

> doing that. On the other hand you might be one

> person with an agenda.

Good spot! Stylistically very similar too.

Other than over-egging the pudding I cannot see what advantage this would bring. We have no power. Anyone taking this up officially would check the facts before taking action. If it was an attempt to bully the landlord, leaseholder or contractor it's a pretty ineffective one.

Oh, I don't know. These days the threat of reputational damage on social media is an effectve way to get a company to take a complaint seriously if they've been unhelpful in other channels.

If this thread disappears it might mean it's come to the notice of the builder involved and they take it seriously enough to complain to Admin. Say if it was a disgruntled employee behind it.

But the builder is never named (one could find out, but why bother?) and much as I love the ED Forum it's hardly 'social media' in the FB/ Twitter etc. space. I doubt if the Russian bot-verse is gearing up for an attack here. It isn't even half-way decent trolling. Just seems like the exasperated cry of one or more souls clearly upset by what's going on, I would guess, close to them/ him/ her. And even if somewhat exaggerated (I have no knowledge how much, if any) it does seem at least a case which needs addressing by somebody. I very much doubt if it's made up out of whole cloth - too easy to disprove.

I suggest all the ones suggesting otherwise of this matter should go and take a look at the state of this building for themselves and ask the neighbours. No need to make things up i have better things to do, my concern is the general health and safety of the general public.

Lots of ladies with kids walk past here and unfortunately i was one of them who lukily escaped getting hit.

You may have a point, Penguin68, but to a legit local company I think this forum is still a powerful influence. If it were a decent building co and there was a sign on the works with their name on I suspect they'd react as it could damage their chance of business in the area. Remember the now defunct local restaurant that for a while no one was allowed even to name?

• 1 month later...
I have filed several noise complaints that have pretty much been ignored. The department seems understaffed. I hope these is neighbors get some justice. It?s bad enough listening to the Lordship Pub but to have builders throughout the night is rough.

Interesting what you say about the Lordship Pub LeeK. We live nearby and have noticed that noise levels do seem to increasing. They?re obviously doing well - and there seems to be weddings most Friday and Saturday nights at the moment. The late night discos are pretty loud and do start to get annoying in the summer months when the windows are open! Not sure there?s much that can be done though...