Recycling - Can you help?

Dulwich Park cafe sells take away teas and coffees in throw away cups, canned drinks and plastic bottles. Today was sunny and the park cafe was as usual absolutely packed with customers buying food and drink. There are 6 bins outside the cafe and none of these are recycling bins. I asked the cafe staff and was told that Southwark Council are responsible for the bins and not the cafe.

Currently a HUGE amount of recyclable waste is going to landfill. This problem is not exclusive to Dulwich Park and I think Southwark need to step up and put more recycling facilities into their parks in general. I am going to contact Southwark council and request recycling bins. I wanted to ask others to do the same as this is a shocking situation and one that would be easy to amend.

In an ideal world maybe, but sometimes it isn't practical to do so. Recycling bins is a much better idea - and more bins generally. Goose Green playground bins were overflowing the other day and litter was blowing all around the playground.

Unless they specifically marked recyclable, most take-away cups can't be recycled because they have a plasticised liner.

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/disposable-coffee-cups-how-big-problem-environment-landfill-recycling-incinerate-export-rubbish-a8142381.html

If you buy take-away coffee or tea and the enormous amount going to waste bothers you then buy a keepcup (or similar, there are lots of different sorts). Quite a few eco-friendly cafes will give you a discount if you bring your own cup -- you are reducing their costs and (more importantly) the planet. The cafes often sell these cups too.

https://uk.keepcup.com/?country=United%20Kingdom#

I have got a reusable coffee cup and never buy take away cups. My point is that hundreds of cans and plastic bottles are heading straight for landfill. If they had recycling bins in the park then this would really help. If you care about recycling then you could help by contacting Southwark.

• 1 year later...

I don't think Southwark does consumer facing waste bins ie things that look like rubbish bins but say recycling only or similar. They used to some time ago but maybe gave up because (like all the other similar bins I've ever seen) they were filled by miscellaneous rubbish.

I think Veolia sort the park bin rubbish for recycling. You could check this with your local councillor. Disposable cups are a different problem (which you have solved personally with the keep-cup) because they are not re-cyclable at all (they are a mix of paper and plastic which can't be separated).

Some cafes use paper cups inside and out which seems terrible to me -- presumably it saves on the washing up. All you can do about that is not use them and tell your friends.

• 2 weeks later...