So was it worth it? ( the recent festival on Peckham Rye)

I saw a couple of threads on the recent festival on Peckham Rye. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are now its been and gone? I went to Gala on the Sat, a nice day in the sun with a load of kds who were nutted. It was a good day, but the Rye has taken a real pummeling and will take a year to recover. I don?t begrudge anyone having fun (I was there!) but was it worth it to be left with the Rye in this condition? It was a beautiful spot to spend an afternoon, but its now a churned up mess and I wonder how many people wld be keen for it to return next year? Quick poll - yes or no?

Sorehead Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I saw a couple of threads on the recent festival

> on Peckham Rye. Just wondering what everyones

> thoughts are now its been and gone? I went to Gala

> on the Sat, a nice day in the sun with a load of

> kds who were nutted. It was a good day, but the

> Rye has taken a real pummeling and will take a

> year to recover. I don?t begrudge anyone having

> fun (I was there!) but was it worth it to be left

> with the Rye in this condition? It was a beautiful

> spot to spend an afternoon, but its now a churned

> up mess and I wonder how many people wld be keen

> for it to return next year? Quick poll - yes or

> no?

Do you have any photographs that you have taken that you can post to show how the land looks now ?

Have you raised your concerns with Will Walpole, park manager,Peckham Rye ward Councillors, Cllr Dr. Hamvas and Cllr Mills or the management of the festival to find out what is being done in reparation ?

I'm not against events of this type, but I think one of the most attractive parts of the park has been left in a sorry state. It may not take a year to recover, but seems likely to remain degraded over the rest of the summer.

I went to GALA on Saturday and agree with the OP, lovely day, well organised and and we couldn?t hear the music at all from our garden. I don?t think the park looks any worse than it did in the depths of winter when it was completely waterlogged and resembled a swamp. Sure it will recover quite quickly.

It was a good vibe when we walked past in the evening and we could not hear too much noise BUT people up the hill got totally bombarded as there was no buffer between them and the stage. One friend said she was in tears by Monday night with the constant base.

They got away with it this year. It was kept small, weather was good and they had a lot of bouncers. It made the council some money (love to know how much), but did little for local people, esp as not family friendly.

It?s a very small park for this kind of thing. Given the impact on those up the hill on a bank holiday weekend I would say it was not worth it.

I have read all of the reviews here and not sure we are talking about the same "Gala Event"; the event in Peckham Rye Park took place on the Sunday and Monday and not the Saturday. I live very close to the park and love gardening but there was no joy in being in the garden on that weekend. I managed to cope with the constant music on the Sunday but by Monday afternoon could no longer stand the noise. I love music as much as the next person but not for 12 hours at a stretch on two days running. I voted against the Gala event and really really hope it never takes place again in PRP. It's bad enough that the park is not being maintained as well as it used to be and this event has certainly not helped. No doubt I shall receive a tirade from several people out there - the Forum is becoming much like twitter where you can't just voice an opinion without someone having a go at you. And no I don't do Twitter nor Facebook, I am a pensioner and I still have a right to my opinion. Thank you and goodnight.

It would be nice to think that revenues from hiring out the park could then be used to actually maintain it. That would be, to my mind, a good trade-off, particularly for those living close, for a weekend's disruption. Indeed, if the park could be made to pay for itself that would be of benefit to all living around, especially those paying local taxes which otherwise would have to be used for such a benefit (or not used, allowing the park to fall into disrepair, as it apparently has this year).

Toby Tobias Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I have read all of the reviews here and not sure

> we are talking about the same "Gala Event"; the

> event in Peckham Rye Park took place on the Sunday

> and Monday and not the Saturday. I live very close

> to the park and love gardening but there was no

> joy in being in the garden on that weekend. I

> managed to cope with the constant music on the

> Sunday but by Monday afternoon could no longer

> stand the noise. I love music as much as the next

> person but not for 12 hours at a stretch on two

> days running. I voted against the Gala event and

> really really hope it never takes place again in

> PRP. It's bad enough that the park is not being

> maintained as well as it used to be and this event

> has certainly not helped. No doubt I shall

> receive a tirade from several people out there -

> the Forum is becoming much like twitter where you

> can't just voice an opinion without someone having

> a go at you. And no I don't do Twitter nor

> Facebook, I am a pensioner and I still have a

> right to my opinion. Thank you and goodnight.

I thought the Sunday was ThisIsGala, The Monday was Jam on the Rye (mainly at Peckham Levels)

I was (and am still 90 percent) all for it . It was a nice event attended by lots of people (I went) . I accept that some people found it disturbing but as one poster said building works ,strumming of gardens and general family life is equally so . Let's see what the park looks like in a month and make judgement then . I've seen the rye after the circus and it was the same