Speeding on Barry Road

I've lived in this neighbourhood for several years now and it strikes me that the council have no issue investing our council tax on traffic calming in side roads where speeding is practically impossible yet on the longest, straightest road in the borough cars are regularly exceeding 50mph (the noise from some of the motorbikes is crazy) yet nothing is being done.

Anecdotally I would say there is a big crash on this road once every 2-3 months and my other bugbear is people pulling out behind 12 bus on to the wrong side of the road and accelerating into oncoming traffic but that's another post.

My question to my fellow residents is shouldn't we have a couple of cameras here at least?

I couldn't agree with you more - more like a race track at certain times of the day.

I looked the other day and seems to me that whilst there is 20mph signs at top end - by church, doesn't seem to be any other markings. Not sure about road by Peckham Rye.

Would happily sign a petition for introducing some form of calming measure - know that Southwark Council I think need to monitor road for a period of time before doing something about it.

Definitely a good idea. I used to peg it down this road - far too sketchy. The Underhill crossing and zebra next to Goodrich are dangerous, and the lights next to the Upland Road crossing are very often skipped on red. Happy to sign something in terms of consulting etc.

For my benefit as an aged person, what does

"I used to peg it down this road - far too sketchy."

mean ?

And for the benefit of others suffering from the noise and pollution on Barry Rd I continue to put in reports to Thames Water re noisy and broken manholes that resound with every passing vehicle .

Link below for others in similar distress

https://www.thameswater.co.uk/Help-and-Advice/Report-a-problem/Report-a-problem

This has been the subject of discussion on this forum for a number of years, as I recall too few people are being killed or maimed on the road for the Council to bother - as it is both a bus route and a numbered road. A number of 'good ideas' have been floated, including speed cameras (which would catch speeding buses, so that's not on), speeding warning lights and other things - even mirrors to allow crossing traffic to see passed the parked-up white vans - the 'best' solution apparently is to narrow all the minor cross roads at their junctions, causing traffic to 'hang' in Barry because it can't get through and cross - which I would have thought was more likely to cause accidents - but what do I know?

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> same is true for the road stretch at Goose Green

> between LL roundabout and CP Rd/Adys Rd

> crossroads.

> mental speeds in both directions, easily 45+ mph

> in many cases.

Totally agree. Easily the least complied with 20mph zone I've ever come across, in particular at night

After the nightmare that has happened in Dulwich Village over the last few months for a few yards of cycle lanes and no sooner had the junction box been painted on the ground, council realised a big mistake after spending a morning there - several of them. The box mysteriously disappeared.

Surely, if they can afford to spend so much money on that which I thought was to extend to Court Lane as well, then they could have a consultation - unless a campaign gets underway with local support, frankly nothing will happen, until an accident happens and as this neighbourhood is so "child friendly" imagine the consequences.....

Rant over.

My daughter was knocked down by a speeding car on Barry Road just past the Underhill Road junction, she was thrown into the air onto the car (no charges were brought against the driver ) despite my daughter having to go to a head trauma hospital because of it ! Thankfully she made a full recovery .

I have noticed recently driving down Barry Road from Church end that tree branches are obscuring the lights at the Upland/Barry junction. If you are unfamiliar with this road, it is not until you are almost at the junction that you notice the lights.

There are TWO unused speeding notice signs (ie they should light up and tell you your speed as you approach them)outside 19 Barry road, one in front of the other. If these worked and if there were others up and down the road,I am sure speeds would be reduced.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, and not being particularly knowledgable about the Barry Rd situation - but IMHO speeding down side roads increased dramatically from the introduction of the 20mph limit on the main roads. Cars go at crazy speeds down Underhill on the long hill down to Melville, even with all the traffic calming bumps (which do nothing back make a horrible sound when speeding cars scrape them or trucks rattle as they bump over them.

I would be in favour of some of these rat-run roads being closed to through traffic, and being access only.

Having lived on Underhill for close to 30 years I noted when the humps were introduced a significant reduction in speeds, and a significant reduction in accidents within 50 yards of my house - nowadays it's just wing mirrors that get knocked, not entire cars. Yes, of course there are still loonies who speed - or who tailgate me and hoot when I'm going at 20 or less, which I do, (why sh1t on your own doorstep?) - but in general things have calmed down - which may be a reflection on just how wild west it used to be. Speedsters are unusual nowadays, rather than the norm. And the road is so narrowed often with parked cars far wider than in my youth - and oncoming traffic, that speeding is frankly more difficult than it used to be anyway, humps or no.

Southwark Council, like all the others, is absolutely strapped for cash. I'd be all in favour of having speeding fines on Barry Road and don't understand why automatic fines aren't doled out more often. Is the registration number recognition equipment really expensive or something? I've had a few fines for straying into the occasional yellow junction box or bus lane in Camberwell/Crystal Palace/Old Kent Road etc.

Unfortunately there has been another crash on Barry Road this lunchtime. A car pulled out of Silvester Road in to the path of an oncoming vehicle which then rolled and landed on the opposite side of the road by the driveway to the church. Only one person was in the car travelling down Barry Road apparently but both airbags were activated and the car is very damaged - the driver I understand has been taken to hospital. I hope everyone involved is OK.

I drove down Sydenham Hill this morning and noted that due to the 3 or 4 speed cameras, NOBODY does over 20mph and that road similar to Barry Road, has buses going down it and no speed bumps that I am aware of.

I'm going to write to the council and I'm happy to organise a petition if there's interest.

We need some speed cameras on Barry Road to stop any more people getting hurt.

BanJo Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Unfortunately there has been another crash on

> Barry Road this lunchtime. A car pulled out of

> Silvester Road in to the path of an oncoming

> vehicle which then rolled and landed on the

> opposite side of the road by the driveway to the

> church. Only one person was in the car travelling

> down Barry Road apparently but both airbags were

> activated and the car is very damaged - the driver

> I understand has been taken to hospital. I hope

> everyone involved is OK.

>

> I drove down Sydenham Hill this morning and noted

> that due to the 3 or 4 speed cameras, NOBODY does

> over 20mph and that road similar to Barry Road,

> has buses going down it and no speed bumps that I

> am aware of.

>

> I'm going to write to the council and I'm happy to

> organise a petition if there's interest.

>

> We need some speed cameras on Barry Road to stop

> any more people getting hurt.

This appears to be a case of bad driving and not looking when pulling out in front of moving traffic and not speeding

Agreed sally - accidents will always happen but the impact and damage done in a collision is less at lower speeds as we all know.

In general, if every car was actually going at 20mph rather than nearer (or over) 30mph, it would certainly make it easier for vehicles emerging from the side roads and safer for those driving down Barry Road itself.

Certainly agree and as I have said more than happy to sign a petition.

As I think all who have posted on this thread..... Now it has happened.

Interestingly, just come back home and due to presence of police car with lights. Drivers are definitely slowing down.

It also occurred to me yesterday evening when I was driving along Barry Road that even reprinting 20 mile signs on road would at least make drivers more aware.

Still think and don't know how expensive it would be but to clock cars driving faster than 20 mph would be good - there are a lot of schools near the road and whilst parents, cares, nanny's etc keep the kids under control they often have a couple riding ahead and with best will in the world, kids beingvkidsxmightbnot stop at junction and if more than one no way can adults have eyes everywhere.

We have already had on this post, mention of a kid who survived been thrown in the air.