Golden City chippy on Whateley Rd

Anyone know what happened to the Cantonese guy who ran the chippy ?

Years ago his old Mum used to help out behind the fryers.

I know the place has been sold on now, but I wonder about him and whether he?s OK.

He had a stroke a few years ago, which slowed him down a bit but he was still popping up to Chinatown to teach Cantonese to the little ?uns nevertheless.

You must be talking about the 1980s - at least that's the last time I remember going there before it closed. Deep fried spare ribs with chips were a dream. As to your query, though, I can't help. You know more about him than me. All I remember was the food and his very basic grasp of English (if we are talking about the same person). I wish I could find a place that makes the food as good as it used to be there.

Anyone know what is happening to the building itself? I thought it had been sold last year and there seems to be work going on in the building next door but nothing appears to be happening in the actual chippy on the corner. It's such an eyesore...

While of course it?s his property and his business what he does with it, I?ve always wondered why he holds onto it in such a ramshackle state? If it?s because he wants to let his kids inherit it, surely some kind of maintenance would be beneficial?

Each to their own of course. Personally I don?t object to the visual nature of it, I?m just perplexed as to why it?s like that when there is no perceptible upside to it.

The top piece of glass in the one of the first floor windows looks like it is going to fall out shortly. In the absence of anyone living there I did drop an email to building control over a year ago, but heard nothing back.

Is it just me?

He used to make fantastic chips and there was plenty of competition, with the chip shop next to the butchers opposite what's now Meat Liquor which also had a sister shop on Northcross road and iirc there was a pretty decent one on Barry road in those days, too.

Lowlander Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The top piece of glass in the one of the first

> floor windows looks like it is going to fall out

> shortly. In the absence of anyone living there I

> did drop an email to building control over a year

> ago, but heard nothing back.

>

> Is it just me?

I saw that today.

The bottom part of the window frame has rotted and come away from the glass.

I agree it's an accident waiting to happen but I have no idea who it should be reported to.

Also, worryingly near kids coming to and from the school.

se22cat Wrote:

> He used to make fantastic chips and there was

> plenty of competition, with the chip shop next to

> the butchers opposite what's now Meat Liquor which

> also had a sister shop on Northcross road and iirc

> there was a pretty decent one on Barry road in

> those days, too.

I'm trying to remember what that chippie was called in North Cross Road? My mother's friend worked in there.

I'm pretty sure in the 80s it had the same name as the one next to the newsagent opposite what was then, one of 3 local Place Bakeries stores. I remember at one point the price of a bag of chips went up every couple of weeks for some reason...

Lowlander Wrote:

> The top piece of glass in the one of the first

> floor windows looks like it is going to fall out

> shortly. In the absence of anyone living there I

> did drop an email to building control over a year

> ago, but heard nothing back.

>

> Is it just me?

I emailed James Barber when he was a councillor about the window. He said he had reported it to the Council but no action had been taken.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I walk past this place all the time, have been since 2006, always wondering what's going to become of it... I think we'd enjoy another chippy there, perhaps Mr Liu wouldn't enjoy the competition of another Chinese restaurant, however! It does seem like a bit of a wasted opportunity, especially as there's a school right across the way. Not advocating crap food for kids, just a bit of livening up of the back streets behind LL!

• 5 months later...