Local ?zero waste? shop - looking for business partner(s)

Myself and two other locals are hoping to set up a zero waste shop. We?d sell packaging-free dried food goods (bring/buy your own containers, or use free paper bags/jars, and fill up with as little or as much as you want) and non-plastic/reusable kitchen and bathroom items. It?d probably be in Peckham, possibly Nunhead (ED rents are bonkers, sadly).

We?ve done very short (5 minutes) market survey:

https://goo.gl/forms/q32hrjA0tMUXRQYo1

We?re hoping for a wide range of responses so we?d be really grateful to anyone who fills it in. Thank you!

Used to go to 'Nobodies business' at the pullens estate years ago. The prices were brilliant. Having no packaging reduces the prices a great deal. Been searching ever since to no avail. Bean sprout where in Herne hill are you talking about?

Great idea, would definitely shop there if in Peckham/ED. Its a shame that ED rents are so high, as would nicely compliment the existing butcher/fishmonger/cheese shop/greengrocers on LL. There are a number of empty shops on the high street, I would have thought the landlords would prefer to except a lower rent than to leave it empty for a year+.

Done, good luck with it. Though unfortunately if it's not in East Dulwich I'm unlikely to go over to Peckham/Nunhead just to pick up some dried goods, sadly. As devin3 says, so annoying that ED rents are so high when there are empty shops here...

Thank you everyone for your positive comments and for doing our survey! We really appreciate it 🙂

Bodsier - Naked Larder work differently; you order every two months. The closest ?proper? (ie high street shop) ZW shop is Hetu, in Clapham Junction.

You can also take your own Tupperware to the local cheesemongers and butchers. That?s currently what we do.

Tupperware is plastic ! and leaks BPA into the contents.

The nearest advocate of the principle you are espousing is the wonderful little stall on Crystal Palace Market

on a Saturday morning.

The produce is excellent, the couple who run it are informed and informative and friendly - The Store Cupboard

Haynes Lane, opens at 10 am.

BeccaL Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is the one in Herne Hill

> https://www.nakedlarder.co.uk/

We attempted to check this place out a while ago - they are coy about their address

which is not even declared on their Facebook page, or the full postcode.

Has anyone physically been to the premises?

If grain is stored in sacks there will be vermin.

I remember food being weighed in grocers with a paper or waxed bag and a little scoop,

and if the weight was one raisin over, a delve into the bag with uncovered fingers usually

sorted that out.

There is a good reason why sugar, grain and flour is packaged early.

It?s not single use plastic. We buy meat rarely but, when we do, we use Tupperware to transport it home. For cheese we actually use beeswax wraps.

moondancer Wrote:

> Tupperware is plastic ! and leaks BPA into the

> contents.

>

> The nearest advocate of the principle you are

> espousing is the wonderful little stall on Crystal

> Palace Market

> on a Saturday morning.

> The produce is excellent, the couple who run it

> are informed and informative and friendly - The

> Store Cupboard

> Haynes Lane, opens at 10 am.

They?re not a high street shop; you order in advance, they then place a bulk order for everyone, and you pick yours up.

moondancer Wrote:

> BeccaL Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > This is the one in Herne Hill

> > https://www.nakedlarder.co.uk/

>

> We attempted to check this place out a while ago -

> they are coy about their address

> which is not even declared on their Facebook page,

> or the full postcode.

> Has anyone physically been to the premises?

> If grain is stored in sacks there will be vermin.

>

> I remember food being weighed in grocers with a

> paper or waxed bag and a little scoop,

> and if the weight was one raisin over, a delve

> into the bag with uncovered fingers usually

> sorted that out.

>

> There is a good reason why sugar, grain and flour

> is packaged early.

yes OC, I understand the principle and understand also that this is not a HS shop - however in order to pick up one has to know the location. Presumably this is secret until or unless one is initiated into the purchasing process, in which case it is not possible to visit, observe, and approve the facilities in which your raw food is stored and packaged before committing oneself to an online order.

Do they have and exhibit a Hygiene Rating for instance.

Saving pennies and packaging is all very well - cleanliness and hygiene standards are an imperative.

1982 - the year channel 4 started.

Mathers in Broughton Street Edinburgh (Licensed till 2.00am)just a couple of doors up from Realfoods (barrels of grains, pulses, spices and proper soap!).

Real beer, real bran and Farenheit 451. In fact you could catch a Fassbinder or Truffaut movie at 9.00pm on a Friday and still have hours to sink a few pints downstairs.

Both Mathers and Realfoods are still operating and I understand channel 4 are running a series called 'Humans'.

I do sometimes wonder if ED is shortened for it's likeness and whether it will ever catch up and of course I wonder how much that flat is worth now...

K ;).

Hi there - I?m really confused by this - I didn?t write any French, and it?s showing up as English to me. Sorry, I?m not sure what?s happened there!

Elphinstone's Army Wrote:

> Why is this survey described in French ? is this a

> French initiative ?