East Dulwich Station Mural - And the winner is....

Thank you so much for taking part in the vote to choose an artist to paint a mural on the bridge outside East Dulwich Train Station.

Along with an esteemed judging panel we had a fantastic response from the East Dulwich community with just shy of 1,000 votes cast. The votes are now in and we are delighted to announce that the winner of the East Dulwich Station Mural competition is Blue Shop Cottage / Alphabetics Anonymous.

We will be meeting Blue Shop Cottage to discuss their ideas and will present these as soon as we possibly can. Once the final design is approved, we will be crowdfunding to cover the preparation and protection of the mural.

Thanks again for your your input! It has been much appreciated. We will be sure to keep you updated as the project moves forward.

For more info, contact [email protected]

---------------------------

EAST DULWICH ACTION GROUP

The East Dulwich Action Group is comprised of local residents and businesses working together to deliver Southwark Council's High Street Challenge Initiative, provide a sense of identity to East Dulwich and promote the area to residents and visitors alike.

Our project partners are: Southwark Council / Network Rail / Dulwich Festival

www.LoveEastDulwich.com

-------------------

Original Message

East Dulwich Station Mural - Vote for your favourite artist now!

Following a fantastic response to our open call for interest, three artists have been shortlisted. They are:

- Blue Shop Cottage/Alphabetics Anonymous

- D*Face

- David Shillinglaw

View each artist, mural FAQs and cast your vote here: https://loveeastdulwich.com/east-dulwich-mural/

The winning artist will be selected by the East Dulwich community vote and an independent panel of judges.

Voting open Thurs 14 June and closes on Friday 29 June at 1700.

For more info, contact [email protected]

---------------------------

EAST DULWICH ACTION GROUP

The East Dulwich Action Group is comprised of local residents and businesses working together to deliver Southwark Council's High Street Challenge Initiative, provide a sense of identity to East Dulwich and promote the area to residents and visitors alike.

Our project partners are: Southwark Council / Network Rail / Dulwich Festival

www.LoveEastDulwich.com

Yeah we agree! We had SUCH a great response from local and international artists to our call for interest. SO difficult to choose a favourite. We don't envy you guys having to choose!!

-----

We are also running a photo competition for locals and visitors for a big outdoor exhibition later this summer.

Submit selfies, photos of friends, family and scenes in and around East Dulwich here:

https://loveeastdulwich.com/me-ed-photo-competition/

EDAG

www.LoveEastDulwich.com

Yeah, Cella. We'd love to utilise the roadside wall, but we can't justify our own road closure, or inconvenience. HOWEVER when we heard the road may be being closed for utility work, we jumped on it.

No guarantee that we can schedule things in around it yet, but fingers crossed. If we can't we've still got an awesome space to work on! Very excited about this element of the project.

-----

We are also running a fantastic photo competition for a big outdoor exhibition later this summer.

We are looking for locals and visitors to submit selfies, photos of friends, family and scenes in and around East Dulwich here:

Everyone has great shots on their phones, and we'd love to see them!

EDAG

www.LoveEastDulwich.com

cella Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sounds great. Just zoned in on the proposed

> planned road closure too.....

Hi Cella

The road closure is planned in by the Highways Agency as part of the local building utility improvements, nothing to do with the mural. We are simply trying to piggy-back on this to paint the highest profile wall while the work is taking place.

EDAG

cella Wrote:

> Was more thinking about local reaction to the

> delays etc!

uncleglen Wrote:

> I googled antonyms to 'subtle' as NONE of them are

> subtle (unfortunately) and it said- 'crude, lurid'

> and an archaic antonym- 'artless'- imvho just

> about sums it up- I did not vote

As usual, nice bit of cherrypicking there - the thesaurus also offers as antonyms for subtle "bold", "honest", "open", "forthright" and "striking". Cheer up uncle, there will still be plenty of blank concrete walls in the neighbourhood for you to stare at whilst moaning about...well, just about everything, in fact.

Voted - they all look fantastic and can't wait to see the artwork which ever artist wins.

I absolutely love all the street art appearing everywhere from the simple area names on bridges and the beautiful shop front images (like Brockley high street) to the more dramatic murals around East Dulwich even though some of the specific designs are not to my taste. The photos on North Cross Road are really special - I look at them every time I pass by.

Awesome! Thanks for voting!!

Yeah, we are very lucky to have such awesome street art around ED, much of it down to the dedication and passion of the incredible Ingrid Beazley giving some fantastic artists a platform in the area.

We really hope the final piece will be a fitting and exciting addition to an already strong collection of work.

EDAG

-----

We are also running a fantastic photo competition for a big outdoor exhibition later this summer.

We are looking for locals and visitors to submit selfies, photos of friends, family and scenes in and around East Dulwich here:

Everyone has great shots on their phones, and we'd love to see them!

EDAG

www.LoveEastDulwich.com

Ontherun Wrote:

> Voted - they all look fantastic and can't wait to

> see the artwork which ever artist wins.

>

> I absolutely love all the street art appearing

> everywhere from the simple area names on bridges

> and the beautiful shop front images (like Brockley

> high street) to the more dramatic murals around

> East Dulwich even though some of the specific

> designs are not to my taste. The photos on North

> Cross Road are really special - I look at them

> every time I pass by.

Actually, Ingrid Beazley's theme was specifically to reinterpret pictures from the Dulwich Picture Gallery as Street Art in order to draw young peoples' interest into traditional gallery art.

So, if you genuinely want to follow in Ingrid's footsteps, then the best way forward would be to brief the winner to recreate a Mural based on a Dulwich Picture Gallery work.

Or, even an better idea be would be to create a street art work based on an image of Ingrid, to serve as a memorial in the area to her passion. Several of us have talked about trying to commission a street art memorial to Ingrid... so maybe this is the perfect opportunity??

rch Wrote:

> Actually, Ingrid Beazley's theme was specifically

> to reinterpret pictures from the Dulwich Picture

> Gallery as Street Art in order to draw young

> peoples' interest into traditional gallery art.

>

> So, if you genuinely want to follow in Ingrid's

> footsteps, then the best way forward would be to

> brief the winner to recreate a Mural based on a

> Dulwich Picture Gallery work.

>

> Or, even an better idea be would be to create a

> street art work based on an image of Ingrid, to

> serve as a memorial in the area to her passion.

> Several of us have talked about trying to

> commission a street art memorial to Ingrid... so

> maybe this is the perfect opportunity??

I agree.

What was the process of the shortlisting?

I love (most of) the local street art, but if I voted in this case, it would be for the one I disliked least, sorry :(

or just paint a wall white and let people daub what they want, creating a living collage of emotion, rather than this awful tawdry managed monstrosity of committee approved street art. The stasis of homogenized mediocre art is no more apparent than with the heinous murals that blight our landscape.

anyway, who is paying for this terrible idea? me most likely.

I don't think Ingrid would have been at all happy with a mural about her - but I am convinced that a mural consistent with her vision of celebrating the Picture Gallery collection through street-art interpretation would absolutely hit the spot. Dulwich has a unique collection of street art driven by an unique vision - which should be celebrated and continued.

I think that a plaque in memory of Ingrid's contribution would be a good thing (she'd have probably hated that as well!), but walls are for the murals she dreamed of, one art culture saluting another.

Perhaps the choice of artist should be aided by that artist's interest in taking forward Ingrid's vision, and hence blending in to the local street art zeitgeist.

I worked closely with Ingrid under the radar for years - there's a photo that she took of me and Stik in her book. I told her that I was going to create a memorial to her and she laughed. She asked me to do something else specific (just a couple weeks before she passed), as well, which I'm still struggling to do (can't say in public).

There is a carved memorial stone to her in the floor of the Dulwich Picture Gallery outer hallway, plus they had a memorial event for her, but it would be nice to have a Street Art memorial mural out in the community and ED Station would be the perfect location.

I didn't think the choices were that great, either, which is why I'm trying to direct this into something positive...