Where's hot and not - SE22

Hi

I'm looking to buy in East Dulwich, a family home. I'm looking at a number of streets and frankly want to get the goss. What do people know/say about certain areas/streets in SE22 eg. you can't find parking easily on x street, y street is considered the best in the area, z street is considered a bit dodgy etc..

To help narrow it down I'm looking at:

North of ED Grove

Melbourne, Derwent and Elsie.

South of ED Grove

Trossachs, Playfield, Ashbourne.

East of LLane

Fellbrig, Rodwell, Slivester, Hansler etc..

Thanks!

I can't recommend Trossachs Rd enough - great community spirit, equi-distance from ED and DV, houses slightly bigger than average (terraced) in area, and school catchment

Guess the same applies to Tarbart/Glengarry

I'm on Rodwell and it's lovely. As a street it's super quiet as it's not a cut through and doesn't even get too busy with parents parking up for drop off/pick up at Heber. Parking is fine, can get busy in the evenings but I can always get a space a few yards from the house if not bang outside. My Mum always marvels at how peaceful it is whenever she come to stay. I've got great neighbours and everyone is friendly.

Good location for primary schools, surgery on Crystal Palace road only a few minutes walk. You can be on Lordship Lane in minutes so great for Cinema, shopping, eating out etc.

Houses vary in size from one side of the road to the other. Ours is probably one of the smaller being a standard 2 story terrace but the loft was converted and kitchen extended into the side return before we moved in so it's a good size 4 bed. Garden is a small patio but I don't think that's uncommon in our area of ED.

We looked at A LOT of houses before we settled on Rodwell, to be honest we didn't have limitless choice as we bought when people were going a bit mental and places were going to sealed bids and in an ideal world we'd like a slightly bigger hall and an extra half foot or so width in the reception room but that's being super picky. It's a great house, a pretty road with beautiful blossom in the spring and a brilliant location.

Crawthew Grove is one of the best streets in the area; 30 seconds to Lordship Lane or North Cross road market, less than 10 mins to ED station, 5 mins or less to Goose Green, is lined by trees, visited by a variety of cats, birds and foxes, incredibly quiet during the day, what more could you want?

Although the area has got a lot safer since I moved here, the rise in stabbings and moped-related crime has reminded me that in my own mind Trossachs/Tarbert/Glengarry, Melbourne, CPR and its side roads, Barry Road and the Everthorpe/Oglander triangle are hotspots for burglary, stabbings and muggings. I also have memories of shootings in Melbourne Grove and Barry Road (don't shout, I know it's not a regular thing!).

I'd go slightly uphill from Goose Green: Rodwell/Heber/Jennings/Thompson. Slightly removed from the above areas but still close and (talking of hot areas) in hot weather there's more chance of a breeze - when I lived in that central bit of ED I found in summer I noticed how hot it got as although the houses are low by comparison with say Camberwell and Forest Hill it's quite concentrated brick, much of it white so reflects heat, with not many large trees. For that reason I'd look a bit further afield as well.

So how many stabbings have their been in ED in the last 10 years? None that I'm aware of, sounds like a bit of scaremongering actually.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Although the area has got a lot safer since I

> moved here, the rise in stabbings and

> moped-related crime has reminded me that in my own

> mind Trossachs/Tarbert/Glengarry, Melbourne, CPR

> and its side roads, Barry Road and the

> Everthorpe/Oglander triangle are hotspots for

> burglary, stabbings and muggings. I also have

> memories of shootings in Melbourne Grove and Barry

> Road (don't shout, I know it's not a regular

> thing!).

>

> I'd go slightly uphill from Goose Green:

> Rodwell/Heber/Jennings/Thompson. Slightly removed

> from the above areas but still close and (talking

> of hot areas) in hot weather there's more chance

> of a breeze - when I lived in that central bit of

> ED I found in summer I noticed how hot it got as

> although the houses are low by comparison with say

> Camberwell and Forest Hill it's quite concentrated

> brick, much of it white so reflects heat, with not

> many large trees. For that reason I'd look a bit

> further afield as well.

Angelina Wrote:

> If you'be got kids presumably your priority is

> school. So, either SE24 near Charter, or near the

> new Charter.

Or maybe near to any of the other Outstanding secondary schools we have in the area...

dbboy Wrote:

> So how many stabbings have their been in ED in the

> last 10 years? None that I'm aware of,

I didn't say it's happening all the time but there was one just a few days ago, I think around Glengarry Rd. Southwark is second in the Met's league table for violent crime after Lambeth.

ETA I find the latter quite interesting as from levels of news coverage and public figures who are quoted on these things you'd have thought it was Hackney or Islington.

Angelina Wrote:

> If you'be got kids presumably your priority is

> school. So, either SE24 near Charter, or near the

> new Charter.

Not sure why Angelina thinks you need to be in SE24 for The Charter? We live firmly in the SE22 area OP described (Tross/Tarb/Glengarry, and all the kids (who attend state secondary) from this area go there - including ours.

Also, RPC's feeling that this area is one of the "hotspots for burglary, stabbings and muggings" couldn't be more wrong. In fact in the 23 years we've been in this house it's been very quiet - last week notwithstanding - most of the crime in ED seems to happen around the area she mentioned on the other side of LL.With respect PRC you're talking nonsense.

Our gardens get a nice breeze in summer. If that kind of thing is even relevant?

> Although the area has got a lot safer since I

> moved here, the rise in stabbings and

> moped-related crime has reminded me that in my own

> mind Trossachs/Tarbert/Glengarry, Melbourne, CPR

> and its side roads, Barry Road and the

> Everthorpe/Oglander triangle are hotspots for

> burglary, stabbings and muggings. I also have

> memories of shootings in Melbourne Grove and Barry

> Road (don't shout, I know it's not a regular

> thing!).

>

tosh.

> Sillywoman, no need to be quite so rude and

> dismissive, If you look at the stats - and posts

> in this forum - there's enough evidence and it's

> sensible to be aware of the risks. I never said it

> was like New York in the 80s...

With all due respect, and in reference to sillywoman's comments, one stabbing is not "stats".

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> Is this thread a wind up?

the OP may not be but some of the responses are verging on a surrealist performance piece

I would like to see someone post up that their road is a total dump and should be avoided at all costs to give a bit of balance to the mass hug in and confirmation bias handwringing on show here