Where round here is air-conditioned?

d.b

We're sweltering in the heat and looking for good suggestions for places with air conditioning, or failing that a shady outside area which is actually cool... All suggestions appreciated.

The Horniman Museum gardens are always good for a breeze, or you could go to Dulwich Woods. I spent this evening sitting in a patch of shade in Dulwich Park and even that was pleasant.

Sainsbury's DKH is cool and you can sit in Starbucks.

Or just fill the bath with cold water and lie in it. Sounds silly but I sometimes do that if it's a really hot summer. If your bath's big enough you can invite your partner to join you, light some candles and share a bottle of wine.

You can create the sensation of being cool in other ways too - I'm sure people will add their tips here as this subject always comes up at this time of year, particularly when the nights are warm.

I dab on peppermint oil or Vick, both of which make you feel cool, and right now I have a cold hot water bottle in bed that has been in the fridge all day.

Don't go on a routemaster, whatever you do.

My neighbour (since moved) put a mobile airco unit in their bedroom and directed the exhaust pipe bit out of the window closest to me, just a couple of feet from my own bedroom window, meaning it was pushing noise and heat (making cold air produces hot as a by-product) at me and another neighbour all night. Obviously they didn't care but if you value good relations with your neighbours you might want to think that through.

They're also expensive to buy and run, and not eco-friendly. Not keen on them personally.

Decoraterdave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Im thinking of buying an air-conditioning unit,

> does anyone have experience , recommendations?

they are good for extreme bouts of hot or humid weather wheere you need to cool down a room, for example before a babys bedtime, but need to be located by a window and that window needs to be sealed around the exhaust pipe, otherwise it loses efficiency.They are ?150 or so up, Amcor is a standard brand most often seen.

you will need space to store it as well , so bear that in mind for the 340 days of the year it will not be used- one other aspect is ability to recharge- the cheaper one are non serviceable and the coolant will bleed out over time- like a cars A/C. the more expensive can be recharged. They generally work best in one room with the doors closed to maximise impact. They can be set to hit a certain temp and then finish to save energy.if you want to cool a house with one , you are wasting your time

they have their use and when used correctly, make a massive difference.

Where's Iceland when you need them 😆

d.b Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We're sweltering in the heat and looking for good

> suggestions for places with air conditioning, or

> failing that a shady outside area which is

> actually cool... All suggestions appreciated.

• 1 year later...
The Great Exhibition is indeed lovely and cool. A tea (or in this weather a chilled tap water) for me and a Guinness for my partner is our perfect wind-down at the end of the day (luckily for us that's about 6ish). The staff are all really friendly, too. And relax...