Has Copleston road change, or is it me?

When I moved into Copleston Road, on the one way part, it use to be quite and really peaceful, but lately there seems to be alot of noise around. On Friday night, two neighbours seem to be at it, cursing and shouting at the top of their voices in the back gardens between 11pm - 12:30am.

Several new people have moved into the street on the opposite side of me, and just seem to be naturally loud all the time, without a thought for the neighbours living nearby. it could be 2pm in the afternoon, or 2am in the morning, there is no reduction of volume, just loud, almost shouting form of chat.

There a lady who lives close to me, that seems to sing / cackle loudly a lot, both in her flat and out of it.

Only today, a guy bare feet was shouting down the phone to someone.

there is also a increase in foot traffic also.

I know alot of this is because my windows are open, but i wish my neighbours would keep there business to themselves.

I love peace and quiet

I've only lived here two and a half years but in that time haven't noticed things getting worse - in fact it's beautifully quiet in my opinion! Long road though, if we're in different segments it could well be different (I'm about in the middle near Soames Street). There is a group of youths who seem to have got into the habit of gathering near the Soames Street corner of an evening in this hot weather, but they're perfectly peaceful and indeed polite so don't bother me (they might look a bit intimidating to a stranger I suppose). Building works can be annoying, especially when you work from home as I do, but they're part and parcel of living in London. Other than that the only annoyance recently has been the idiots using the road as a ratrun because of the works outside ED station - by all means use the road, but not at twice the speed limit! Oh and a couple of selfish twats in the morning who obviously pick people up and sound their horns instead of getting out and knocking on the door. But otherwise,I find it very chilled!

ETA sorry, I've just seen that you live on the one-way part, so almost a different street!

You're not alone - think it's just a symptom of everyday life unfortunately. My road is fairly quiet, which I relish, but at other times it's things like people sitting outside drinking, loud outdoor mobile chats, stationery cars outside your house with loud throbbing music, engine running, shouty mobile chats, cars with loud music parked in middle of the road having shouty chats with someone in a house, builders working all day shouting and sweating etc etc Really really wearing.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thank goodness for the rain; put a stop to

> barbecues and outdoor parties where I am. I know

> that sounds miserable but I haven't been able to

> use my garden or have the windows open at weekends

> for what seems like the whole summer.

You haven't been able to use your garden because of BBQs and outdoor parties. Care to elaborate can't see that works

I'm in the Copleston, Oglander, Everthorpe Road triangle of gardens and I am slowly going out of my mind. There is a family who are constantly screaming and shouting in their garden (not arguing), there has been building work every day forever. Why so much hammering? Have these people not heard of nail guns? Last night super loud music until the deadly hours, I assume a party. Last weekend super loud music from across Copleston Road. Today some ignoramus was doing horrendously loud building work or diy at gone 7.30pm in the evening. It has definitely got worse. Just before the rain started this evening there was all manner of whooping and hollering going on.

I was raised to be considerate of my neighbours, if I want to listen to music outside, I use my headphones. I don't have loud phone conversations in the garden. If I have friends over and sit in the garden, I make sure we're not loud or go in at a reasonable time bearing in mind people have kids who are trying to sleep. Sadly and clearly not everyone was raised this way.

I have a chronic illness (migraine and insomnia to boot) and whilst I am more than aware that it is not reasonable to expect the place to be serene and quiet at all times, the amount of unreasonable noise around here at the moment is having a huge effect on my health.

I live in Ondine, backing on to the area Cedges talks about and the family's noise extends here.

There is very little that can be done as unfortunately people who make a lot of noise, are often are not amenable to polite approaches.

The council noise officers may be able to help with loud music at night but will not intervene in domestic noise usually.

It might be worth getting together with neighbours to give polite approaches a bit more muscle - metaphorically of course, not literally.

ollieloudon Wrote:

> Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Thank goodness for the rain; put a stop to

> > barbecues and outdoor parties where I am. I

> know

> > that sounds miserable but I haven't been able

> to

> > use my garden or have the windows open at

> weekends

> > for what seems like the whole summer.

>

> You haven't been able to use your garden because

> of BBQs and outdoor parties. Care to elaborate

> can't see that works

You seem pretty stupid. The post in question is self explanatory.

Sympathies, Robert Poste's Child & trinidad.

trinidad Wrote:

> I feel your pain cedges, and sorry to learn of

> your medical conditions. Any ideas on how to

> tackle such issues? is there a resident

> association in the area?

I appreciate the sympathy thanks Trinidad - its not an ideal situation but it is to a point 'one of those things'.

As PeckhamPam said, it difficult to do anything about this type of noise - you can't really stop someone having building work done/doing DIY although I did work very heavily when my neighbours extended to try to minimise the impact (they they were helpful to the extent possible in return - unlike their builders who gave no hoots).

Talking loudly and hollering doesn't have much truck with the Southwark noise team and whilst I have called them about loud music in the past, they have to assess the noise by coming into your bedroom and they don't arrive immediately so last week I made the decision that i'd likely get more sleep but hunkering down with my audiobook on headphones and trying to block it out.

As PeckhamPam also said, the people making this kind of disturbance are rarely the kind to respond to a reasonable approach.

There is no residents association to the best of my knowledge and to be honest, with my medical issues, I don't have a lot of appetite to try to start one or be too heavily involved with something. Bit of a catch 22 with that one unfortunately :( I'd certainly willingly add my testimony to anything that was set up to support any action.

And Abe_frowman, you seem to be confusing main road in Zone 2 central London with supposedly 'quiet' residential area that happens to be in Zone 2 central London. There is a significant difference between living on Lordship Lane and Copleston Road, as I am sure you well know when you are not busy trolling.

Abe_froeman Wrote:

> I think some of you have forgotten that you live

> in Zone 2 of Central London.

Hello Abe, I dont think any of us have forgotten we live in Zone 2. Whats your point??

• 4 weeks later...
Hi trinidad, I too live in Copleston and it's still a pretty quiet street on the whole. I think I know the lady who sings/cackles and she is a really good person, sure if you spoke to her she would be sympathetic, if you find it disturbing. We do have some people in the street now with severe mental health issues and that's down to cut backs in public services unfortunately, as they get little or no help. Contacting the local councillor or contacting mental health services can sometimes provoke a reaction, if enough people voice there concerns. I too was bought up to be considerate to others and also to speak to others if I have an issue, this can be daunting at times but at least trying can sometimes change things. Copleston Road has always been a vibrant and at times noisy place to live and I really hope that continues because for me it's a great place to live. Cheers.