Forum Sponsors

https://www.tutorfront.com
xxxx
http://www.ellyallen.com/

www.inshutters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
messageRe: Dulwich Beer Dispensary
Posted by malcolmchurch 05 October, 2018 11:44

Live in Dawson Heights, Overhill Road......great news, will pop in later today, and don't forget P13 bus also stops outside

Posted by DulwichBD 07 October, 2018 19:21

Thanks to everyone who popped in over the last few days. We hope you had as much fun as we did! Hope to see you all again soon smiling smiley
The DBD team x

Posted by DulwichBD 08 October, 2018 14:47

Just to keep you all in the loop regarding our food offer... From this week we will have the magnificent Stranger Naans guys providing delicious meals every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 5pm onwards and on Saturdays from midday 'til late. Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays from Sunday 14th October we will have local foodsters Taco De Planta serving up their gorgeous Tacos. If you have any questions feel free to drop us a line at DBD@southeybrewing.co.uk.

Much love,

The DBD team x

Posted by malumbu 18 October, 2018 18:34

Without getting into discussion about the success of the Beer Dispensary is this a good sign that the Grove Tavern could be made to work? Please to direct me to any other relevant thread. The Harvester was not my cup of tea, but seemed to be popular enough and I had the odd drink in the garden.

Posted by ruffers 19 October, 2018 09:13

I've popped in a couple of times so far, so far so good.
Not the finished article as they say but a nice space, feels very different to me from the Barcelona days, and a lovely few beers in my experience.

Hopefully it does OK.

Posted by OutOfFocus 19 October, 2018 20:28

Can anyone recall what the place was before Barcelona.

Posted by LoulaRose 19 October, 2018 21:02

It was a restaurant called Flashmans. I was a young girl when I went there with my family but remember great burgers, steak, ice cream sundaes and a wonderful antique apothecary cabinet as the backdrop.

Posted by Siduhe 19 October, 2018 21:21

Iíve been told that a long while before that it was a old school pharmacy - thatís where the cabinet came from.

Posted by Applespider 20 October, 2018 00:06

And the cabinet is still there.

Iíve been in a couple of times since they opened and each time, every other person who arrived at the bar commented how great it was to be able to get a drink locally.

Think it will take some time to establish itself and then, I guess weíll see if there would enoughdenand for the far bigger Grove to re-open. I canít see that as a bar/restaurant only but could have seen it as an inn with rooms until the two proposals for hotels at Forest Hill went in

Posted by EDOldie 26 October, 2018 15:47

I'm sure it was another restaurant or wine bar before Flashmans but can't remember the name. The original Flashmans was smaller and they built the wrap around extension at the front. Nice guy ran it, Graham?

Anyway me and MrsOldie popped in the other day to give it a go and we were a bit underwhelmed. The beer wasn't great and the place looked like it could do with a good clean. I'm very glad it's there mind and I'll definitely go back. Maybe I just had a flat pint.

Posted by Penguin68 26 October, 2018 16:48

After Flashman's for about 2 years or so it was La Pharmacie - a quasi French-ish bistro sort of place; generally good but I remember some diabolical over-cooked and dried out Cromer crab there. Then the Barcelona chain took the premises over. I agree that the extension to the front was done whilst it was still Flashman's - I can remember the before and after. I think the Flashman's owner/ manager continued to live over the premises for some time. It was Flashman's 30 years ago when I moved to the area.

Posted by rahrahrah 30 October, 2018 06:21

malumbu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Without getting into discussion about the success
> of the Beer Dispensary is this a good sign that
> the Grove Tavern could be made to work? Please to
> direct me to any other relevant thread. The
> Harvester was not my cup of tea, but seemed to be
> popular enough and I had the odd drink in the
> garden.

It could work, but more profitable as flats. Hence itís being allowed to deteriorate to the point where people are begging for it to be knocked down.

Posted by Sue 19 November, 2018 16:06

rahrahrah Wrote:
> malumbu Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Without getting into discussion about the
> success
> > of the Beer Dispensary is this a good sign that
> > the Grove Tavern could be made to work? Please
> to
> > direct me to any other relevant thread. The
> > Harvester was not my cup of tea, but seemed to
> be
> > popular enough and I had the odd drink in the
> > garden.
>
> It could work, but more profitable as flats. Hence
> itís being allowed to deteriorate to the point
> where people are begging for it to be knocked
> down.

There is currently a sign outside the Grove saying it is a pub lease to let, or words to that effect?

Posted by Applespider 19 November, 2018 18:23

Incidentally for those in the area, thereís a sign outside DBD saying they are starting a pub quiz on Weds evenings.

Posted by HelBel65 20 November, 2018 13:50

This place is great. Fantastic beer selection, friendly staff. When we went last week there was a pop up menu by Stranger Naans (home made flatbreads & wraps) - turns out they're going to be there daily from tomorrow onwards which is great news because the food was ace!

[www.strangernaans.co.uk]

messageRe: Dulwich Beer Dispensaryattachment
Posted by DulwichBD 06 December, 2018 15:55

Hey folks,

In case you weren't aware, our first ever Stand-up Open Mic Night is tonight at 8pm! We have the magnificent Sophie Ings running the show and have at least 5 great acts on the stage. Entrance is completely free and Stranger Naans have just launched their brand new expanded menu so it's a great time to check us out! If anyone would like to book a table just give us a call on 02070188586.

Much love,

The DBD crew xx

Attachments: LaughmanstandingposterJPEG.jpg (411.5KB)  
Posted by se22cat 06 December, 2018 18:08

It's really nice to hear the place is doing well and having events that the local community can enjoy, well done to the team!

Posted by AndrewBarton93 January 13, 07:28PM

Went in for a roast and wow was I not disappointed in the slightest! Hoped to have the lamb shank but had sold out so went for the chicken instead, glad I had it! Beautifully seasoned and cooked to perfection. The rosemary roasted potatoes were delightful and the rooted mash veg was the perfect companion to an overwhelmingly amazing chicken roast dinner, will for sure be coming back again! Please save me some of those honey mustard pigs in blankets for next time!!

Tried to add a photo of the roast but file is too large sad smiley

messageRe: Dulwich Beer Dispensaryattachment
Posted by bradc07 January 13, 11:54PM

We were lucky enough to have the lamb and the pigs in blankets. Both were absolutely incredible. So happy to have a good roast on our doorstep. Also managed to take a snap!

AndrewBarton93 Wrote:
> Went in for a roast and wow was I not disappointed
> in the slightest! Hoped to have the lamb shank but
> had sold out so went for the chicken instead, glad
> I had it! Beautifully seasoned and cooked to
> perfection. The rosemary roasted potatoes were
> delightful and the rooted mash veg was the perfect
> companion to an overwhelmingly amazing chicken
> roast dinner, will for sure be coming back again!
> Please save me some of those honey mustard pigs in
> blankets for next time!!
>
> Tried to add a photo of the roast but file is too
> large sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was january 13, 11:54pm by bradc07.

Attachments: rps20190113_235202_879.jpg (157.7KB)  
Posted by fishbiscuits January 14, 09:06AM

Funny looking chicken!

Posted by jimbo1964 January 15, 07:08PM

Looks delicious.

Posted by Sue January 16, 03:55PM

AndrewBarton93 Wrote:
> Went in for a roast and wow was I not disappointed
> in the slightest! Hoped to have the lamb shank but
> had sold out so went for the chicken instead, glad
> I had it! Beautifully seasoned and cooked to
> perfection. The rosemary roasted potatoes were
> delightful and the rooted mash veg was the perfect
> companion to an overwhelmingly amazing chicken
> roast dinner, will for sure be coming back again!
> Please save me some of those honey mustard pigs in
> blankets for next time!!
>

First post? Sounds remarkably like one of those paid-for "reviews" in local papers ..... smiling smiley

Posted by Sue January 16, 03:56PM

fishbiscuits Wrote:
> Funny looking chicken!

That's probably because it's a picture of the lamb big grin

ETA: Isn't this thread in the wrong section??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was january 16, 03:57pm by Sue.

messageRe: Dulwich Beer Dispensary - gone
Posted by HelBel65 May 31, 01:21PM

Closed permanently according to their FB page. Such a shame. Seems the location didnít work out for them.

Posted by DovertheRoad May 31, 03:13PM

Ah bollocks. Hard to get footfall in that location but I did like to pop in at times and the beer was great. I went in this week on Monday and the beer was slightly off, despite the lovely service. Wishing them all the best of luck with all the good stuff they are doing elsewhere. Really good people and passionate about good beer.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was may 31, 03:15pm by DovertheRoad.

Posted by jimbo1964 May 31, 03:28PM

That's a shame.

Posted by TheCat May 31, 03:39PM

Ah bugger. I suppose im probably symptomatic of a number of people located in and around 'central' east dulwich...I liked the idea of this pub, and have always been intending to go....but whenever i've popped out for a beer, its not top of mind to go in that direction down lordship lane. But thenm every time I drove past when heading south for whatever reason, I though 'I must go there next time'.

I never did, and seemingly, never will.

Posted by Applespider June 01, 08:40AM

Real shame but not entirely surprised as it was rarely (ever) busy. But pity for it to close before the summer allowed for the outside area value to kick in.

I got caught out a couple of times taking friends and being told no food that day so we didnít stay long. I think not being on Untappd or posting their beer list anywhere helped either in terms of getting beer nerds in.

Will take my share of the blame though - I only made it in monthly despite being around the corner.

Posted by Sue June 01, 09:09AM

Sorry to hear this, but not surprised, sadly.

Given there are no other bars near there it might have done well, but unless it got enough business from nearby residents it couldn't have thrived, because it didn't seem sufficiently appealing to be a destination for others.

We went once. It was OK, but there was no food when we went, and there wasn't any atmosphere. Bit chicken and egg, as there was nobody else in there to create the atmosphere.

Hope they haven't lost too much money on it sad smiley

Posted by bloodoranges June 04, 09:55AM

I'm sorry to hear this, I have been quite a few times as we live really close but the atmosphere was just a bit odd and there was no set way - once or twice I went for a sunday lunch but the roasts were off. Such a shame!

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum