Proposed East Dulwich CPZ

treehugger

I received a letter from Southwark Council through my door yesterday, entitled Barry road speed reduction and Southwark Spine consultation. The contents were quite welcome ie, proposals for reducing traffic speeds on Barry road and creating a cycle route. However the map on the back, showed the whole of East Dulwich as being designated as a proposed CPZ area. This was not alluded to in the letter at all.

Comments were welcomed at www.southwark.gov.uk/barryroad. Can I suggest that you make your views known, as I fear that another stealth campaign is in action to make the area a CPZ.

mrwb Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Revenue raising excercise, no surprise:

>

> https://www.southwarknews.co.uk/news/southwark-cou

> ncil-answers-claims-spent-officer-salaries-uk-auth

> ority/

>

> Money needs come from somewhere. That will be us

> the residents.

>

> Wondering if people even receive the letter given

> the state of the postal service.

No surprise there- it is well known that Labour councils use front line services as a political football when there is a Tory government- I dread to think what is going on in Education after the last time the Tories were in- no-wonder schools become academies

Let the scare stories, myths and fake news commence....!

Councils legally have to keep revenues from parking in a separate account to cover the operational costs of a CPZ (ie enforcement officers issuing tickets to ensure spaces free for those with permits). Any surplus is spent on highways improvements.

The council is not trying to enforce this on us, it?s thankfully listened to many residents asking for restricted parking to address the current parking issues and resulting congestion, which is only going to worsen with the new Charter ED school and health centre being operational in the new few years. Hundreds of teachers and health centre visitors expected each day with minimal room onsite for parking.

The zone is admittedly very large, I?m assuming this is to address any concerns about spill over.

rendelharris Wrote:

> kford Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Nothing on that link about Cpzs

>

> On the "Barry Road Map" link at the bottom of the

> page:

> https://consultations.southwark.gov.uk/environment

> -leisure/barryroad/supporting_documents/BarryRoad2

> 0mph_V7.pdf

This proposed CPZ includes my road, and I have heard nothing recently about it.

I am still opposed to it, I normally have no problems parking, and I hope they are not just going to enforce it without further consultation.

bels123 Wrote:

> Let the scare stories, myths and fake news

> commence....!

>

> Councils legally have to keep revenues from

> parking in a separate account to cover the

> operational costs of a CPZ (ie enforcement

> officers issuing tickets to ensure spaces free for

> those with permits). Any surplus is spent on

> highways improvements.

>

> The council is not trying to enforce this on us,

> it?s thankfully listened to many residents asking

> for restricted parking to address the current

> parking issues and resulting congestion, which is

> only going to worsen with the new Charter ED

> school and health centre being operational in the

> new few years. Hundreds of teachers and health

> centre visitors expected each day with minimal

> room onsite for parking.

>

> The zone is admittedly very large, I?m assuming

> this is to address any concerns about spill over.

Looks to me like the council can spend the money raised on quite a few transport related things. If they don't get the money from a CPZ presumably it has to come out of the general budget raised from our council tax?

H&F Make about a ?23m a year surplus out of parking controls for example:

https://www.lbhf.gov.uk/sites/default/files/section_attachments/lbhf_annual_parking_report_-_v1.0.pdf

?9.6m goes on concessionary fares, if they didn't get the money from the CPZ where would it come from?

Where would the ?10.9m money for highways maintenance etc come from if they didn't have a CPZ?

If Southwark are going to introduce a CPZ surely they could then use the money raised to pay for concessionary fares & highway maintenance which is funded how at the moment?

If the spending on highway maintenance etc is coming from our general council tax then surely Southwark could take the budget freed up and reduce all our council tax? Effectively make the CPZ free and possibly even saving us all money.

In that case sounds good to me.

Does anyone have a link to a full map of the proposed CPZ? The one posted above doesn't show the full boundary of the proposed zone.

Putting aside my views on whether a CPZ should be introduced, I really hope Southwark follows a proper consultation process on this.

a_m Wrote:

> Does anyone have a link to a full map of the

> proposed CPZ? The one posted above doesn't show

> the full boundary of the proposed zone.

>

> Putting aside my views on whether a CPZ should be

> introduced, I really hope Southwark follows a

> proper consultation process on this.

I agree. It looks very vague up by ED station. And it definitely needs a proper consultation.

Southwark do have consultations but as usual it is too little too late as people that are against a CPZ do not respond for whatever reason or another. By then it is too late and Southwark have to go with the small percentage who do want a CPZ in place.

I couldn't wait to have a CPZ in force in my area over 2 years ago and it's the best thing that's happened but there will be those that disagree as parking was effectively 'free' for many years before this.

Passiflora Wrote:

> Southwark do have consultations but as usual it is

> too little too late as people that are against a

> CPZ do not respond for whatever reason or another.

> By then it is too late and Southwark have to go

> with the small percentage who do want a CPZ in

> place.

>

> I couldn't wait to have a CPZ in force in my area

> over 2 years ago and it's the best thing that's

> happened but there will be those that disagree as

> parking was effectively 'free' for many years

> before this.

On another thread Cllr James Cash said:

Jamesmcash wrote.

"The consultation will identify what appetite there is for controlled parking in different areas. The consultation area is quite big but the results will not be all-or-nothing. In other words, if controlled parking is popular in some areas but not in others then the former can have controlled parking and the latter not."

If you believe this you may be in for a surprise.

Look at the DKH CPZ some roads opted out but were told as the others are in the plan they had to be also.

It is what Southwark wants not you. So they had to be in also.

The sense that the people are being given what they want is disingenuous. S'wark know full well that displacement parking from streets that want CPZ will then tip other streets into needing it, until every street is CPZ.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was september 03, 12:07pm by spider69.

Hi all

As noted above, I raised this on my thread just over three weeks ago. A full consultation will launch fairly soon. I know that opinion on this issue is very divided, with strong feelings on each side. I hope that we can reach a solution that everyone can live with.

Best wishes

James

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://moderngov.southwarksites.com/documents/s27152/Appendix%2520A%2520Grove%2520Vale%25201st%2520and%25202nd%2520stage%2520CPZ%2520consultation%2520report.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiqkZTG19ndAhVFUhoKHch3BrMQFjADegQICBAB&usg=AOvVaw1z9YcaGLlGV8gIUUI97yYC

Here's a link to the consultation back in 2012 for the Grove Vale area. I expect the next one will be just as thorough. It does seem the residents were split. It also appears that the response rate was only around 20% so best respond when we are consulted lest we end up with an outcome that the majority dont want.

We?re just outside the proposed CPZ zone, so there?s a concern about spillover here too.

For me it comes down to what sort of CPZ is proposed. Something with a 3 hour window where people can?t phone in remotely to get parking during the controlled period wouldn?t stop me from using the places I do on LL and surrounds. I mostly cycle anyway but occasionally use the car.

But there?s no CPZ that Southwark operates which will help with the parking issues we have - which is small business vans and lorries parking up. We have three businesses run from homes on our street (garden design, builder, waste removal). Each of them has 2-3 vans/small lorries and the people have family cars too. They?re great neighbours and you can?t really criticise anyone who runs a successful business from home in this environment but it does have a big impact on parking and a CPZ won?t help as they are residents entitled to take out permits. The last survey done by the LibDems re a CPZ showed a similar issue - there were comparatively few commuters parking in ED to then catch trains elsewhere, but there were a lot of small business vehicles and local shop/business workers coming in.

I agree with other posters that the pressure on parking is greater and I suspect the majority of people will now favour a CPZ, so the thing for me is making sure it?s one that doesn?t damage the vibrant high street and businesses we are lucky to have while balancing residents needs.

Ignoring the CPZ issue for now, as the CPZ consultation hasn't launched, the Barry Road consultation breaks the road into three sections

South, Middle and North

For the southen section it reads

"We haven't yet decided what features to include for this section of the Southwark Spine. We need to make the street much safer and more accessible for cyclists and pedestrians."

But based on the proposals for the middle and northern sections, you can bet it will potentially remove residential parking spaces.

The middle and north sections propose a loss of 28 and 17 residential parking spaces (45 in total)

There is little evidence that Barry road suffers commuter parking issues so that means 45 residents cars, vans or other vehicles will be displaced on a permanent basis.

Even if a CPZ is proposed then that many residential cars plus whatever is lost in the southern section won't easily be absorbed along with the expected loss of parking spaces in other roads (CPZs always lose spaces including across dropped curbs where the homeowner can currently park)

This is also on top of residential spaces being lost on crystal palace road due to the cycle spine and loss of spaces due to increased corner parking double yellow lines

up to you how you respond to the Barry road survey, but read it all first and understand what the real impact would be on residents of the area and surrounding roads is my recommendation