TfL plan to reroute Bus 40 away from London Bridge

Bic Basher

A consultation on major bus changes is happening from today. TfL plan to cut or reroute 34 bus routes in central London as cuts in funding start to bite.

As part of the plans, they plan to reroute the 40 away from London Bridge, instead running along Blackfriars Road to Blackfriars and then to Clerkenwell Green. This would lead to ED no longer having a direct bus service to London Bridge, which is handy when the trains are down.

Nearby changes also include extending the 343 to Aldgate, running via Tower Bridge after City Hall.

Full details at https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/central-london/?cid=central-london-bus-consultation

That's crazy, and surely the entire point of the route???

I love the 40, it has some of the nicest drivers and is such a great route. Seeing how many city workers there are in ED it's really going to hit the local people if this goes ahead and it'll just cause huge crowding at the Elephant nad Castle stop, bloody idiots!

This was covered on the forum a month or so ago but the search function is so crappy I can't find it... Here's the relevant part of TFL's consultation:

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/32943d3b/

Effectively, the journey to London Bridge will be in two legs with a change at Elephant. TFL propose to increase the frequency of the No. 35 to take up the slack.

This isn't ideal, but TFL argue that demand is down on many of these routes and, with the new Hopper fare, it won't impact users financially. And this is only a further example of the long-term trend of breaking down long routes into shorter ones to take into account different demand on different sections of the journey. For instance, the No. 12 used to run all the way to Shepherds Bush.

It means south east London will be LESS well served for bus services and ber in mind we do not have a underground, with the exception of the already overcrowded London Overground. If these changes will affect you please take the time to respond to the consultation.

Also see https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/buses/central-london/?cid=central-london-bus-consultation

This is mad. One of the delights of living in this area is that there is a direct bus over almost every Central London road bridge. If they cancel the 40, there will be nothing between Tower Bridge (78) and Blackfriars Bridge. Worse for anyone not in walking distance of the 78.

Changing bus in E&C is already a scrum, so this will make it even worse.

SE22 will have too many buses over Blackfriars Bridge as the 63/363 already head over that route frequently (although I appreciate that that route isn't much use for anyone the other side of Lordship Lane).

Personally, I use the 40 several times a week as I travel almost the entire route, meaning that I'm almost certain to get a seat at both ends. It means that I get a lot of notes and proof-reading done on the bus, allowing me to spend more time at home with the family.

I have completed the consultation with my thoughts.