Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/
xxxx
Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

www.wickhamsecurity.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
messageRe: TfL plan to reroute Bus 40 away from London Bridge
Posted by Bic Basher April 13, 10:05PM

> Bic Basher, Points 1,2 and 3 agreed. TfL are in
> control of the contracted out bus and tram
> service's provided for them. These companies do it
> to make a profit. Mark my words, whoever and I
> don't really care who it is, the new Mayor is in
> 2020 will need to reverse Khan's 1.50 a journey
> fare, repeal the day fare cap and increase fares
> even further all around, just like Boris did when
> he was in office, and it's an office we don't
> need, much the same that Mayor's of London
> Boroughs are not needed and are a waste of time,
> effort and money.

It's pretty certain that TfL fares will rise in either May 2020 or January 2021 in an attempt to fill the plug lost by Government subsidies which used to help run the transport network, the loss of revenue from the late opening of the Elizabeth line and general revenue loss from passengers switching from the bus to other modes of transport.

I can't see the Hopper fare being axed though, it's through this scheme which has allowed bus routes to be cut.

Another issue that has made the bus service unreliable is the 20mph speed limits imposed by London boroughs including Southwark. There was a time when it was viable to use the bus into Zone 1, but unless you leave early or have the time to ride the bus, an 80 minute bus journey from ED to the West End simply isn't viable.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 13, 10:09pm by Bic Basher.

Posted by dbboy April 13, 10:15PM

Totally agree about the 20 mph limit, ridiculous as is the habit of drivers to stop at a stop where no one has hailed the bus to stop or wants to get off, stop, open the doors, close the doors and move off again, a pointless time and fuel wasting exercise.

Or the spontaneous announcement saying the bus driver has been instructed to wait at the stop to EVEN out the service. There has been no instruction, it's the driver who has decided to do so. And oh yes, the latest one, the bus is about to depart or some similar stupid wording, after four stops, Please stop repeating the same message. it's bleedin' obvious.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 13, 10:15pm by dbboy.

Posted by Zebedee Tring April 14, 08:20AM

dhboy, if you don't consider any of your statemments as political, your definition of "political" is very different from mine.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was april 14, 08:52am by Zebedee Tring.

Posted by dbboy April 14, 11:57AM

Cella - Khan doesn't care about the impact or consequences, he signs off the TfL recommendations given to him as it makes no difference to how he operates.

Zebeddee ting - the current councillors have let the people down by not objecting strongly enough at the London Assembly That's what you get when you have Southwark operating as a one party state, which is wrong. Now that is a Political statement.

And as pebs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Poor shout from our local counsellors methinks. James Barber would have been all over this.

This thread was about the changes to bus routes and in particular for those in ED the No.40, which is what this thread needs to return to.

Posted by Bic Basher April 14, 03:01PM

The only winners of the move from the 40 is Uber at the like as passengers end up spending over 10 per way to go to Guys Hospital instead of the stress of changing buses at the Elephant.

I went to Soho last weekend to see my friend's comedy show which ended up with drinks until after 1am. Now, I could have got the 176 home, but my friend insisted I got an Uber home. It cost 25.50 home with the spike in charges, but I was home by 1.25 and the driver did 30mph on TfL managed streets.

Posted by cella April 14, 11:40PM

dbboy Wrote:
> Cella - Khan doesn't care about the impact or
> consequences, he signs off the TfL recommendations
> given to him as it makes no difference to how he
> operates.
>
You have no evidence again and you are incorrect in what you say. Disliking the Mayor for whatever reason is one thing - merely repeating things proves nothing.

Posted by rollflick April 15, 09:36PM

With bus travel declining in Southwark by 12%, the biggest drop across all of London, and the government cutting all subsidy, TfL clearly had to do something. On part of route 40, there were double the numbers of buses travelling than needed for passenger demand, meanwhile on the RV1 route in Bankside every journey was being subsidised by 3.20. Of course people had strong feelings but simply telling TfL to protect a bus service won't solve the financial pressures it faces.

Other boroughs like Camden and Hackney are implementing radical measures to prioritise buses, like on Tottenham Court Road, London Fields and Wells Street. By tackling bus delays, operating costs can be reduced and passenger numbers increased, making their services viable for the future. Sadly local politicians over here have done little more than just pose for photos at protests.

By the way 20mph actually helps buses by making their journey times more competitive compared to their biggest competitors, private cars, Ubers etc., that don't have to stop often. It also reduces collisions, which according to TfL are the biggest cause of disruptive congestion that plays havoc with timetables.

Posted by Bic Basher April 16, 01:06PM

rollflick Wrote:

> By the way 20mph actually helps buses by making
> their journey times more competitive compared to
> their biggest competitors, private cars, Ubers
> etc., that don't have to stop often. It also
> reduces collisions, which according to TfL are the
> biggest cause of disruptive congestion that plays
> havoc with timetables.

I can't see how the reduction in speed is making buses more "competitive" when journey times are much longer than before. There's no reason to travel on a bus into Zone 1 during the day when the bus takes much longer to travel to Charing Cross for example than to travel via rail instead.

Holding up buses to regulate the service just adds frustration to passengers who already have to leave earlier to reach destinations.

All it does is alienate those who most require buses, the poorest in society and those with disabilities who can't access rail services.

There may be other factors to why bus journeys are down 12% in the borough. Passengers can travel on London Overground off-peak for the same price as a single bus journey for example between Denmark Hill and Rotherhithe, a journey which would otherwise require a bus change in Peckham with a longer journey time.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum