Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/
xxxx
www.wickhamsecurity.co.uk

https://www.veeve.com/london/become-a-host

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
messageRe: TfL plan to reroute Bus 40 away from London Bridge
Posted by jrpfinch 10 November, 2018 13:41

Interesting times for buses.

I've pretty much given up using buses because they take too long and are very crowded at the times I want to use them. I'm sure they're slower than they used to be, probably because of Uber, Amazon Prime and population/economic growth.

I now have a belt-drive bike which is very little maintenance and I'm sure e-scooters are going take off in the next couple of years.

This essentially leaves buses for the elderly, disabled, ill, parents with small children and drinkers.

Posted by Sue 10 November, 2018 15:05

jrpfinch Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> This essentially leaves buses for the elderly,
> disabled, ill, parents with small children and
> drinkers.

And people who aren't in a hurry who would rather have a pleasant journey where they can get a seat and look out of the window.

And don't have to worry about traffic, other people's appalling driving and finding somewhere to park.

Posted by 006andahalf 14 November, 2018 16:42

jamesmcash Wrote:
> Hi all
>
> The Southwark Labour Group, which comprises the 49
> Labour Councillors in Southwark, opposes these
> cuts to bus services, including the rerouting of
> the 40. The Council has submitted a consultation
> response to this effect.
>
> This will be discussed at the next Council
> Assembly and I will be asking the Southwark
> Cabinet member about what we are doing locally on
> this issue, in particular with regard to the
> number 40.
>
> Best wishes
> James

Posted by ed26 April 12, 12:01PM

The consultation response has been published and is here: [consultations.tfl.gov.uk]

It's over 200 pages and includes very detailed summaries of the responses (e.g. 76% of respondents think the shortening of the 40 bus route will have a negative impact on their journeys - page 95-ish) and dozens of pages of council and politician opposition to the proposals. But then it goes on to say that 29 or the original 33 proposals are going ahead, including the shortening of the 40 bus route. Nice of TfL to listen.

Posted by El Presidente April 12, 12:04PM

it's official, the 40 bus route to London Bridge and the City is being killed off from 15 June this year.

As this thread shows, a big blow to many in ED. Our local councillors have failed to protect this vital service despite massive local opposition. Too slow off the mark if you ask me.

[consultations.tfl.gov.uk]

Posted by singalto April 12, 12:16PM

So few people bothered to fill in the consultation so it was obviously going to go ahead. Just over 7100 in the whole of London did the survey and of those just over 1400 commented on the 40. The 171 will now terminate at the Elephant.

Posted by PSJ April 12, 12:29PM

Devastated. I loved that 40 route. Transport to/from E.D. isn't great, but the 40 was one of the highlights.

Everything gets ruined.

sad smiley

I guess I can send my complaints to another_token_consultation@tfl.gov.uk

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 12, 12:31pm by PSJ.

Posted by philosophie April 12, 12:29PM

Are they killing off the 40 entirely or rerouting - and will it still go through East Dulwich? I'm wading through the info and getting a bit lost!

Posted by Gloves April 12, 12:32PM

The 40 is my way into the City when I don't cycle!
Boo.
I am not sure I can be bothered changing at the Nellie!

Posted by ed26 April 12, 12:42PM

@philosphie - 40 will go Dulwich Library to Elephant & Castle as usual, but then follow the 63 route as far as Farringdon. From June, I think.

Posted by se22cat April 12, 02:25PM

I hope Duke Nukem lines up all the retards at TFL responsible for this and sticks his lit stogie firmly where the sun don't shine to each and every one of the bastards!!!

Posted by Bic Basher April 12, 02:30PM

TfL have saved routes like the 19, which had a huge campaign to save one of the few cross London bus routes left.

The reasoning behind the 40 decision is that there is sufficient capacity to change at the Elephant for the 35 or the 133 to London Bridge.

As for the re-routing of the 40 to Clerkenwell Green, the only benefit will be when the Elizabeth line opens at Farringdon, until then, it's wasteful duplication already provided by the 63 at Peckham Rye.

Posted by DulwichBorn&Bred April 12, 02:50PM

Gutted! Itís the bus I take to attend my many hospital appointments as the bus stop is near my house.

Posted by Zebedee Tring April 12, 04:59PM

se22cat, your use of the word "retards" is offensive. I can understand why you are unhappy with the decision regarding the 40 bus and personally I would prefer that its route remained the same. But your attack on the TfL staff is OTT.

Posted by ed26 April 12, 05:27PM

@Zebedee - would you prefer f*cktards or just tards?

Posted by Zebedee Tring April 12, 05:30PM

I would prefer a less offensive insult, preferably something that displays a bit of wit and originality.

Posted by TheArtfulDogger April 12, 05:35PM

Ed I think zebedee means something like Bus'tards 😂

Posted by se22cat April 12, 06:53PM

Artful smashed it smiling smiley

OTT, moi?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by dbboy April 12, 09:41PM

I agree that the changes to bus services effect the less well off and once implemented they are highly unlikely to ever be reversed. Thank some suit in TfL for that plus the bus companies that have to do as they are told by TfL. TfL ultimately run and control the bus network. The companies are are purely contracted operators.

Khan is a politician who simply follows the recommendation's he is given by TfL and duly signs them off. He ultimately does what is best for him (what is best for business, that being Khan himself). If you want to change things, in 2020 when he will be up for re-election, select a different candidate.

While it is not possible to disrespect him for maintaining bus and tram fares at £1.50 per journey and the daily cap which saves Londoner's a shed load of money day in and day out each year, that, and the Elizabeth Line have left TfL with a major deficit. I suspect the new mayor when elected may well have to increase all fares across the entire transport network and withdraw the daily cap in an attempt to balance the books, but that will not be Khan's concern any more.

When Khan goes, like Boris, he will not bother as he already has his eye on a much greater prize, plus he and Corbyn basically detest each other, so in a nut shell if you want change that can only come through the ballot box.

Posted by cella April 12, 09:56PM

How is changing a bus route to The Mayors personal gain? Please explain.

Posted by dbboy April 13, 12:14AM

He validates the recommendation given to him by TfL through signing it off, he doesn't care what it says ,all he cares about is himself, he's a politician, that's what they do. It's us who will have to sort out the TfL deficit through eventually having to pay much higher fares when Khan is no longer Mayor. He sure as hell will not do it on his own watch. It would be political suicide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 13, 12:16am by dbboy.

Posted by Zebedee Tring April 13, 07:39AM

It's very easy to blame Khan for TfL's financial situation. But in doing so you're letting off the Coalition and Tory governments who over the last nine years have imposed massive cuts on local government as well as the rest of public expenditure.

Posted by dbboy April 13, 10:54AM

Well he is the person responsible for TfL, unless you know different, so the buck sits with him. All you're doing is trying to make it political.

TfL is a business, it needs to be run as such. In the commercial world it would have been killed off years ago. What's more, London does NOT need a Major. It's a made up job that Khan has and that we pay for.

Posted by Zebedee Tring April 13, 11:15AM

But it is political and if you can't see that you're being naive. How can it not be when Boris J as London Mayor was allowed to incorporate certain National Rail lines into the Overground but when Khan wanted to take similar action Failing Grayling refused permission because, heaven forfend, unlike Boris he was from a different party?

Posted by dbboy April 13, 12:39PM

Actually I was trying to keep politics out of this which you clearly are unable to do so. I have so far stated facts. Perhaps you need to rethink your approach to this as it ain't working, ya get me!!!!

Posted by Zebedee Tring April 13, 02:13PM

dbboy, in your first post you made the statement "When Khan goes, like Boris, he will not bother as he already has his eye on a much greater prize, plus he and Corbyn basically detest each other, so in a nutshell if you want change that can only come through the ballot box". In later posts you have made a number of political statements. It is therefore a bit rich for you subsequently to say that you were trying to keep politics out of this when you have expressed a number of opinions which are clearly political.

When you state that TfL is a business, it is not a commercial company making baked beans or widgets. It is an organisation running an important public service, namely public transport. In this country it has been the political decision of governments for the whole of my lifetime not to fund public transport adequately from the centre, with the result that we have probably the highest bus and train fares in Europe and indeed most of the rest of the world. This is the situation that anyone running TfL faces.

And what's with "ya get me"? Are you trying to get down wiv da kidz?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was april 13, 02:16pm by Zebedee Tring.

Posted by Bic Basher April 13, 05:16PM

Transport is as much a political matter for London as the NHS is nationally. We've had two Mayors who have had bus vanity projects, Ken with his bendy buses and Boris with his New Routemaster, both of which have been revenue loss makers thanks to fare evasion.

London's bus network isn't revenue earning, it has huge subsidies to keep the network operating, regardless if Khan or another Tory Mayor gets in. All TfL travel modes except the Tube receive some form of subsidy as the tube is the only one making some form of money.

TfL also subsidise passengers as well, not just from cheap fares compared to the rest of the UK, but with free bus travel for under 19s, reduced bus fares for people on benefits (Universal Credit, ESA, Income Support), as well as the Over 60's pass (Freedom Pass is paid for by Southwark). This is in addition to the fares freeze.

Posted by pebs April 13, 08:57PM

Poor shout from our local counsellors methinks. James Barber would have been all over this.

Posted by cella April 13, 09:45PM

dbboy Wrote:
> He validates the recommendation given to him by
> TfL through signing it off, he doesn't care what
> it says ,all he cares about is himself, he's a
> politician, that's what they do. It's us who will
> have to sort out the TfL deficit through
> eventually having to pay much higher fares when
> Khan is no longer Mayor. He sure as hell will not
> do it on his own watch. It would be political
> suicide.

Your original post said that he only did what was best for him and what was best for him personally. You have not provided an answer to my question nor any evidence to support your claim.

Posted by dbboy April 13, 09:56PM

zebeddee tring -

1) actually I have made factual statements, and looking back on what I've written I don't consider any of them to be Political. First up, I'd say this if the Mayor was red, blue, yellow or from any other political party. For me this is NOT about politics, it's about stopping an ever increasing deficit and bringing much needed change to turn things around.

2)Agreed TfL don't make widgets, that's right, what they do is transport people around London, and if you actually bothered to read what I wrote, I said "TfL ultimately run and control the bus network. The companies are are purely contracted operators."

I agree with you that "we have probably the highest bus and train fares in Europe and indeed most of the rest of the world. This is the situation that anyone running TfL faces." In the real commercial world a business with such a huge deficit, which they are unable to control and repeat year on year wouldn't survive. It needs to change and change soon. What that means is reduce the deficit and turn the organisation around so it actually makes a profit which is then re-invested into the travel network.

No, it wasn't about getting down with da kidz, it was about getting your attention, and you know what, it worked!!

Bic Basher, Points 1,2 and 3 agreed. TfL are in control of the contracted out bus and tram service's provided for them. These companies do it to make a profit. Mark my words, whoever and I don't really care who it is, the new Mayor is in 2020 will need to reverse Khan's £1.50 a journey fare, repeal the day fare cap and increase fares even further all around, just like Boris did when he was in office, and it's an office we don't need, much the same that Mayor's of London Boroughs are not needed and are a waste of time, effort and money.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum