Concerned about crime in Goose Green ward?

bels123

There seem to have been several threads on here lately regarding crime so I thought it a good idea to share some details about our local policing team.

Our Goose Green ward has 3 police officers assigned to it, forming the 'Safer Neighbourhood Team'. They have weekly drop-in sessions (advertised on Twitter @MPSGooseGreen) but also hold quarterly panel meetings - intended to be an open discussion on concerns raised by the community. I've personally found it to be a great opportunity to hear and better understand the challenges they face and how we, as a community, can best support them.

The next panel meeting is at 7pm Wednesday 10th October at the Dulwich Constitutional Club, 33 East Dulwich Grove SE22 8PW. Hope to see you there!

It's good to see that these local police community meetings are being launched in a convenient East Dulwich location. With all the concerns about burglaries and moped crimes in the area, I hope that residents will attend tonight to meet the new team and voice their concerns to the local police.

In the past, I've heard senior police officers say that no one ever complains or reports crime in East Dulwich, so they assume that nothing is happening down here... whereas residents say there's no point as the police don't listen.

So I really hope that residents begin to attend these community meetings and speak out in person!

Thanks to all who attended last night's neighbourhood panel meeting for Goose Green ward. It was great to hear everything our local neighbourhood policing team have been doing in recent months, as well as being an opportunity for locals to raise their concerns. Please see below update from the team:

-PC Fodor has identified three separate burglary suspects, two have been arrested and charged with one sentenced to six months imprisonment

-We have arrested and interviewed a male for pwits (possession with intent to supply controlled drugs)

-Working with us, L&Q housing association have secured a court eviction order for a problem address on the ward where the above male resides

-A prolific beggar on Lordship Lane has been issued a CPN (community protection notice) which he has subsequently breached. In the process of being summonsed to court.

-We have held thirteen contact points across Goose Green to engage with the community

-Held one engagement event on Goose Green with a Police dog and traffic motorbike unit. Approx 150 people turning up through the morning.

-PCSO Kent has done some fantastic work linking up business?s on Lordship Lane and in the process of setting up a business watch / whatsapp group.

-?Op Sceptre? regular weapons sweeps and targeted patrol to help keep this type of crime on Goose Green low.

-Visiting all victims of burglary and their neighbours to offer target hardening advice.

-Patrols across the Goose Green ward every shift.

At the meeting we agreed the following ward panel priorities

1.Residential burglary prevention

2.Motor vehicle crime prevention

3.Raising awareness of the Goose Green ward panel and police neighbourhoods team

I'll post again when the next meeting date is confirmed. In the meantime if you use Twitter, please follow @MPSGooseGreen for regular updates.

Thanks

singalto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was at the meeting and bike thefts were

> discussed. It seems some don?t report these

> incidents so the police have no idea how often

> these things happen.

And the muggings by people on mopeds?

Yes from what I see on local social media I think there could be an issue of crimes not being reported, people for whatever reason not wanting to use 101, or hesitant to use 999. Hopefully with more local neighbourhood policing, (like the event on Goose Green in August),the coffee morning drop-ins and these quarterly panel meetings it will help promote how best to report crime.

If you're on Twitter please follow @MPSGooseGreen. They'll be holding weapons sweeps locally soon and would love to get the community involved. Reassuringly nothing has been on previous ones!

And just to clarify...the boundary for the new Goose Green ward can be found on this link (also has crime stat for the area) https://www.met.police.uk/a/your-area/met/southwark/goose-green/

Sue Wrote:

------------------------------------------------------

> And the muggings by people on mopeds?

Don't think this was mentioned Sue, but I got the impression the Police would welcome challenge if you feel this is something that should be prioritised by the Goose Green neighbourhood team. From the meeting they explained their role as a neighbourhood team is long term problem solving/getting to underlying issues, patrolling and providing police visibility - although you can see from the list above it's much broader than this.

Hopefully you can make the next meeting when we finalise the date. The more we can get members from the community attending these meetings the better.

Edited to add: the Goose Green neighbourhood team consist of two Police Officers and one PCSO.

• 1 month later...

Cuppa with a Copper

Today 10am-11am, Dulwich leisure centre as advertised on the Metropolitan Police webpage regarding Goose Green Safer Neighbourhood Team

Does anyone know something about these meetings/events? Do they ever take place?

I was there since 10am and nobody at the leisure centre seems to know about it...

Many thanks

There is one actually scheduled as on now until 2pm.

"Cuppa with a Copper

An opportunity to have a Cuppa with your local Cops

1:00PM - 2:00PM, Sat 01 December 2018

Dulwich Leisure Centre, 2B Crystal Palace Road SE22 9HB"

https://www.met.police.uk/a/your-area/met/southwark/goose-green/?introducingyoursaferneighbourhoodsteam=meetingandevents

Other sessions currently listed for this month at DLC are:

12:00PM - 1:00PM, Sat 08 December 2018

10:00AM - 11:00AM, Fri 14 December 2018

12:00PM - 1:00PM, Fri 21 December 2018

• 5 months later...

I was pleased to hear that the local Goose Green Safer Neighbourhood Team (SNT) are going to start holding regular community meetings again.

The initial meeting is being held tomorrow night in the conservatory of the East Dulwich Picturehouse (116 Lordship Lane) from 7pm to 8.30pm. It was set up fairly quickly and hasn't been that well publicised, but this will get better.

They are also starting to do the Cuppa with a Copper open contact sessions again, this time at the new East Dulwich Library (which has meeting room if people want to speak privately). Again, the notice for these sessions are quite short, usually given by Tweeting.

Our team is short of a PCSO at the moment, which is why all the meetings and sessions are quite last minute, as our two PCs can't fix their schedules too far in advance.

But, hopefully, residents can attend in an attempt to communicate some of the problems in their neighbourhoods, bit by bit, as we have a really pro-active team now (albeit time-restricted).

Just to remind everyone that there is an open meeting with the local Goose Green police team and the community tonight in the conservatory of the East Dulwich Picturehouse beginning at 7pm.

If you're interested but unable to attend, maybe we could flag concerns here on the forum?