Consultation re speed reducation proposals in Barry Rd.

Pugwash

There is a drop in session today 5.30 - 7.30 pm at Dulwich Library to meet planners/architects etc. Only found out this afternoon as a letter was sent to Christ Church Barry Road re this. I have not met anyone who has received this letter in Barry Road. Essential that those concerned try and get to this session

alice Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> According to person at drop in everyone was sent a

> letter in Barry rd

Well maybe, but the post hasn't exactly been reliable lately, has it?!

The "engagement" guy from Southwark wasn't aware that there was a problem with post in the area .

I didn't get a letter but had bumped into a neighbour much further down who had .

The planners who attended weren't aware that in the past speed cushions had been intalled and had to be removed because of difficulties they caused to buses .

Apparently there has been no discussion with TFL about the proposals because " it's a Southwark road and we don't need to " .

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The lack of local knowledge demonstrated by the

> individuals in attendance made me realise how very

> important it is to go along to such events .

Isn't the whole point of local government with local councillors in wards etc. to provide that local knowledge? Otherwise what is the point?

It might be Charles ,I'm not sure at what point local councillors would feed that info into the process ?

It seemed to me that insufficient local knowledge had informed the preperation of the proposals .

The planner I spoke to was unaware that the junction of Underhill and Barry Rd had seen several accidents and ( even if statistics show that it is not a junction with a high rate of incidents ) was the subject of concern for locals .

And one of the local councillors who attended ( kudos ) was unaware that the boundary of the CPZ area to be consulted on ( I know not the subject of the meeting ) runs down the middle of Barry Rd .

I would also add a plea for a better presentation of proposals at future or similar meetings .

I greatly welcomed the maps being placed loose on tables as personally I find ( I'm short ) craning my neck and trying to get my varifocals positioned correctly v difficult when documentation is pinned up on display boards .

But I would have welcomed the info being presented in a clearer format to that available on line . So ,not a document divided into 4 squares with 4 different portions of Barry Rd but one diagram showing the entire length of the road in linear form .

Maps with road names on and in a larger scale .Maps with titles so one has a clue to what they were depicting .

It may be that if I had received the letter about the meeting I would have had the opportunity to familarise myself with the documentation before attending .But I didn't get a letter and I don't know it's content .

Sorry to be so negative .

I attended the meeting and spoke with one of the planners. He is coming to the BARA Committee Meeting next week and seemed keen on the idea proposed by BARA that a further public meeting was necessary in view of the poor communication received by residents. Will keep you posted.

The councillors present advised that the CPZ proposals are going to be a separate consultation.

Re my previous message.

BARA met with the planners as stated above. Southwark are against having another public consultation as most people have replied to the on line survey. (around 70 at the last count). They are insistent that all residents in Barry Road were sent a letter addressed to The Occupier - by post, but agreed that many receiving such a mail would not open it thinking that it was a marketing letter. Closing date for all comments etc is 14th October.

The scheme is linked to the Southwark Spine proposals for Landells/Goodrich/Crystal Palace Roads and the Quietway proposals for the area could also impact . For this reason the finalised scheme will not be known until late 2018/early 2019 and work will not take place until 2019 when finances etc and contracts can be awarded.

The next Community Council Meeting is 31st October - I suggest people raise this with their local Goose Green and Dulwich Hill Councillors and request that this be discussed at this meeting.