Development of strip of woodland close to ED station

• 2 weeks later...

Noted this independently today.

The "amenity land" attached to the estate will go untouched. Good, that.

Today three men, a dump truck, and a branch grinder showed up across Abbotswood Road from our house. One of the blokes ascended into a mature leylandii and began with a chainsaw to swamp it, the fallen branches going through the chipper into the dump truck bed, at the end of an afternoon of work leaving a totem pole and some very dusty automobiles that had been parked near the jobsite.

Whose trees are that row of leylandii? Who commissioned the work? All the trees in the row are equally scraggy -- are they all to come down?

No notices through the door, no information from the tree-surgeons.

It's happened. Now what?

Also, the land in question or rather the trees upon the land and immediately adjacent to it are subject to a TPO (tree Preservation order).

Neither land owners nor neighbours with overhanging branches are exempt and the penalties are very high (I heard ?1000s per tree!) Permission must be sought from the council and approved unless dead branches are an urgent and dangerous issue and even then the burden of proof is on the surgeon that this is/was the case.

Not sure if those leylandii are included in the TPO though.

They've already started hacking some trees down, covering my car in about 4 tonnes of sticky sawdust. I complained to Southwark council as there was no warning about the work being carried out and I was informed that it was nothing to do with them, so I wouldn't have thought a TPO will hinder any work

TPOs can be over-ruled when/ if any tree is deemed to be unsafe through disease or damage. The recent hot weather and ensuing drought has damaged shallow rooted trees, such as birches. I believe that the council is meant to confirm an over-ruled TPO however. Just because trees are on non-public land the Council still has an interest. However, the actual removal work undertaken on non public land would not be the responsibility of the council in terms of any damage (to cars etc.) done by that work. Southark would not have to (or even be able to) give any notice of work not being carried out by them not on public land. That doesn't mean any existing TPO can be over ruled without their consent. However that would probably need to be taken up with a different bit of the council apparat.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

See below. Go and take a look probably the answer. I'd be interested to know. There were suggestions to re-open it to give pedestrian access to the new school. What was said at the time was that the school didn't want it in use for security reasons. The council closed lots of rights of way at the time the housing estate was developed. Much regretted now but too late.

EAST DULWICH,SE22 - THE "SECRET" HOSPITAL TUNNEL

Disused tunnel under railway line connecting Dulwich Hospital (originally St Saviour?s Union Infirmary) with St Francis Hospital (originally the Constance Road Workhouse of the Camberwell Union) The Dulwich Hospital Tunnel 2019

This disused tunnel under the railway line once connected Dulwich Hospital with St Francis Hospital. This saved time going by road, the stretchers on wheels had large pneumatic tyres to cushion to ride on the uneven pathway. Dulwich Hospital (originally St Saviour?s Union Infirmary) still exists (and in use as a hospital) but St Francis Hospital (originally the Constance Road Workhouse of the Camberwell Union) was demolished in 1993 and a housing estate now exists on the site -this is the estate that you see next to Dulwich Hamlet FC.

You can still find the entance of the tunnel from the back of Dulwich Hospital & even walk through the tunnel and up the slope the other end but then you reach a garden fence.