Road traffic Noise

Hello,

Just recently moved to East Dulwich Road, 3 months ago, and we are finding very difficult to get used to the traffic noise, which is very loud and constant. It seems like drives do not keep on / under the 20mph speed limit. We have double glazed windows but still. In the evenings noise varies from 50db to 70db - not including police and ambulances sirenes.

Has this subject been raised before? Has anyone found a solution?

Really appreciate of any advice.

Many thanks, C

Unfortunately some roads are quite busy in East Dulwich. I have two buses regularly coming past me on Underhill and am quite close to Lordship Lane. I moved from an exceptionally quiet road in SE15 and it was a surprise, although luckily I sleep at the back of the house. You do get used to it - Can you get nice thick curtains for the front of the house? They can help. If you have a front garden you could think about a hedge or trees as planting them can not only help reduce noise pollution but air pollution as well! You'll need to check which are best though.

Like they say - you'll get used to it, it's just part of city living isn't it? The more you focus on it through the longer it'll take.

Similar to IlonaM we're on an night bus route. I can't sleep places where it's silent at night these days.

It's the very loud motor bikes that really get me, they love speeding up/down Grove Lane I wish instead of a speed camera they could install a 'noise level' thing to stop people over revving their engines for no reason, and be able to talk to people at the same time!

I understand emergency service noise but they tend to turn the sirens just to get past traffic lights, but are not attending an emergency, just to get through, wander if that's not breaking the rules, if so be better if they didn't, but they do need to get places!

betternowthanthen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's the very loud motor bikes that really get me,

> they love speeding up/down Grove Lane I wish

> instead of a speed camera they could install a

> 'noise level' thing to stop people over revving

> their engines for no reason, and be able to talk

> to people at the same time!

>

> I understand emergency service noise but they tend

> to turn the sirens just to get past traffic

> lights, but are not attending an emergency, just

> to get through, wander if that's not breaking the

> rules, if so be better if they didn't, but they do

> need to get places!

You get used to it though I wouldn't recommend some roads to families with young children

Some types of motorbikes make a lot of noise when accelerating and I'm by traffic lights - not sure why. Last night some girls were singing at 3:30 AM too - what was that for :)

betternowthanthen Wrote:

> I understand emergency service noise but they tend

> to turn the sirens just to get past traffic

> lights, but are not attending an emergency, just

> to get through, wander if that's not breaking the

> rules, if so be better if they didn't, but they do

> need to get places!

Think you're under a misapprehension there - emergency vehicles are only allowed to use blues and twos in an emergency. They will turn them off if they're not needed, so you might see an ambulance on a clear road come up to lights then turn their lights and sirens on and it looks as if they're just running the lights but they might well, for example, have a patient in the back who can't be transported over a certain speed but still needs to get to hospital quickly. When that happens they're actually lowering noise pollution by only using the siren when necessary.

Having said that I did know a retired copper who, whenever he saw a police car with the B&T on, would comment, "Late for his tea!", but I'm pretty sure, especially with the advent of in-car video and trackers on emergency vehicles, it's very rarely abused nowadays.

Froglander Wrote:

> What road are you on?

The OP said, East Dulwich Road.

It's a busy road, so I'm not sure why they didn't notice this before deciding to move there?

We lived opposite a pub until just recently, and occasionally the noise was annoying. My daughter moved into the front room so we installed secondary glazing there. Along with the existing double glazing it made the room remarkably quiet. Ideally you want 100mm+ gap between the secondary glazing and the outer double glazed unit (but anything is better than nothing). Quite a big window, cost about ?400 as I recall.

Hi all ,

I guess I didn't expressed myself very well, Our previous property was also on the main road, in fact also a A-road with 24hrs bus and emergency services. The diference was there was quite a few speed bumps and cameras. Plus we work in the city and used to heavy traffic noises.

So my main concern it's really why drivers are speeding on such residential areas, specially motorbikes, and obvs if we will get used to it at night - day time is fine. I am a driver myself and when driving around the area the other weekend got bullied for driving on the speed limit!

thank you for the actual constructive replies. Just wanted to see if anymore people have the same concern and found a easy solution. Anyway , the thick curtain seems to be a good idea for now, we will look into it.

Have a nice week!

No not concerned at all. Its a main road. really, what do some people expect? Little tarquins not being looked after and morons running in front of traffic to catch a bus are a far bigger scourge on society compared with a poor motorist trying to get from A to B. Obviously if someone is driving like a psychopath, then they should be handled accordingly, but "speeding" along at the uber whizzy speed of 22-23mph... god forbid!

And the aircraft noise is way louder and more incessant than road noise.

I too live on East Dulwich Road. I knew it was busy road when I moved in, but even so I was surprised at the speeding that goes on, so I know where you're coming from. Barely anyone sticks to the 20mph limit on the stretch alongside Goose Green, even during the day. At night I've seen/heard people flying past at easily over 50mph - which would be a band C offence if you were caught (6 points and a big fine).

There was a recent thread about speeding on Barry Road where I raised this, but nothing came of it. The residents of Barry Road did manage to get some kind of consultation started though, so there might be hope if the residents around Goose Green pushed the local councillors. Personally I think the speed limit signage on EDR is lacking, and a quick win would be to just put a few extra 20mph signs up.

I used to live on East Dulwich road for many years and agree that most people go above 20 mph unless there is traffic.

Its just weird how normal people behave when in a car. You are driving in London so you are just speeding to the next set of lights! It will make minimal difference to the time you arrive at your destination.

Barry Road has had several Road Watches re speeding motorists - I have attended 2 in the last month. Any resident can request this. The Road Watch Team will liaise with you as to the date and time you can be with them. It is best if you have another couple of people with you - you get to use a speed gun, car/vehicle registration details are noted down on a sheet if they exceed 25 mph. The police are with you the whole time.

h3+ Wrote:

> I used to live on East Dulwich road for many years

> and agree that most people go above 20 mph unless

> there is traffic.

>

> Its just weird how normal people behave when in a

> car. You are driving in London so you are just

> speeding to the next set of lights! It will make

> minimal difference to the time you arrive at your

> destination.

How true...there are even fools who will overtake you if you are doing 20 ....and then they get stuck behind a cyclist...cars should have blood pressure monitors fitted imo

on our road we have problems with people overtaking by going onto the wrong side of the road, often at great speed. Happened again last night. We have bollards/crossing points all the way down the road, speed bumps etc but it doesn't stop people. Is there anything I can do? It is really dangerous and frightening as a driver when people are so unpredictable/drive so selfishly.