Bassano Street Garage Redevelopment

geh

It looks like Southwark are already working on the project so it will probably go ahead. Somebody else on the forum has put up a post about garages on Henslowe Road recently being earmarked too. A good thing for new social housing to be built but if Lendlease are anything to do with it then that's why it's probably going to be 50% available at social housing rent.

It?s worth finding out, if you can, if the developer has a clause which allows them to sell/rent at ?market value? if the project goes on too long.

The development behind the flats on Wood Vale got shafted exactly like this; the builders had the right to jack the selling price up if construction went on too long in order to ?recoup their costs? (I kid you not). Can you guess what happened...?

Too often developers promise social housing and then find a way to weasel out of it.

I get the impression that by "local" they mean very immediate area and the rest will go to Southwark residents - that's what the Housing Plan says anyway.

JoeLeg - absolutely, we only need to look at the disgrace of the Heygate development to see how developers (aided, abetted and even funded by our own dear council) can get away with murder between planning permission and reality.

JoeLeg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It?s worth finding out, if you can, if the

> developer has a clause which allows them to

> sell/rent at ?market value? if the project goes on

> too long.

>

> The development behind the flats on Wood Vale got

> shafted exactly like this; the builders had the

> right to jack the selling price up if construction

> went on too long in order to ?recoup their costs?

> (I kid you not). Can you guess what happened...?

>

> Too often developers promise social housing and

> then find a way to weasel out of it.

Not sure what you mean JoeLeg as the developer in this case is Southwark Council?

Passiflora Wrote:

> Not sure what you mean JoeLeg as the developer in

> this case is Southwark Council?

I'm very willing to stand corrected but I assume (as SC don't have a massive cohort of workers ready to run up buildings) this will be "in partnership" with a private developer?

Passiflora Wrote:

>

> Not sure what you mean JoeLeg as the developer in

> this case is Southwark Council?

I?m not sure it makes a difference these days. The lure of market value rents is strong, and Southwarks housing dept filled with some of the nastiest specimens you could want to avoid, so no, I?m not sure it will make a difference though I hope I?m wrong.

For clarity I proposed this site along with Henslowe Road garages.

The homes are to be Southwark council homes and by 50% local let they mean people in housing need in the Dulwich are and the reminder for the general Southwark council housing waiting list. Their is no sinister plot here.

I've not yet seen the detailed design but would hope it is in keeping with Create Streets guidelines to maximise how acceptable they could possible be - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjcuPrhzY_eAhXLDMAKHfR7CccQFjAAegQIChAC&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ipsos.com%2Fsites%2Fdefault%2Ffiles%2Fmigrations%2Fen-uk%2Ffiles%2FAssets%2FDocs%2FPolls%2Fhousing-home-types-survey-create-streets-slides.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3fFPZpRKR9qe8lZw08ULawThis leave one plot on Underhill road that the council has yet to bring plans forward for - where the 4 prefab homes were/are.

Hi Yes went to meeting. Im a garage renter and seems waste of time to keep garages as there was no one

from garage department to talk about 14 garages.

Has any body at the council thought of the use of garages in the first place, to make secure parking of vehicles

in Southwark. All I have to say is 14 renters for 4 houses, Well for the meeting you know which way which it will go.I was on the waiting list for two years, when we have to leave will the council treat us the same as council

tenants and offer a garage in the area as we have no home to go to for our vehicle??????????????????

It all seemed rather ill conceived, displace 14 existing southwark tenants for 4 (appreciate homes are important), no idea of overall cost of development, no idea of materials to be used, no opinion on viability.

Massing seems too much in comparison the existing residential vernacular. Also noise from the Church would need to be considered.

As per garages2018 post above, very annoying not to have any representative from garage department, and in fact a lot of queries were answered with "I don't know its not my department'

Indicated planning application poss. in March 2019 which would follow 2 further consultations.

Would add that consultation time ending at 19.00 doesn't really help those traveling home from work, and consultation questionnaire is very limited in terms of responses you are allowed to tick. 'Limited consultation' would be a better description.

There is a shortage of garages and this is anther one to go even if there was a meeting.

Im one of those renters and when I went to meeting it seemed that it was only the residents of the houses around the

site that they wanted to turn up and not the garage renters. We had our say but you know the outcome, as the council member was there and the developers showing planes. BUT no one from the council garage department

Interestingly despite no representative from the garage department being at the consultation and the Southwark representative guaranteed garage tenants would be given a minimum of 6 months notice of demolition.

To follow up your aside, Jimbo, the garages in Henslowe Road, and probably also your former playground, have a big sign "NO BALL GAMES". I think that is really sad, what harm could be done to a row of garages. Who in the Council takes those decisions to prohibit children from engaging in such positive activities?

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> Just as an aside, when I was at St John's and St

> Clement's in the 70's I spent two years at the

> Epiphany Hall and those garages were our

> playground.

Me too, in the early 80?s, but that all stopped after a game of football went wrong and kid got a nail driven (flat end first) about a quarter of an inch into his forehead. That?s when they started sending us back to the main school for playtime!