Cycle lane at the top of Rye Lane

Hello - I saw there were some points about this a few years ago, but didn't seem to end up with anything definitive.

I think that the cycle lane/path from the library down Rye Lane (ending at the crossroads where Primark is) is crazy. It just doesn't look like a cycle path at all - I can't blame pedestrians for walking all over it. I don't even cycle really fast down it, and I appreciate previous posts explaining that it's designed as a shared space and "just go slowly, ring your bell etc etc" but...

1) nearly everyone now is on a phone or has headphones on - I would say pretty much no-one hears me ringing my little bell! I wonder if mobile phone usage and streaming music via a phone has increased so much since when it was designed, that the council didn't predict that in 2018 cyclists simply wouldn't be able to communicate with the vast majority of pedestrians?

2) sometimes people just walk right into it and you don't have a chance to stop or even shout. This happened to me today and I got knocked off my bike. It hurt.

3) the bike signs are almost invisible,

4) and even some cyclists don't realise that it's one way!

I really get it that it's virtually impossible for pedestrians to manage this. Even when I walk up Rye Lane I sometimes find myself wandering into the cycle path...

Does anyone else feel that it could do with a bit more visibility?

Thank you!

The whole thing was incredibly badly managed from start to finish. Whoever was responsible for it's planning, design and signing off on it has no place being employed in any form of public works. It's counter intuitive and very dangerous for both cyclists and pedestrians. I certainly wouldn't even think about cycling on it. The stretch between the traffic lights and the main road is particularly dangerous, with the shops on the corner blaring out music, pedestrians can't hear bikes coming from behind, made worse by all the red light jumpers and it's just a bloody mess really.

This concept of cyclists and pedestrians sharing a space is a crazy idea in my opinion, half the time it hasn't been properly thought through.There is something similar at South Bermondsey station.Just at a certain point where the footpath needs to be at widest it is at its narrowest. I saw the aftermath of a collision between a pedestrian and a cyclist the other day.I don't know who was at fault - maybe the cyclist was going so fast he couldn't stop, maybe the pedestrian wasn't expecting to there to be cyclists.

FJDGoose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This concept of cyclists and pedestrians sharing a

> space is a crazy idea in my opinion, half the time

> it hasn't been properly thought through.There is

> something similar at South Bermondsey station.Just

> at a certain point where the footpath needs to be

> at widest it is at its narrowest. I saw the

> aftermath of a collision between a pedestrian and

> a cyclist the other day.I don't know who was at

> fault - maybe the cyclist was going so fast he

> couldn't stop, maybe the pedestrian wasn't

> expecting to there to be cyclists.

Some cyclists do go too fast through that section, but 50% of people leaving the station have eyes glued to their 'phones and earphones in as they walk straight into a clearly marked shared path without checking...

I've been trying to resist saying I told you so but I'm caving in .

There was a "consultation" about this cycleway which didn't seem v well publicsed as it seemed to mainly involve asking local shop keepers .Who I don't think had a cyclists viewpoint ,or indeed that of a pedestrian shopper .

I did respond to it outlining my concerns ,one of which was that my elderly mother with restricted sight would injure herself and a cyclist .

I did post on here about it with little interest shown .I was told that Southwark Cyclists had been consulted and were fully supportive of the scheme .

Well done OP for riding sensibly, owning a bell (an essential but oddly minority accessory), and avoiding being knocked under a passing 171. Bad luck on the unscheduled run-in with the pavement. Don?t let it put you off two wheels, although stay wary of this daft section of cycle route x

Sorry to hear you have had an accident Lucymarianne. I hope you are recovering well and that this won?t put you off from cycling.

I have been avoiding cycling on Rye Lane on my way into work in the morning, going via Adys, Nutbrook, Maxted and Bellenden instead. However, on the way back I have found it more convenient taking Rye Lane coming from Surrey canal path. The situation is getting worse and worse though and surely the shared path as it currently stands is not safe for either pedestrians or cyclists. Combined with the temporary traffic lights further down Rye Lane and the amount of buses and cars using that road, Rye Lane should reaaly be avoided on a bike. I hope there is something that can be done about this. Perhaps Southward Cyclists could help?

Sorry you got hurt LM. I have had a similar experience on that stretch!

It is a poor design, and would be improved greatly just by painting it bright blue.

It's refreshing that this thread has not (yet) turned into an argument between cyclists and pedestrians.

@Peckhamryu - I thought it was mandatory that bicycles were sold with bells now?

DuncanW Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> @Peckhamryu - I thought it was mandatory that

> bicycles were sold with bells now?

It is, but there's nothing to stop one removing it at once, it's not a legal requirement for riding. Personally I think that in traffic-heavy environments the voice is more effective, it's actually possible to shout politely if you try!