Crawford Youth Club door to door sponsorship?

alyson_s

We've had two doorstep visits from teenage boys in recent weeks, asking for sponsorship for the Crawford Youth Club. One was mid afternoon last week, and the other was around 8pm tonight. We live on Abbotswood Rd.

We don't keep cash in the house, and told them so (and to be honest wouldn't just dish it out on the doorstep...), which meant they didn't fully get into their spiel so I don't have any more info about what the money was for or even what they were being sponsored to do! They were pretty polite and went on their way. However I've just googled the Crawford Youth Club - apparently it was a registered charity but ceased to exist in 1999?!

Just wanted to see if anyone can shed any light on it...? Don't want to report to police if it turns out they are somehow legit. Also I couldn't really give police any more information than I've already done here, so doesn't seem much point.

Would be good to get others' take, maybe someone has questioned them more closely than I did?

I lived on Abbotswood Road too. Moved out at the weekend and had the lads come to my door last week. They seemed very polite and little nervous about asking, so I thought it might've been genuine. They said that Southwark council are helping with the fundraising this year, so might be worth checking with them before calling the police?

No one should solicit at people?s front doors. Use GoFundMe and other methods. I had these young people ring my bell on Upland after dark. Why would I give to people I don?t know and a cause I?ve never heard of. Why would Southwark think this appropriate? I?d be very surprised that they do.