Food Poisoning in East Dulwich?

Hello there,

On Tuesday 6th November I ate out in an establishment on New Cross Road, and later that day was violently ill (actually resulting in the paramedics taking me to hospital). I had severe food poisoning, and whilst the person I ate out with also felt slightly nauseous that day, they were not sick (so we thought maybe sympathy pains at watching me!).

This afternoon I ate out again in an establishment on Lordship Lane, this time with my boyfriend, and now both of us are ill with food poisoning, not as severe for me this time, but it's definitely food poisoning for both of us.

Each time it's been different food types on different days and different places, only link is being around East Dulwich area. Has anyone else had food poisoning in the last week and eaten in this area? Wondering if there's something linking it, or just two coincidental occurrences.

Many thanks

Laura

Hi Ludinthemist, I assume you mean North Cross Rd? Your illness sounds really terrible - hope you?re feeling better. It?s really hard to be sure with food poisoning what actually caused it - people tend to assume it?s something they ate that day but depending on the type of bug it can take quite a bit longer for you to become ill. If you went to hospital then presumably they tested you and determined what bug you had. If I had been that ill and had confirmation of the type of bug I would report it to environmental health so they can investigate the cafe/restaurant in question. They would be looking for a pattern if they have had other reports of illness with a common connection. Sometimes people think they have food poisoning when it?s actually something transmitted in another way - norovirus for example which is dreadful. Most people get better on their own at home so don?t usually get confirmation of what bug or virus it is so what people think is food poisoning sometimes isn?t really food poisoning. I hope your luck improves!

Just checking what makes you so sure it was food poisoning both times (very, very unlucky)?

Food poisoning and stomach bug are commonly confused and, as far as I'm aware, tested via a sample.

Norovirus is doing the rounds again.....very contagious and comes on very similarly to food poisoning.

Hi all,

Ah yes I meant North Cross Road sorry!

Thanks so much for your responses - it was definitely food poisoning according to the hospital and I've reported it accordingly and to the establishments :) In posting here I was more interested if lots of other people were also ill but it hadn't been reported incase there was a wider issue at hand, and to encourage others to report it!

It sounds like you?ve either been very unlucky, or the bug you got in the first place hadn?t entirely gone away. Either is awful for you.

I hope you get better soon, and thank you for reporting it and getting properly tested; more people need to do this if they suspect food poisoning.

Either way, I doubt something nasty is making its way around Easy Dulwich, and I hope it won?t put you off the local area.

Get well soon!

Oyster poisoning can be complex - it can come either from an oyster which has turned (which is why you should only eat a freshly opened oyster which should be alive when you swallow it), an oyster which has not been properly left to clean itself in fresh water of a biological contaminant (through e.g. sewage) or through an allergic reaction to the oyster itself, and this can be triggered by a past exposure to either of the first two. Sensitivity to shellfish (oysters, clams etc.) can lead to 'food poisoning' symptoms when the shellfish itself is absolutely fine.

It could be that the illness didn't go the first time to be honest. I thought I had food poisoning but turns out it was norovirus and I was ill after eating on intermittent occasions at least five times in two weeks. Stick to soup and very bland food- avoid eating out or any food with complex flavours and seasonings.

Ludinthemist - did you report it to Southwark Environmental services as they are the people that can go into these restaurants and places that sell food to inspect and investigate? Just saying as it's not clear from your post?

Then again, if a hospital has confirmed it was food poisoning it must leave you wondering.

Eating re-heated rice can be a cause of food poisoning.