We are trialing a dedicated East Dulwich COVID-19 Area on the forum here - please keep it useful.

Forum Sponsors

www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

www.advancedpainters.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
messageRe: Missing post since sorting office moved to peckham
Posted by ianr 17 June, 2019 14:34

My Private Eye (expected Wed.12/6) hasn't arrived yet. That's the second instance this year. When I mentioned it to my postie he said that he'd not seen any PEs at all recently. So, before I contact PE subs again: Has any other subscriber received theirs, or not?

Posted by JohnL 17 June, 2019 15:31

My "signed for" letter fitted through the letterbox and I wasn't in so they just pushed it through.

Small thing I know but the sender probably gets a fake signature (or none at all ?)

Posted by Penguin68 17 June, 2019 15:35

Has any other subscriber received theirs, or not?

Yes, arrived on time - and I've not missed any of those. A political weekly is less certain in arriving, sometimes 1-3 days late. But now being delivered sometime, which wasn't true a year ago!

Posted by Bic Basher 17 June, 2019 17:52

Private Eye is published on a Tuesday, on sale in Central London and posted that day as well for Wednesday, when the rest of the stockists get them.

One of my mag subs was two days late last week, but I get Private Eye from the shop on a Weds.

Posted by ianr 18 June, 2019 13:22

Thanks P68. I assume you're in SE15 or SE22. Nothing today either, so I'll get my claim in.

They're not the only things that have gone missing this year. A slghtly larger than A3 flat medium parcel didn't arrive in ?March. I was perhaps lucky to get the replacement three weeks ago. I found it mid-afternoon left on the doorstep, definitely no bell ring. And a 'signed-for' letter was delivered here on Friday, with no attempt to get a signature. I think I can feel a bulk call to RM complaints coming on.

Posted by Penguin68 18 June, 2019 13:24

SE22

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2019:06:18:13:24:50 by Penguin68.

Posted by ianr 18 June, 2019 13:28

Snap, ta.

Posted by ianr 11 July, 2019 14:24

Another sitrep request on Private Eye deliveries in SE22 please. Mine, due yesterday, again hasn't yet arrived. Thankfully the crossword is online, so I can at least be getting on with that.

Posted by Penguin68 11 July, 2019 14:33

Mine arrived yesterday - Underhill

Posted by ianr 11 July, 2019 14:48

Thank you. I'm in the lowlands.

Posted by Bic Basher 14 July, 2019 16:36

A few weeks ago I got someone's Private Eye who lives in Melford Road. Seeing as it was so close, I hand delivered it to them.

Posted by ianr 16 July, 2019 19:49

The Royal Mail complaints page [personal.help.royalmail.com], once you manage to reach it, offers you two "Email Us" options:

1) "Send a message now" -- ie complete a web form. "We aim to reply within 3 working days"
2) "Alternatively, you can contact us at customer.service.team@royalmail.com
We aim to answer emails sent to this address within 10 working days."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2019:07:16:19:51:38 by ianr.

Posted by Sue 27 August, 2019 09:58

I thought deliveries had greatly improved, but a time critical letter which was sent to me First Class last Thursday has still not arrived, GRRRRRRRR.

I'm wondering if it has been misdelivered to somebody else's house and they are away.

Anybody else still having problems??

Posted by johnrich 27 August, 2019 10:42

No post for most of last week melbourne grove area, missing parcels etc , I presume no cover for holiday shifts, anyone know if there's a direct number for Highshore Road? The googleable one is the general enquiries number

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit was 2019:08:27:10:44:39 by johnrich.

Posted by Sue 27 August, 2019 11:27

Well I take it back.

The item just arrived. The stupid sender posted it second class on Friday instead of first class as promised on Thursday.

So on this occasion, not Royal Mail's fault.

Profuse apologies, Royal Mail smiling smiley

Posted by Penguin68 27 August, 2019 14:53

In the last couple of weeks, and possibly for another couple, deliveries have been by odd posties and at odd times because of holiday cover - if it hasn't happened to you yet it probably will. But things are getting delivered, and in the main on days expected, in my experience.

Posted by ianr 27 August, 2019 15:45

I was about to conclude that the latest Private Eye, due last Wednesday, was definitely the fourth to go missing this year, and then it arrived today.

Posted by Bic Basher 31 August, 2019 02:43

It makes you wonder just how many people subscribe to Private Eye in ED for the sorting office to get them lost or delivered days later?

I was going to buy a sub instead of buying from the shop, but I won't bother now.

Posted by rjw37 April 28, 06:41PM

Last year I ordered some cinema vouchers. They never arrived. I had the vendor resend them twice. They still never arrived. I had them delivered to my mothers house. They arrived the next day. I find it hard to believe they simply 'went missing' as the regular boring looking post still arrived as expected. Anything that looks like it's of value and isn't tracked just seems to 'disappear' at this place.

Regardless, since then I've been having all my important stuff sent to my mothers but since lock down that isn't really appropriate. Over the past 3 weeks there are 3 parcels that were supposed to be delivered, none have arrived. one of those was sent by my mother, who also sent identical packages to my two brothers at opposite ends of the country. Guess what? They both received theirs 10 days ago.

Posted by Sue April 28, 06:47PM

rjw37 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Last year I ordered some cinema vouchers. They
> never arrived. I had the vendor resend them twice.
> They still never arrived. I had them delivered to
> my mothers house. They arrived the next day. I
> find it hard to believe they simply 'went missing'
> as the regular boring looking post still arrived
> as expected. Anything that looks like it's of
> value and isn't tracked just seems to 'disappear'
> at this place.
>
> Regardless, since then I've been having all my
> important stuff sent to my mothers but since lock
> down that isn't really appropriate. Over the past
> 3 weeks there are 3 parcels that were supposed to
> be delivered, none have arrived. one of those was
> sent by my mother, who also sent identical
> packages to my two brothers at opposite ends of
> the country. Guess what? They both received theirs
> 10 days ago.

Have you reported all this to Royal Mail?

Because if something is amiss at Peckham, it will keep on being amiss unless people report problems .....

Posted by rjw37 April 28, 07:21PM

I reported the vouchers at the time. As they were replaced by the vendor I didn't bother to follow up because I wasn't left out of pocket and the stolen ones were voided.

I haven't made an official complaint yet as per the 3 latest missing parcels. Considering they're probably stretched at the moment due to Covid-19 I thought i'd give them the benefit of the doubt for a little longer. But if there's nothing by the end of the week i'll definitely be reporting it.

Posted by KidKruger April 28, 08:17PM

rjw wouldn't it be interesting to have three cheap tracking devices posted from three separate locations, all in non-normal packaging (whatever that is !), to your home address - the one not currently receiving 'interesting' parcels ?
You could literally follow where they ended-up and where they were suddenly de-activated or discarded, within a few metres. I think that would tell you a lot about exactly what is going on at that sorting office - because as you say, something is definitely amiss there. Going through the official channels is never going to get anyone there arrested or your packages recovered IMO. Anyway, was just playing scenarios in my mind and this one was most fun/effective.

Posted by Renata Hamvas April 28, 09:41PM

There are staffing issues at Peckham Sorting Office and post is taking far longer than usual (ie a week or more longer). Hopefully your post will turn up eventually!

Posted by singalto April 28, 11:12PM

I read today that they will no longer deliver letters on Saturdays. For some reason, they will continue to deliver Paracelsus, tracked letters and things which are not normal letters, all due to staff shortages. I only receive post once or twice a week anyway so wont notice the difference!

Posted by cactus April 29, 08:19AM

I called the Royal Mail customer service number last week and reported the current issues delivering to SE22.
I've had a couple of weeks with no delivery at all, and it has taken up to 2 weeks for a regular letter to arrive.
Issues beyond their control with sickness/absence plus huge demand as people are shopping online so much more.
But the woman I spoke to was really helpful and said she would make sure the manager at Peckham Rye sorting office was aware of my query.
Possibly coincidence, but a bundle of mail turned up the next day, including a couple of items that had been posted before Easter.

Posted by Renata Hamvas April 30, 10:28AM

I've just spoken to a member of staff at Peckham Sorting Office. Unfortunately they are very short staffed due to a high level of sickness. Additionally. use of postal services are far higher than usual. They currently have a huge backlog of post. A fortnight delay to post can be expected for some items. (As well as delays in Peckham there are also delays at all points in the postal service chain) On-foot deliveries are typically only happening every 4 days on each round in SE22/SE15. Saturday deliveries have been suspended. They apologise for the delay and say that post should turn up eventually.
Renata

Posted by rjw37 May 05, 04:24PM

UPDATE:

So, I contacted my eBay seller to let them know my item hadn't arrived. Turns out that the item was tracked but they had forgotten to upload the tracking number. Either way, Royal Mail tracking said the item had been delivered (a week late mind you)- but of course it hadn't. I phoned RM customer services and the gentleman on the phone said that he could see that it had been scanned at the wrong location and that someone would get back to me in 72 hours. After not hearing back for 5 days I phoned again. The lady on the phone said that they had received a response from the sorting office manager which, in her words, "doesn't make any sense"...

What we do know is that my item was received at the Peckham sorting office, because it was scanned there, but it was 'delivered' to a different postcode. The Peckham manager apparently stated that there is nothing more that they can do because the final postcode where it ended up is outside of their authority - even though it was definitely in their possession before it went missing. Just how an item can be correctly scanned at a sorting office in Peckham but be delivered somewhere that isn't even within their catchment area, I don't know, and RM customer services seemed equally as sceptical. Customer Services told me I will soon receive a letter to say that it's gone missing but that's the only resolution i'll get sad smiley

My other package is now well over two weeks late and I have given up any hope of ever seeing it.

Though Peckham Sorting Office may claim that deliveries are late (or disappearing completely, apparently) due to a "high level of sickness", It must be noted that they seem to have suffered from a chronic shortage of staff since at least 2018, so "chronically mismanaged" is probably a more apt descriptor.

Posted by KidKruger May 05, 06:49PM

So basically organised mass theft of parcels.
Nice little earner for those involved.
What a joke they delivered a tracked parcel to the wrong address then claim they cant deal with rectifying/investigating.
Would be good to get confirmation of address so you could try to recover the parcel.
I wonder if the original ebay seller was contacted by whoever ended up with your parcel?

Posted by rjw37 May 05, 07:08PM

The lady I spoke to on the phone today was actually very helpful but said she wasn't allowed to give me the address (which I suppose is understandable taking in to account GDPR considerations etc).She did tell me it was a different post code completely, so the address must have been completely different.

She was also equally as surprised at the lacklustre shrug-of-the-shoulders response from the management at Peckham Sorting Office. The're argument was effectively "it's not my responsibility because it was delivered somewhere outside of my catchment area, even though one of my postmen must have, for some reason, taken it there in the first place".

Posted by Sue May 05, 11:46PM

There is apparently something very wrong with the management at Peckham sorting office, and it's about time something was done about it.

It seems no time at all since the shambles when the Dulwich deliveries moved there from Sylvester Road.

If it was me, my next step would be a complaint to the CEO of Royal Mail, copied in to Helen Hayes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was may 05, 11:48pm by Sue.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum