Attn councillors: Has Southwark council cut litter pickers?

Over the past 3 weeks or so I've noticed a really shocking build up of litter on the streets around Dulwich Village, North Dulwich, Herne Hill and beyond. This is isolated bits of litter dropped everywhere - it is definitely NOT the work of a fox getting at a bin or similar.

I have tracked specific pieces of litter which have definitely been there for at least 3 weeks. I have also not seen any litter pickers in that time, nor have I seen litter bagged up in council bags left at sides of road for collection.

What's going on? Local councillors - have the cuts meant that the council has cut litter pickers? Otherwise I can't understand what's happening.

I keep wanting to pick it up myself but to be honest there is so much of it. Very depressing.

Same here - Lordship Lane / Wood Vale - rubbish all over the place and no one coming to clean the streets. A rubbish bin has disappeared from a bus stop near me few months ago which means people are throwing rubbish on the pavement; I have requested a replacement over a month ago but the council can't be bothered to deliver it.

ab29 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

I have requested

> a replacement over a month ago but the council

> can't be bothered to deliver it.

There could be all sorts of reasons why the bin hasn't been replaced. What makes you think the council "can't be bothered" to deliver it?

I?ve noticed more rubbish on Dunstans Road and it?s getting on my nerves. Two of my neighbours had wheelie bins with missing lids (and rubbish flying off everywhere)and getting those replaced, with the very efficient help of councillors, has helped. But I still pick up rubbish in front of my house every day, which has never been the case before.

Elaine25 Wrote:

> My mother slipped over on the leaves in our road

> she is 87. I spoke to two council workers the very

> next day when I saw them using a blowing machine

> and lorry with hoover they told me that it would

> only be done once a month!

Hope your mum is recovering and I also dread treading on all the fallen leaves, especially as they don't seem to be swept up regularly.

sarahsouthlondon Wrote:

> Over the past 3 weeks or so I've noticed a really

> shocking build up of litter on the streets around

> Dulwich Village, North Dulwich, Herne Hill and

> beyond. This is isolated bits of litter dropped

> everywhere - it is definitely NOT the work of a

> fox getting at a bin or similar.

>

> I have tracked specific pieces of litter which

> have definitely been there for at least 3 weeks. I

> have also not seen any litter pickers in that

> time, nor have I seen litter bagged up in council

> bags left at sides of road for collection.

>

> What's going on? Local councillors - have the cuts

> meant that the council has cut litter pickers?

> Otherwise I can't understand what's happening.

>

> I keep wanting to pick it up myself but to be

> honest there is so much of it. Very depressing.

The bits of litter have probably been there for around 3 weeks because the leaves have not been swept for weeks and so you see it more! The falling leaves are more a problem but because of boundaries set up in the past couple of years by Dulwich/Southwark you could see one side of a road being swept, with the other side being left unswept.

How about rather than litter picking every 2 days and 4 weekly sweeping to just sweep and clean all streets once a week. I?m just wondering how much litter builds up on a daily basis on the street? Would an extra 50p per household be able to fund twice weekly cleaning and other community things. I for one wouldn?t mind paying that.

Rubbish bins often disappear, more likely than not to reappear, like the one at the corner of Goodrich and CPR which is especially useful as it is on the route to three schools!

I pick up cans and bottles, usually about eight or ten a day, just walking around. Give it a go (but wash your hands afterwards, just in case!)