Royal Mail claims parcel delivered- cctv and fake signature suggest otherwise

TTW

Today I received an email and text message from Royal Mail, telling me they?d delivered a parcel to my house at 11am.

This surprised me as a) I was out all morning and b) their messages claimed I?d signed for the package.

When I checked the tracking information there was a signature confirming receipt of the delivery, but it wasn?t mine- just a illegible scrawl.

I called Royal Mail and they suggested maybe a neighbour had signed for it. I pointed out that I have a camera on the front of my house and it clearly shows no-one approaching the front door all morning.

I?m thinking the obvious explanation is the delivery person stealing my item and faking a signature? Royal Mail say they?ve launched an investigation. Annoyingly this is something I?d purchased in the sales, so even if they refund I?m unlikely to get the actual item (now sold out).

I live on Chadwick Rd and this is the second time in the past few months that this has happened (but the first time I?ve had the camera to prove it).

Interested to know if anyone else has experienced similar?

This happened to me. I also have a camera but turns out the postie delivered to the wrong address. You could try knocking on doors with a similar number but really it relies on the receiver to either bring it round or send it back to RM who should redeliver.

I've always had a great service from the Royal Mail and find it quite astonishing that you are blaming a member of their staff for faking a signature!

I ordered something to be delivered last week from a delivery company but it wasn't. They sent me a dark photo of the parcel being put through my letterbox one evening when I knew I was in. Turns out they put it through next doors letterbox but they were away and I've just got it.

It?s been sent using their 48 hour delivery service- you get an email and/or text when it?s dispatched and delivered.

I?m always keen to give people the benefit of the doubt, but when you get an email saying a parcel has been delivered to your address and signed for by you and there?s someone else?s signature on it there are obviously questions. Our address is pretty simple (we?re not in a block of flats) and we haven?t had lots of things misdelivered in the past (except for one previous item that didn?t show up in similar circumstances).

Same thing happened to me on 11th December with my husband?s Christmas present. Say delivered and signed for by me (I was at work) with an unrecognisable signature. No card to say elsewhere as according to Royal Mail it was delivered to my house and no parcel either. Did ask neighbours but nobody had it. The sender is now sending out new items (however they were understandably suspicious of me which was not very pleasant) but obviously too late for Christmas. Not sure how this happened but leaves me reluctant to use Royal Mail which is a shame.

Passiflora Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've always had a great service from the Royal

> Mail and find it quite astonishing that you are

> blaming a member of their staff for faking a

> signature!

I had a 'fake mailman' turn up and actually come in and comment on my house - think he'd pulled the mail back from the letter box and rung the doorbell and tried to claim I needed to sign for things that did not require signing.

There are people around who will try it on if they can

Im still waiting for 2 small dog coats that were sent from Birmingham on 11th December. Unfortunately for me they were bought from an online auction to raise money for an animal rescue. They cant be replaced and I would not ask for the money back either.What do we do, we are at the mercy of a money grabbing, irresponsible company!

Seems as though Royal Mail's track and signed for is not living up to its name, have seen parcels left on doorsteps that presumably have been tracked during there journey but have not been signed for. So much for a secure mail system and no wonder things go missing so easily if this is how little regard Royal Mail give to securely delivering packages (and yes I do have evidence to support what I have stated).

There is a man at Royal Mail that oversees the department for these sorts of investigations. He is really nice and helpful and has called me several times regarding the fraud we experienced as a result of intercepted cards at the Peckham sorting office. I believe his name is Craig but the last time we spoke he asked me to tell any neighbours in the ED area if they faced any suspicious activity with their post. I would suggest getting in touch with him about this as it definitely does not sound right. Sadly not having problems with Royal Mail in the past absolutely does not mean they aren?t occurring now and there are it seems a lot of bad eggs being recruited somewhere along the line

Craig Wallace is in overall charge of a large number of delivery offices including the newly combined Peckham and East Dulwich office. He isn't based there but visits as part of his role. There are other managers who report to him who have day to day responsibility for the running of the office.

Thanks for all your comments. An update to this- a few days after Royal Mail said they were launching an investigation I got an email and card through the letterbox saying the item was in the depot ready for collection. No explanation of the previous correspondence or signature. I went and picked up the item but couldn?t find out what had happened. Still mystified but glad to finally have my item.

My parcel deliverer called me by name last week :) I have a reputation.

I'm still charming as anything in person to them but I will fire off emails - I heard that if for any reason at all Amazon orders keep being returned you will eventually be blackballed (maybe wrong).

I also have received an email today saying my original parcel is now out for delivery today (despite originally saying it had been delivered and signed for by me). Very strange. And annoying as new items have been sent out and now I need to return these when they arrive. On a positive note hopefully this shows issues are slowly being resolved and service improving.