Forum Sponsors

https://georgemonkhouse.com
xxxx
www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

www.facebook.com/dulwichecogardening

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
messageJamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by malumbu January 11, 05:02PM

Has he closed permanently? News please!

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by mac4 January 12, 10:13AM

I certainly hope not but, looking inside, the sofa and chairs have all been removed and it looks cleaned out. I hope its not connectd with the very unpleasent incident he suffered a few weeks ago. He was attacked outside on the pavement by a man with a hammer and knocked unconcious. Police attended and arrested the perpetrator and an ambulance took the barber to hospital. He was back at work after that seemingly ok but it was obviously a shocking experience. I hope he has not suffered further.

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by JoeLeg January 12, 11:54AM

Oh that's awful! I usually get my hair cut by Jaime, haven't been for a couple of months but was planning on going soon.

To be honest I'm not surprised if he's gone - he was saying that there's more competition in the area, and rents are an issue (like everywhere around here). I can imagine his bottom line was getting pretty squeezed. If he's decided to pull stumps I kind of hope it was a business decision and not the result of something more sinister, though it's a loss of another 'traditional' business.

Ah well, the inevitable march of change...

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by ontheRye January 12, 12:43PM

Unfortunately, Jamie has thrown the towel in after the incident mac4 mentions above, which was the culmination of a period of harrassment by the perpetrator whose hair Jamie had cut but wasn't happy with it
During my last hair cut in mid Dec, he said that he no longer felt safe working on his own; ever increasing rents etc, didn't help either
It's a real shame as he had been there for many years and will be missed

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by Sue January 12, 02:26PM

ontheRye Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Unfortunately, Jamie has thrown the towel in after
> the incident mac4 mentions above, which was the
> culmination of a period of harrassment by the
> perpetrator whose hair Jamie had cut but wasn't
> happy with it


This person must surely have been mentally ill?

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by malumbu January 13, 12:46PM

Thanks for letting me know, that is a shame.

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by Nigello January 15, 06:02PM

I feel very sorry for the barber, whose shop I have been to lots of times and where I always had a good cut and pleasant chat. And yes, "trendy" barbers are on the up - for now.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was january 15, 10:12pm by Nigello.

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by Milhouse January 17, 09:54AM

I was having a chat to him a few weeks ago when I was getting my hair cut. Seems it's an issue of rising rents.

He's planning to do mobile hairdressing (home visits) in the East Dulwich area. He gave me one of his cards which I'll try to dig out.

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by Rosetta January 17, 01:16PM

I noticed two old fashioned barbers up at Brockley Rise, SE23 when I was there last week.

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by Brian up the hill January 23, 05:30PM

I can confirm that it was the rent increase courtesy of the landlord that persuaded Jamie to pack up and close. This is what he told me. He is offering home cuts but will be coming up from the Kent coast so I presume he will do this in batches once he has enough to justify the trip. If I'm allowed to give out his number, it is 07973 469631

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by Robert Poste's Child January 23, 10:42PM

Sue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> This person must surely have been mentally ill?

Why do you feel the need to say this? It's a horrible thing to have happened to Jamie whatever was going on with the perpetrator.

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by Sue January 24, 09:39PM

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sue Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> > This person must surely have been mentally ill?
>
> Why do you feel the need to say this? It's a
> horrible thing to have happened to Jamie whatever
> was going on with the perpetrator.


Yes, of course it was a horrible thing to have happened.

What in my post made you think I have anything but sympathy for the victim?

ETA: A post above says the hammer attack "was the culmination of a period of harrassment by the perpetrator whose hair Jamie had cut but wasn't happy with it".

My point was that that was not normal behaviour and therefore there may have been a reason for the attack other than pure malice and aggression. I'm sorry if I didn't express it very well, but I don't think it is irrelevant to the thread.



Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was january 24, 09:44pm by Sue.

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by Mick Mac January 25, 10:15AM

Sue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------


> This person must surely have been mentally ill?

i agree, there has to be something seriously wrong for a reaction like that, to a haircut.

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by Robert Poste's Child January 25, 02:56PM

Sue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Robert Poste's Child Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Sue Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > >
> > > This person must surely have been mentally
> ill?
> >
> > Why do you feel the need to say this? It's a
> > horrible thing to have happened to Jamie
> whatever
> > was going on with the perpetrator.
>
>
> Yes, of course it was a horrible thing to have
> happened.
>
> What in my post made you think I have anything but
> sympathy for the victim?
>
> ETA: A post above says the hammer attack "was the
> culmination of a period of harrassment by the
> perpetrator whose hair Jamie had cut but wasn't
> happy with it".
>
> My point was that that was not normal behaviour
> and therefore there may have been a reason for the
> attack other than pure malice and aggression. I'm
> sorry if I didn't express it very well, but I
> don't think it is irrelevant to the thread.

I really dislike the casual labelling of mental illness many people still go in for whenever someone does something they don't consider acceptable behaviour - it doesn't help the situation and just makes anyone who does have mental health problems feel even more stigmatised. I'm sure we've had this conversation before, though, and I saw someone else made a similar point on a different thread the same day.

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by yeknomyeknom January 25, 06:58PM

I agree.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sue Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Robert Poste's Child Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Sue Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > >
> > > > This person must surely have been mentally
> > ill?
> > >
> > > Why do you feel the need to say this? It's a
> > > horrible thing to have happened to Jamie
> > whatever
> > > was going on with the perpetrator.
> >
> >
> > Yes, of course it was a horrible thing to have
> > happened.
> >
> > What in my post made you think I have anything
> but
> > sympathy for the victim?
> >
> > ETA: A post above says the hammer attack "was
> the
> > culmination of a period of harrassment by the
> > perpetrator whose hair Jamie had cut but wasn't
> > happy with it".
> >
> > My point was that that was not normal behaviour
> > and therefore there may have been a reason for
> the
> > attack other than pure malice and aggression.
> I'm
> > sorry if I didn't express it very well, but I
> > don't think it is irrelevant to the thread.
>
> I really dislike the casual labelling of mental
> illness many people still go in for whenever
> someone does something they don't consider
> acceptable behaviour - it doesn't help the
> situation and just makes anyone who does have
> mental health problems feel even more stigmatised.
> I'm sure we've had this conversation before,
> though, and I saw someone else made a similar
> point on a different thread the same day.

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by cella January 25, 07:40PM

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sue Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Robert Poste's Child Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Sue Wrote:
> > >
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > >
> > > > This person must surely have been mentally
> > ill?
> > >
> > > Why do you feel the need to say this? It's a
> > > horrible thing to have happened to Jamie
> > whatever
> > > was going on with the perpetrator.
> >
> >
> > Yes, of course it was a horrible thing to have
> > happened.
> >
> > What in my post made you think I have anything
> but
> > sympathy for the victim?
> >
> > ETA: A post above says the hammer attack "was
> the
> > culmination of a period of harrassment by the
> > perpetrator whose hair Jamie had cut but wasn't
> > happy with it".
> >
> > My point was that that was not normal behaviour
> > and therefore there may have been a reason for
> the
> > attack other than pure malice and aggression.
> I'm
> > sorry if I didn't express it very well, but I
> > don't think it is irrelevant to the thread.
>
> I really dislike the casual labelling of mental
> illness many people still go in for whenever
> someone does something they don't consider
> acceptable behaviour - it doesn't help the
> situation and just makes anyone who does have
> mental health problems feel even more stigmatised.
> I'm sure we've had this conversation before,
> though, and I saw someone else made a similar
> point on a different thread the same day.

Agreed. I was trying to point this out to Edcam.

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by Sue January 26, 12:02PM

I am not sure why you call this "casual labelling".

Could you explain?

I don't think my post was in any way stigmatising people with mental health issues.

Several of my close relatives have been hospitalised for mental illness, including one who was sectioned several times.

I think there needs to be wider discussion and awareness, not getting uptight every time mental illness is mentioned.

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by Robert Poste's Child January 26, 07:31PM

Casual in that you weren't involved or present, you don't know the person you're describing and yet based on very little iinformation you're making a judgement on a local online forum.

Mental illness wasn't the topic under discussion. You introduced it as some kind of judgement. Having relatives with mental health problems doesn't make you an expert it seems.

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by bigmacca1 January 26, 08:21PM

Blimey, This started out as an enquire about a local barber , Getting a bit off the subject don't you think ??

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by rendelharris January 26, 08:23PM

bigmacca1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Blimey, This started out as an enquire about a
> local barber , Getting a bit off the subject don't
> you think ??

This your first time on t'internet mate?

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by bigmacca1 January 26, 08:36PM

No

messageRe: Jamie Smalinsky barbers FH Road
Posted by Sue January 26, 10:23PM

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Casual in that you weren't involved or present,
> you don't know the person you're describing and
> yet based on very little iinformation you're
> making a judgement on a local online forum.
>

'Mental illness wasn't the topic under discussion. You introduced it as some kind of judgement. Having relatives with mental health problems doesn't make you an expert it seems.
ased on very little information?!"



Somebody has a haircut they aren't happy with, harasses the person who cut their hair and then attacks them with a hammer?

I wouldn't say that was "very little information".

ETA: And "some kind of judgement"?

How do you interpret what I said as a "judgement"?

ETA: And why do you suggest I think I'm an "expert"?

I gave some background to indicate (I thought) that I am sympathetic to and have experience of people who are mentally ill.

I really cannot understand why you are reacting to my post in this way.

From the information given on this thread, do you think the person who attacked the barber is completely well?



Edited 3 time(s). Last edit was january 26, 11:00pm by Sue.


Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum