Mr Liu Chinese Restaurant

ED Light Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sweet, sticky, stodgy westernised chinese food -

> hope the menu gets a revamp with something more

> modern than the 1980s appeal they have today

Don't get your hopes up! Unfortunately I think a lot of Chinese restaurants and takeaways are a bit stuck in their ways. They know what their existing customers like, and they're not prepared to take a risk by doing something a bit different.

ED Light Wrote:

> Sweet, sticky, stodgy westernised chinese food -

> hope the menu gets a revamp with something more

> modern than the 1980s appeal they have today

Yes, sadly it wasn't very appealing the last time we ate there (some years back admittedly).

It didn't really encourage us to return.

Hopefully, as jimbo says, they have upped their game.

jimbo1964 Wrote:

> Nothing wrong with Thai Corner.

It has had its ups and (very very) downs over the years since it opened.

Unless I was sure that it was now consistently "average", I wouldn't risk eating there again :(

fishbiscuits Wrote:

> Thai Corner isn't though!!

Hmm. It's straight up Thai food without a hipster flourish but I disagree. It got very average for a number of years but I was pleasantly surprised to find they have raised their game and have had several recently as a result. Flavours are good and they deliver super fast via deliveroo.

Yep - sometimes it's worth revisiting a long standing staple - chefs come and go.

One Thai I never went back to was Sema Thai (now Lux Thai?) - it was like British Airways Thai food. Again it may have improved...

Mr Liu was at one point one of the best for well made bog standard Chinese. But its been really poor last few years.

DovertheRoad Wrote:

>

> One Thai I never went back to was Sema Thai (now

> Lux Thai?) - it was like British Airways Thai

> food. Again it may have improved...

>

Went once on arrival in ED in 2001. Havent been back, as they made me keep my starter cutlery for my main course. i don't like that in a restaurant :0

Dover - Lux Thai (formerly Sema) is a wasted opportunity. I don't think it's moved on a restaurant in the 28yrs I've been in ED. Real shame. We went during the summer and I chose an obvious easy dish (Pla Rad Prik) which unfortunately was disappointing because it's sooo easy to make.

They are not even trying and the menu is plain. Thai food is such a great cuisine and we see little evidence of it there I'm afraid.

DovertheRoad Wrote:

> fishbiscuits Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Thai Corner isn't though!!

>

> Hmm. It's straight up Thai food without a hipster

> flourish but I disagree. It got very average for

> a number of years but I was pleasantly surprised

> to find they have raised their game and have had

> several recently as a result. Flavours are good

> and they deliver super fast via deliveroo.

I have to disagree with the delivery part - we waited over two hours from ordering to delivery the other day. Hangry doesn't even begin to cover it. They even hung up on us when we phone to ask how long our order was going to be. They kept the poor deliveroo rider waiting for over an hour. Poor show.

I'm looking forward to the revamped Mr. Liu - when I first experienced it (in about 2004) I remember it as "really good, but expensive." Worth it as a treat. My experiences in the last couple of years have been more "soggy, OK, but expensive." I hope it gets good again. I wish them good luck in the refurbishment.