Too many cars for sale on East Dulwich Road

jenf

In recent weeks the strip of parking opposite the East Dulwich Road shops (our shop Hop Burns & Black, Balfe's etc) has been taken over by a load of cars for sale, most of which have been there for weeks if not months - at the current count, there are at least 5 of these cars plus an abandoned van. It's incredibly annoying for us as a local business as our customers can't find anywhere to park - the last thing anyone needs in these Brexity days of declining high streets!

I've spoken to Southwark Council's parking enforcement team who say they can't do anything as the area is a free parking zone (although I'm sure it didn't used to be) and that they can only ticket cars that are infringing parking regulations. Reading up online, it appears that selling cars on a public road can be classified as street trading and thus anyone doing so without a licence can be fined under the London Local Authorities Act 1990, section 38, but the parking team say they've never heard of this.

I had a nasty encounter with a pair of thugs who were checking in on the cars today, which I've reported to the police, but is there anything else that can be done re this issue? It would be great to hear from a local councillor.

uncleglen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> One person is not allowed to sell 2 cars or more

> on the street...so if a group of people get

> together and sell one car each.....

That's only true outside London. Within London selling cars on the street is covered by the London Local Authorities Act whereby offering even one car for sale on the street is illegal street trading; the LA has the authority to fine any offender up to ?1000 and remove and destroy anything being offered for sale.

A simple and very effective expedient is to get 2-3 guys and bounce the rear of the cars out from the pavement to 19" at which point they infringe the regulations. Then they will get ticketed. do that for a few days and these cars will disappear. Wardens have measuring tapes.

Always works!

Remainder Wrote:

> A simple and very effective expedient is to get

> 2-3 guys and bounce the rear of the cars out from

> the pavement to 19" at which point they infringe

> the regulations. Then they will get ticketed. do

> that for a few days and these cars will disappear.

> Wardens have measuring tapes.

>

> Always works!

Your sole other post, since registering ten days ago, seems to have been removed already. What was that about?

ianr Wrote:

>

> Your sole other post, since registering ten days

> ago, seems to have been removed already. What was

> that about?

It was a SnapPost ie time limited.

The OP asked "what could be done re this issue". My post offered an effective soliution. What have you got to offer?

You may find that if they are looking abandoned (i.e. damaged) then the parking people may be more sympathetic (we managed to get rid of a couple of vans dumped near us that way). The other thing to do is check tax/MOT/insurance via the DVLA online checker. If any of those are expired Southwark will generally take action. It's such a frustration that Southwark are so lax on these issues.

TheArtfulDogger Wrote:

> Contact southwarks trading standards team is my advice

Ditto. Be prepared to provide them with what evidence you have that leads to the inference that the cars belong to traders and that it's enduring. They doubtless have limited resources for investigation; but I'd think they most probably do have the power to obtain at least the registered keeper details of any vehicles of justified interest. If it's not within their remit, they should at least be able to pass you on to the relevant department.

(a) contact Trading Standards and/or roads team

(b) if/when that fails (former is short on resource and focuses on rogue dealers) speak to your councillor

© if that fails then formal complaint or write to your MP

(d) then the PM

(e) then the European Commission (hurry)

I've made polite enquiries on the grape vine (stage a)

Pretty sure they were too but at some point the restrictions on the signs have been redacted - we'll be submitting a request to the council to reinstate them. The good news is that all of the offending cars received warning stickers threatening towing yesterday and have all been removed this morning. Apparently the majority belonged to the same person so assume they'll be receiving a fine.

jenf Wrote:

> Pretty sure they were too but at some point the

> restrictions on the signs have been redacted -

> we'll be submitting a request to the council to

> reinstate them. The good news is that all of the

> offending cars received warning stickers

> threatening towing yesterday and have all been

> removed this morning. Apparently the majority

> belonged to the same person so assume they'll be

> receiving a fine.

Great news. Was it Trading Standards or the Roads team who eventually listened?

• 1 month later...