DMC - has it improved?

Sue

I used to go to DMC but I moved because of factors unrelated to the actual medical care I received there, which was fine.

For various reasons I am thinking of moving back, but I wondered if things had improved in terms of frequent GP turnover, ease of getting appointments and receptionist efficiency?

Hi Sue

In my opinion and experience DMC has improved dramatically particularly gaining access to clinical advice and overall better communication. It?s easier to book appointments, view results and order repeat prescriptions online.

You can also use the eConsult service which is good for routine/non urgent matters. You can go onto their website, complete a questionnaire and then doctor calls you back within 1-2 days.If it?s an admin issue they complete it and let you know. I used to get so frustrated when I knew that I didn?t need to see a doctor but was still advised to book a face to face appointment and then no appointments were available. Sometimes I?d call repeatedly for an hour in the morning and eventually get through to be told there weren?t any appointments.

Recently I had some blood tests and I received a text the next day to say that the results were fine. I?ve always liked the doctors at DMC which is why I stayed registered with the practice despite the irritations at the overall service. Now I?m glad I was patient as the improvements have made a real difference.

GP turnover might be unchanged though as most of the doctors are young and move on for various reasons.

I think it has, they have this odd system of a doctor calling patients to do a phone consult before you can get an appointment on the same day, but it does mean that you do actually get seen if you need to.

The phone lines are always busy but I suspect that is probably the same everywhere.

Apart from one permanent doctor (whom I find very lazy), the others are all good and they seem to have good locums too

Thanks 1921.

That system of a phone consult first seems a great idea to me. It's making sure people who really need a same day appointment for medical reasons can get one.

I'm interested to know in what way a doctor is "lazy"?

Also, is there only one permanent doctor at DMC now? Are all the others temps? Or do you mean one of them has been there a long time?

HI - I also think the phone triage system works well. You still get to see someone if you need, but other issues can be dealt with speedily without having to head to the surgery.

Don't know how many are permanent/ temps but my kids and I have seen the same 3-4 GPs other the last 18 months or so.

At least one of the permanent GPs is the absolutely wonderful Dr Prabhakharan who is certainly NOT lazy (but is very popular and hard to get to see as a result) so I'm assuming 1921 doesn't mean her...

HP

As above it's much improved.

I like the phone call back triage. Extra appointments available at Lister (annoying to get to and no parking but at least you usually get in same day.)

I actually had my named "GP" Dr Gupta on my last appointment. First time in 14 years!

Ginster Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> As above it's much improved.

> I like the phone call back triage. Extra

> appointments available at Lister (annoying to get

> to and no parking but at least you usually get in

> same day.)

>

> I actually had my named "GP" Dr Gupta on my last

> appointment. First time in 14 years!

Crikey, is he still there? I thought he had retired!

He diagnosed my late onset asthma, after another GP kept giving me antibiotics for a persistent cough, so I'm very grateful to him!

Dear Sue

The "lazy" doctor seems irritated to have patients, I have seen her on several occasions for myself and with my children. On one occasion she didn't examine my son who had been vomiting for 24 hours and just said its a bug. We went back the next day and we were sent directly to A & E from the Dr's as he was really poorly. I raised a compliant.

On a previous occasion she didn't complete a referral form for kings. I was sent for an urgent chest xray but the form was not signed or stamped. I was in agony so had not checked, when I got to Kings they could not see me without a signature but they would call the surgery and get her to email a form to them so I could be seen. The person at kings said she could hear the Dr in the background being difficult and refusing to send and email.

The xray department sent me around to A & E and I started again, in hindsight I should have gone to A & E first!

I have to admit, the service has improved at the surgery. I've been able to usually book appointments online for between 1-2 weeks (i've even been very lucky to get an on the day appointment before). I've also found booking an on the day for triage (they allow you to book a call back from 7.40am on that morning) when I've needed quicker attention, and have given me an appointment, where it was really needed.

The website seems to be a little out of date, Dr Jennifer Douglas, I think has gone on maternity leave. They've now got 2 other female doctors working there, Dr Kate Jackson & Dr Dr Farhana Lalani, in addition to Dr Sathiya Prabhakaran, and of course Dr. Christopher Ward being the only male.

Who is the lazy doctor? I saw Dr Kate Jackson and she was excellent but a utterly useless nurse the week before. Can't get an emergency appointment unless you are v young or v old i think but do get a call back on the day to check if you need to see them.

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

lavender27 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Horrid GP'S and horrible staff.

Perhaps you could expand on the reasons for your post so that I can make an informed decision whether to register with DMC?